January 19, 2018, 10:57:07 PM

Author Topic: Random ramblings: Of Niches and Numskulls...  (Read 1228 times)

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
Random ramblings: Of Niches and Numskulls...
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:56:46 AM »
So after I created the app that generates the what I actually do meme I realized a few things.  One of them is I am not defining my target audience in my other blog (unreasonablog) the second is that I may not really have an audience.  If I had to say who my ideal target audience is it would be personal development junkies.

My dilemma is that I don't really know how to get personal development junkies...  With the meme generator, it already had an audience, and each image had the site name at the bottom.  I just had to post a few posts on facebook and forums and meme sites and BAM instant traffic.

My new site is getting 500-600 hits a day and the front end is terrible and people seem to not know how to use it (a project for sunday, methinks). My blog that I have been consistently working on for more than 90 days gets about 16 hits a day :/

Some things I know I am doing wrong:

#1 not building an email list. (Reason.  I need to purchase aweber, but at the moment my finances aren't good)

#2 not link building (after listening to the last few episodes, I am starting to get a few ideas. I have some respect on a few forums elsewhere and I might get some traffic there, but before I do that I need my list opt in form)

#3 nothing to sell.  I have a few affiliate links, but not products to sell.  I also need a free product to give away to get people to sign up for my email list.  I may even be able to use the free product to drive traffic by encouraging people to share it (and branding the hell out of it).

#4 terrible name (unreasonablog) most people can't pronounce or spell it. Also has no keywords in the domain name.  The "unreasonable man" quote that I based the philosophy is copied around the net and has top searches. My blog is on page 6 of google for the term "unreasonable success" just for an example.

Some things I am doing right

#1 regular content.  So far for the last few months I have been posting on Jack's one a day schedule (barring one or two missed days and holidays).

.... That's the only think I think I'm doing right.

Maybe personal development is a terrible niche to try to crack into?  My other passions are web development and business design, but those are already saturated.

So I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do.  I figured by putting out quality (or at least what I think is quality) content and sharing it I would be getting some traction. 

I don't really have the resources right now to go register a bunch of domains and build site networks, and I suppose I could do some free stuff on blogger and wordpress.

What are your thoughts on keying into a target audience and actually meeting that audience's need?
Resources I use.
Bluehost Web Hosting. Reliable uptime, great interface and amazing customer service.
Standard Theme The wordpress them I use for most of my sites

Joshuab

• Mentor
    • View Profile
Re: Random ramblings: Of Niches and Numskulls...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:44:50 AM »
JakeR,

Don't wait around for Aweber.  Use MailChimp.  It works well and is free.

Joshuab

Rehovoth

• Apprentice
  • Cognitive Dissonance Dampener
    • View Profile
    • Practical Permaculture to Craft a Better Life
Re: Random ramblings: Of Niches and Numskulls...
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:57:29 AM »
JakeR,

Don't wait around for Aweber.  Use MailChimp.  It works well and is free.

Joshuab
+1 for MailChimp. Works great for me, and it's free. ;D Double opt-in though, but you can change it if I remember. Search the forums for a topic on it.
Definitely get that email up. I waited 2 weeks and now wish I hadn't. It would have been better to get the email capture done than do another post. I believe Jack said as much in one of the early podcasts.

Eh, 500-600 hits/day is nothing to sneeze at, I'm sure not there. Ah, I see about your first blog. Jack did say in one of the earlier podcasts that subsequent projects would do better. Maybe that's why, or you just hit a niche right.

AFA cashflow, maybe you could do a quick eBook to sell? How to teach personal development or summat?

Someone here recently was talking about how one of the myths of the internet is that "if you build it, they will come."
But you gotta go them!  ??? Advertise, SEO, SM, guest posts, can all help drive traffic. Speaking of which, I need to do some more keyword research... :D
"In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they're not." - Adapted from Yogi Berra

The Permaculture Life - Enhancing Self-Security Though Practical Permaculture