January 18, 2018, 03:23:03 PM

Author Topic: Warming up early!  (Read 1078 times)

Sjones433

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Growing in Recovery
    • Email
Warming up early!
« on: February 22, 2012, 03:39:15 PM »
This might be weird, but today I get to ware shorts for the first time and it really brings those summer and spring feelings alive. I hope everyone had a great winter, thanks to both of jacks podcast I have taken it upon my self to start being more productive and self sufficient.  I am starting my first garden, I just planted some catnip and cucumbers (First seeds i have ever planted out doors) It might be to early for me but I don't think its going to be getting any colder the way the weathers been here this year. Anyone else doing some gardening if so what are choices of crop this year?
www.growinginrecovery.com Growing In Recovery: My Blog on addiction, recovery, and living a more productive lifestyle

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
Re: Warming up early!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »
Yeah, did some gardening today. Had to amend the soil and plant the fava bean and pea starts. I'm still waiting for a wee bit warmer weather as it has suddenly gotten colder here again, but I also have some lettuce, kale, and chard starts in the house. I can't wait until they go into the garden!

mxitman

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • RicksDIY
    • Email
Re: Warming up early!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:06:11 PM »
Haven't really planted anything yet for spring, I did put about 4" of compost from our chicken coop around our 4 fruit tree's I planted 2 years ago. I also added some compost to our garden. I planted garlic and onions last fall as usual and the garlic is about 8-10" tall, the onions are just poking up. I also built a  new 4x8 raised bed along one of our fence lines to use for my Asparagus bed, I got a dozen 2 year old roots to add there when I get the time.
HVAC/R Mechanic, Stay At Home Dad Trying To Get Some Of My Ideas Flowing.

http://ricksdiy.com & http://heezy.com