January 21, 2018, 02:12:07 AM

Author Topic: Do not cut corners when it comes to e-mail  (Read 1201 times)

joewevans

• Geek
  • Global Moderator
  • Student
  • entrepreneur/Wordpress Geek/Marketing Geek/
    • View Profile
    • Imajoe
    • Email
Do not cut corners when it comes to e-mail
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:49:05 AM »
Once you have your e-mail marketing list or you have obtained a large number of opt-ins, please don’t go run off and export your list and cancel your Constant Contact or Aweber account.

My support department has been receiving complaints from our clients regarding e-mails to their customers bouncing, because the e-mail scanning appliance used by their customers had blacklisted an entire IP address block.  This block just happened to belong to two of our hosting providers (we have three providers plus the VPS’s servers in our data center).

After a few pain-in-the-ass hours of working with the hosting providers and the appliance companies, we were able to get the ban lifted.  We had customers being punished for someone else spamming.  It might have even have been a hacked e-mail account. Who knows?

We are currently moving most of our clients who use a certain amount of e-mail addresses in house.  Our smaller business clients we are moving over to a Google-hosted e-mail solution.

The moral of the story: 

1.Have a back up e-mail plan just in case your hosting provider gets blocked. 
2. Use a high tear e-mail provider for mass e-mails (Aweber, Constant Contact, etc.)
3. Don’t let others manage your e-mail solution.

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
Re: Do not cut corners when it comes to e-mail
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »
some people have issue w/ google's privacy.. i use gmail for everything.. personal work etc

I'm so used to everything being in sync, up, fast, accessible and ZERO spam. I can post my email to a public website with zero fear

Love it....

I have all my various identities filed to one account and a separate apps account fro work

Yes getting banned all the time sucks... we have shared hosting we resell and it happens an annoying amount of times. Like once every other month i feel like i'm repealing blacklists from these shared hosting accounts.
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:31:20 PM »
Yeah gmail spoils you.  Still if your gmail account was hacked and you didn't have a list through one of those services. . .

You can always use shared hosting which gives you unique IP addresses instead of shared for your main domains.

Whatever you do a backup email system is still a good thing to have.

joewevans

• Geek
  • Global Moderator
  • Student
  • entrepreneur/Wordpress Geek/Marketing Geek/
    • View Profile
    • Imajoe
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »
To be honest 80% of shared hosting providers use the same IP address for there POP and SMTP servers. The best way to get around this is to either get a VPS or order a dedicated IP address.

I don't recommend doing this until you have a nice income stream.  Theses services are often expensive.