January 18, 2018, 03:22:29 PM

Author Topic: Rental problems..vent required  (Read 1630 times)

mxitman

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • RicksDIY
    • Email
Rental problems..vent required
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
So I just thought I would vent a bit here, we have a Mother In Law detached home next to our home. We had it rented out to an old co-worker of mine. Well after renting it with no issues for a year we started getting the rent late, then he lost his job and I found out he was on Meth. He said he was going to treatment but when I tried helping him out I found he was just lying. In the end we had to evict him and of course he trashed the place.

Luckily I can do most any home repair there is, so we were able to get everything repainted, replaced the range, refrigerator and kitchen island. Plus had to replace the broken toilet and sink faucet. Had to replace most of the carpet, molding and patch a dozen or so holes in the wall/ceiling. He also shorted out of the wall heater by trying to wire a 120V extension cord in a 240V heater? he must have been high...anyways there was about $4000 in damages done and he has skipped town...I don't plan on pursuing anything from him but it sucks when you are honest and have integrity and you get people that do crap like that.

Now I thought I was done but when testing out the Clothes washer the water backed up all over the bathroom...in the end turns out the 60 year old sewer line decided now was the time to rust through and fill full of dirt. So last weekend I had to replace about 10' of sewer line, half of that under a concrete slab. Was my first time working directly on the sewer main and for the most part went exactly as planned but I had a tough time locating the main line since we have so many hot rocks my metal detector couldn't find the line so I dug a 3' deep trench for about 10' before I found it. What a pain the butt, Looks like it might have been crushed at one time by a truck driving over maybe? Anyways it's working good now.

So this all happened while we have it listed for rent of course, have had about 6 people come out and look at it, and had 2 apply. Well the first one had all sorts of issues with keeping a job and his girlfriend didn't work and was going to school...I liked them but after talking to the owner of the townhouse they are renting now they always have issues paying the rent on time and have had numerous other issues. candidate #2 turned out to have child molestation & multiple drug charges on his recorded that he didn't tell us about. So since he lied and we have a 1 year old child I said No F..n Way!

So far, 5 months since we have had it rented...sucks big time. I hope I get a good renter soon, we were hoping for someone for March...but it may be April now...just hope nothing else comes up. Anyown in the North Seattle are looking for a place?

HVAC/R Mechanic, Stay At Home Dad Trying To Get Some Of My Ideas Flowing.

http://ricksdiy.com & http://heezy.com

David Galloway

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • David Galloway
    • Email
Re: Rental problems..vent required
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:01:19 AM »
Ugh, sorry to hear you're having a hard time finding decent tenants. I don't have anything constructive to say, but having had a roommate like those you've mentioned in your post I can commiserate.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
Damn, too bad and you were trying to help the guy out.

VideoGameRescue

• Mentor
  • Bring an old friend back to life!
    • View Profile
    • Video Game Rescue
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »
that sucks! I only rent to military families now and its taken a huge stress off my shoulders. If you live near a base you can submit your house to their housing board and your rent is auto deposited to your account. No hassles and they always take care of my property.
Retro Gaming and bring an old friend back to life!

mxitman

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • RicksDIY
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »
update, I got a great renter..at least I hope. The guy has been renting the same place for 35 years and is only leaving because they are tearing down the place to build student housing. He is somewhat famous locally as a drum maker, here is a link to his site; http://www.keplingerdrums.com/ I'm very excited to have him here. I have a few friends who are drummers and he has lots of good references.
HVAC/R Mechanic, Stay At Home Dad Trying To Get Some Of My Ideas Flowing.

http://ricksdiy.com & http://heezy.com

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 09:44:12 PM »
35 years, that's a good sign. Good. Hope your rental problems are over.