January 18, 2018, 03:31:35 AM

Author Topic: The next 50!  (Read 5090 times)

Joshuab

• Mentor
    • View Profile
The next 50!
« on: December 13, 2011, 11:25:11 PM »
I'm number 51! Not officially in the first 50 but proud to be part of The Road!

Thanks Jack for sharing the things you know. This ties in well with TSP and financial independence.

Joshuab

Woody

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The next 50!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 04:22:22 AM »
Yeah. I'll consider myself a foundational member, even as poster #55.

Thanks for all the great info, Jack!

-Woody (the guy from the Denver Self-reliance expo)

midatlantic

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Helping people in the Mid-Atlantic region realize their gardening potential
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:50:58 AM »
Excited to be here and I am learning soooo much! Thanks Jack!
http://midatlanticgardening.com

Change is not necessary - survival is not mandatory.
W. Edwards Deming

AaronKevin

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
dang missed the first 50 oh well still excited and motivated to get to a 100k

Jon Rawlins

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 09:10:47 AM »
Hey guys! Just registered a domain last night. Thanks Jack for the kick in the ass I needed.

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:36:14 AM »
Happy to be part of the founding 100! Love this site and learning how to do this!  Cheers everyone!
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

Mark Rose

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 06:05:10 PM »
I'm user ID 10, so I'm really in the first 50 ;)
Performance freak. Website scaling expert. PHP wizard.

danzaland

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 07:13:35 PM »
Glad to be here within the first 100.. I think....

Craigzarkos

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 11:23:57 AM »
Hey everyone!  I'm late to this party, but I was first to sign up at 5MWJ when the doors first opened, so I feel pretty special... :P

My name is Craig, and I'm in the music biz. I've been a freelance drummer/producer/mixer for 25 yrs, and have been listening to Survival Podcast since the beginning, and while the content of the show has always been my first draw to the program, it's been watching him build the business of TSP that has been most inspiring to me. When Jack first started 5MWJ, I was thrilled to be able to peek behind the curtain at his biz plan.
Background:
A year ago I launched my first iteration of a content blog that I hoped to build community around, and then monetize in much the same fashion as Jack with TSP. I picked my niche based on it being "what I know" and a passion for creating cool interviews with music icons ( starting with drummers)

http://recordingdrummerproducer.com/
I was able to get it up and running, but was pretty much bootstrapping and doing all the production by myself, working on paying projects (the day gig ) and trying to be primary care giver for our 2 and 6 yr olds. Before the launch I had shot another 6 interviews, all of which still sit on a drive un edited, and obviously not posted. I found that the outsourcing for editing that I needed to do was just too expensive, so I'd need to take on more of the finish editing myself.
Along the way, the doubt crept in that I had bit off way too much. All the feedback from my related niche has been super positive, but I felt that I was kind of direction-less as to how to proceed, how to create content often enough, and how to ever monetize in an industry that is rife with "freebie" and "bit torrenting" mindset.
So, while I'm proud to have at least "gotten started", I'm definitely one of those guilty of not following through.
All that being said, I'm gearing back up to jump back in, alot of that kick in the butt coming from the new vigor of Jacks posting.

A good part of the renewed excitement is due to the addition of  both of my biz partners in the studio coming on board with the idea of a content blog, and one of them I turned on to TSP and he now "gets it" in a big way.
So, we will be combining our strengths to relaunch the blog/biz as equal partners. We still are flushing out a name, and overarching mission, and the content I've done so far will be re-purposed and absorbed into the new biz. Very exciting times ahead.

In the process of  creating and re committing to the biz plan, I've discovered some other sites that like 5MWJ, are inspiring the heck out of us to do this right. Hopefully we can all share with "open books" and support our efforts in this biz adventure.An open and honest exchange/ support/critique/encouragement of our path to 100k is very inspiring.  Thanks Jack for putting the effort back in, I consider you a mentor.

Now, I need help picking a new name for the company- and would love to get your opinions!

Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

craig zarkos

David Galloway

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • David Galloway
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 12:38:25 PM »
Hey Craig, I remember you from the old 5MWJ board; I think you went by a different username then, but so did I (I posted as Amator).

With building businesses there's no reason not to promote our actual names. :)

Welcome back!

carnstar

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 08:07:36 PM »
Bump! First 100!

Woody

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »
Dude, Craig, kickass site!
I'm a drummer too and am very intrigued by all the sick drums in those pictures. I especially like "limey," the little snare.
I can't think of a name for you right now, but something will probably come. I'll let you know.

If you ever want to talk through any ideas, I'd be happy to lend my perspective. Although, I'm not quite current on everything drums; it's kind of more a hobby/New Years Eve/every once in a while-type thing.
That's exciting stuff that's happening for you. I hope you succeed beyond your dreams.

-Woody

doozie

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 01:03:03 PM »
Guess I am in the first 100 as well. WooHoo  ;D

ukthebunny

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 04:14:53 PM »
Glad to be here.

Britton Scritchfield

PennyT

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Remake My Plate
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 06:49:27 PM »
Didn't make the first 50 but I'll take being in the first 100. Glad the forum and podcast was started back up again. It's been a great help.

Penny
http://plate-by-plate.com