January 21, 2018, 08:54:12 AM

Author Topic: Advice/Counsel from Rt100K Folks  (Read 1528 times)

Raptor1

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • The Family Podcast Network
    • Email
Advice/Counsel from Rt100K Folks
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:50:21 PM »
I am currently reviewing books that authors have sent to me and will do short video reviews on them.  I'm also working on negotiating with some distributors (Graco) to review one of their swings since we are due for another baby at the end of March.  If all goes as hoped we will get a swing that we can review with first-hand experience. 

I have been back and forth on whether I should offer these reviews (books, products, etc) free of charge and make money off of the affiliate commissions...or should I use it as an enticement for membership?  I've considered some hybrid ideas like short reviews on books but becoming a member gets you access to full in-depth reviews.

I'd like your advice.  What do you think?

Trey

Rourke

• Student
    • View Profile
    • ModernSurvivalOnline - Thoughts on Survival and the World Today
Re: Advice/Counsel from Rt100K Folks
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »
My first thought is I would not pay a fee to read reviews on pretty much anything. I can go to Amazon and read tons of reviews on books, baby swings - whatever.

I think providing content to attract people and then look to make money through affiliate's would be more likely to succeed.

Good luck!

Rourke

Chair-Force

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:20:17 AM »
Ditto on Rourke's comment. I can find free reviews anywhere on the web. Everything from the reviews on the product's amazon page to just searching xyz widget review on google. I'd go with the affiliate approach.

Raptor1

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • The Family Podcast Network
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:51:38 PM »
Excellent feedback.  Thank you!

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 10:44:16 PM »
Possibly you could do all the reviews for free... then create a "consumer reports" style book which gives the new mother the low down on all the latest products. this would have to be refreshed once per year to keep it relelvant

The beauty is the blog is all your content, but it's pretty common to package up all the content plus some extras into an eBook and sell it and the thing is people are willing to pay for it because it's organized as a book vs a website where things are here and there.  something about that PDF...

For example instructables.com sells books in teh kindle store which are just collections of projects in a particular genere. 100% of the content is free online,.. yet $2 as an ebook on amazon.com

So i'm thinking this might be a decent monetization path for you.

What's your angle on it? Are you just looking for the best? Are you all natural organic type? (you don't need to answer these questions.. ask yourself)... anyway others are like you and are overwhelmed by the choices... would be more than happy to buy an ebook for $3 to $8 (depending on length and quality) that did the thinking for them.

Sell it as a PDF off your site, in kindle, nook, itunes... etc

See my post on micro-transactions for more ideas.

-nick
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!