January 19, 2018, 11:04:35 PM

Author Topic: WhaLogo  (Read 2055 times)

Peytonriver

• Student
    • View Profile
WhaLogo
« on: December 14, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »
What makes a good logo for brand. Is there any "rules" that need to be followed? Then once you have a good idea for your brand what its the next step? Where can it be made and what are other particulars that a person might need to know.

Peytonriver

• Student
    • View Profile
Re: WhaLogo
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 10:44:05 PM »
This phone is killing me the, lol sorry again for header.

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:28:27 PM »
One of the "rules" I learned in graphic design class was make the silhouette recognizable with just 1 or 2 colors.  I don't think thats a hard and fast rule but look at the most recognizable logos.  Nike comes to mind.

Something my teacher once said, when designing a logo blast it full of simple. 
Resources I use.
Bluehost Web Hosting. Reliable uptime, great interface and amazing customer service.
Standard Theme The wordpress them I use for most of my sites

michael russell

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:52:50 PM »
I'm a graphic artist....  When I design, I like to keep it simple with one creative part that gives it flair or a focus or meaning... Look at most top company logos, they are simple. Also you need a logo and an icon. nike with the swoosh is the logo, but the swoosh is the icon. I suggest finding a couple logos that you like and have an artist make something for you with a similar "feel". Just don't ask someone to spend 10hrs and only want to pay them a couple bucks...

maaron

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 11:10:08 PM »
I've found Logo Design Love, a book by David Airey, to be a good resource.  It has a lot of thought-provoking observations and exercises to get your creative juices flowing about your own brand, what you want it to represent, and how you might best associate it with an image or icon.

I also like Michael Russell's suggestion about having both a logo and an icon, the logo being the "long form" and the icon for when you just want to put your "stamp" on something.

danzaland

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 03:55:01 PM »
I too am a graphic designer. If you came to me as as customer I would be asking what logo's you like, what logos don't you like, and why. Same with fonts, likes/dislikes and why. What is the idea/concept/feel you want your logo to convey. Fonts have baggage. Think about the Star Trek font, pretty distinguishable and will quickly lump you into a Sci-fi.Fanboy group even if you are something completely different.

Yes shorter, is easier to remember, but also think about saying that name and or website over a bad phone connection....say you want GoToJack.com.. it can be interpreted as Go2Jack, GoTooJack, or even GoTwoJack, so make it as clear as possible.

I also challenge you to not name your business after a street. What if Goodman Street Tire relocates to Main Street? It just looks bad.

Hope this helps and please feel free to check my portfolio on www.silerra.com... and yes it fails the phone test....

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
logo... keep it simple
Make sure it looks good on black OR white background

Make sure it can fit in a small space

I would also keep in mind what it will look like as an "app" icon

-Nick
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!