January 21, 2018, 02:30:22 AM

Author Topic: This is what I actually do meme...  (Read 4173 times)

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
This is what I actually do meme...
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:10:04 AM »
So I tried to find a meme generator for that one... but I couldn't.  So I wrote a webapp in a day.

http://whatiactuallydo.net/

I'm available for hire by the way. ;)

Don't judge the frontend just yet, it was all backend work.  Will redesign graphically when I get the time.
Resources I use.
Bluehost Web Hosting. Reliable uptime, great interface and amazing customer service.
Standard Theme The wordpress them I use for most of my sites

j4mo

• Mentor
    • View Profile
Re: This is what I actually do meme...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:44:18 AM »
perfect. now go recreate the ones that are getting passed around so that your URL is on the bottom of the new versions and people may start visiting your site to make more.

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »
perfect. now go recreate the ones that are getting passed around so that your URL is on the bottom of the new versions and people may start visiting your site to make more.

yeah or make some new ones and submit them to meme sites

Good idea.
Resources I use.
Bluehost Web Hosting. Reliable uptime, great interface and amazing customer service.

David Galloway

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • David Galloway
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
Make a funny star trek one and send it to George Takei. His FB/Twitter following is huge and if he rebroadcasts it you can get up to a million views.

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:00:42 PM »
Make a funny star trek one and send it to George Takei. His FB/Twitter following is huge and if he rebroadcasts it you can get up to a million views.

Amazing idea!
Resources I use.

j4mo

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 06:06:44 PM »
I bet you could do that for a lot of little niches online. Libertarians, Democrats, anarchists, stay at home moms, etc.

Edit: You should change the words on the bottom to "Create your own at URL" so it's clear what the URL is.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:17:07 PM by j4mo »

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 01:29:58 PM »
I bet you could do that for a lot of little niches online. Libertarians, Democrats, anarchists, stay at home moms, etc.

Edit: You should change the words on the bottom to "Create your own at URL" so it's clear what the URL is.

Definitely going to work on it.  Kinda makes me just a little sad that an app I created in 1 day got me 500 hits the first day while the blog I have been working on for 4 months gets about 16 hits a day. :/
Resources I use.

David Galloway

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • David Galloway
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 02:02:50 PM »
Internet memes are like that. Ride the wave and hopefully some of those meme-whores will turn into subscribers.

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:26:49 PM »
Internet memes are like that. Ride the wave and hopefully some of those meme-whores will turn into subscribers.

Subscribers to my other blog? 
Resources I use.

jrj

• Mentor
  • Recovering serial entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • jrjBlog
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 02:49:53 PM »

Yes... your meme generator should say "brought to you by the good people at JakeR's blog" or whatever. It will drive a small amount of traffic, but when people link to it they give it google juice.

So in other words, it's beneficial in the long term.
--- JRJ : Adobe PM, former Microsoftie, recovering serial entrepreneur, Geek.
       http://www.jrj.org | http://twitter.jrj.org | http://facebook.jrj.org

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »

Yes... your meme generator should say "brought to you by the good people at JakeR's blog" or whatever. It will drive a small amount of traffic, but when people link to it they give it google juice.

So in other words, it's beneficial in the long term.

Sounds good, even if the traffic is all over the place.  Probably going to do a redesign of the front end and tweak the backend to make it better this weekend, then I'll link it and repost the link on meme sites.... I really should start making more web apps... :)
Resources I use.

VideoGameRescue

• Mentor
  • Bring an old friend back to life!
    • View Profile
    • Video Game Rescue
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 05:21:44 PM »
great idea! I'll probably use it in the next day or two about my current job
Retro Gaming and bring an old friend back to life!

PennyT

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Remake My Plate
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »

Definitely going to work on it.  Kinda makes me just a little sad that an app I created in 1 day got me 500 hits the first day while the blog I have been working on for 4 months gets about 16 hits a day. :/

Hi Jake,

Until I saw your post I didn't even realize that there were meme generators out there. I thought people were using some type of graphics program to make them. I checked out the one you designed and will be using to make one for my job as a nurse. Until then found one that would let me change the wording under each picture and made a meme about low carb dieting. I just posted it to my blog late last night and then put it up on Pintrest this morning. I share your sadness because this is the first post in quite some time that has people, not just spammers, commenting on it. I only had a few boards on Pinterst with several photos posted but that one is being repinned over and over again. Pretty strange how people comment on humorous things. I guess there are readers out there after all. Maybe meme's related to whatever blog theme you have is another way of getting people to visit your site? Guess I'll see how many stick around after they check out the meme.Thanks for making your app. Can't wait to use it.

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 10:13:46 PM »

Hi Jake,

Until I saw your post I didn't even realize that there were meme generators out there. I thought people were using some type of graphics program to make them. I checked out the one you designed and will be using to make one for my job as a nurse. Until then found one that would let me change the wording under each picture and made a meme about low carb dieting. I just posted it to my blog late last night and then put it up on Pintrest this morning. I share your sadness because this is the first post in quite some time that has people, not just spammers, commenting on it. I only had a few boards on Pinterst with several photos posted but that one is being repinned over and over again. Pretty strange how people comment on humorous things. I guess there are readers out there after all. Maybe meme's related to whatever blog theme you have is another way of getting people to visit your site? Guess I'll see how many stick around after they check out the meme.Thanks for making your app. Can't wait to use it.

Awesome...  Please just tell me you were smart enough to upload photos lol.  I have seen so many people who just hit enter after entering their profession as if it is going to magically google them or something... (which might not be a bad thing.... no way to control results though...)

But yeah it's making me think that the best way for me to utilize my skills right now is to just make creative use of PHP and make webapps.  Seems to be the in thing and potential for viral traffic.  Content is dead and tools are in?  Perhaps in my case.
Resources I use.

PennyT

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Remake My Plate
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 01:13:50 PM »
Awesome...  Please just tell me you were smart enough to upload photos lol.  I have seen so many people who just hit enter after entering their profession as if it is going to magically google them or something... (which might not be a bad thing.... no way to control results though...)

But yeah it's making me think that the best way for me to utilize my skills right now is to just make creative use of PHP and make webapps.  Seems to be the in thing and potential for viral traffic.  Content is dead and tools are in?  Perhaps in my case.

Hi Jake,

I'm not the fastest person when it comes to web stuff but thankfully I knew enough to upload photos. That's just too funny that people would think they could type of profession in and suitable pictures would magically appear. I would say that making sure your website or even a particular web page is listed at the bottom of the app. It could be a landing page, sort of like the type Jack has talked about, that tells them more about you and your skills in designing programs, apps or whatever. Use the meme app as another tool to bring traffic back to your site. I put my website at the bottom of the meme I made and I've been getting some hits from it since I posted it on Pinterest. Plus people are passing it around. It may not be making it's way to people within my niche but then again it just might.