January 21, 2018, 08:17:06 PM

Author Topic: Feedburner or Email? Best way to keep up with blogs  (Read 3153 times)

DeneBrock

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Country Consultant
    • Email
Feedburner or Email? Best way to keep up with blogs
« on: February 10, 2012, 02:23:26 PM »
How are you guys keeping up with your favorite blogs' posts?   I'm trying to come up with the best way to stay on top of content for my own site, plus I'd like a way to help monitor some of your sites (those of you who would like help..) and also help promote your sites. 

I have been just signing up for email alerts, but that's getting to be too cumbersome ... so I am thinking of switching to feeds.   Any advice based on your own experiences?

Thanks!

"Doing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life." — Wayne Dyer

Country Consultant - Living The Good Life in the Country

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
Re: Feedburner or Email? Best way to keep up with blogs
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »
I use both.

You go into Google Reader if you might have something that interests me. I will probably see the article's headline. I may look at the body.

You go into my email if you send out stuff that I might want to save as reference material. Copyblogger is on that list. I will see the headline. I'll probably skim the body.

Different tools. Different applications.

jrj

• Mentor
  • Recovering serial entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • jrjBlog
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
How are you guys keeping up with your favorite blogs' posts?   I'm trying to come up with the best way to stay on top of content for my own site, plus I'd like a way to help monitor some of your sites (those of you who would like help..) and also help promote your sites. 

I use Google Reader, but I have a reader called "Reeder" on the Mac that connects to Google Reader on the back-end.

Very nice app... handles the large volume of feeds I subscribe to (over 60) very well.

There are similar apps on the Windows side, but I haven't found any I love, I just use the web-based UI for Google Reader when I'm on a Windows machine.
--- JRJ : Adobe PM, former Microsoftie, recovering serial entrepreneur, Geek.
       http://www.jrj.org | http://twitter.jrj.org | http://facebook.jrj.org

VideoGameRescue

• Mentor
  • Bring an old friend back to life!
    • View Profile
    • Video Game Rescue
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 07:40:29 PM »
i prefer email
Retro Gaming and bring an old friend back to life!

j4mo

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 11:04:39 PM »

I have been just signing up for email alerts, but that's getting to be too cumbersome ... so I am thinking of switching to feeds.   Any advice based on your own experiences?

Thanks!

I use e-mail for important and personal stuff, ie) someone wants to push information to me. It better be something I think is important or I'm unsubscribing or filtering it into a label/group. I want an empty inbox.

I use RSS in Google Reader for information I want to browse. This forum included. I have a bunch of folders to organize the various topics and when I feel like it I go through and skim content. So maybe 2-3 times a normal "work" day I'll make an attempt to clear out my Google Reader. I'll star episodes and articles that I might want to listen to or read later, but chances are I won't.

Some of my e-mail labels serve the same purpose, I simply don't look at them until I want to.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 09:39:05 PM »
I use RSS. I have a folder in my toolbar called blogs with all my RSS feeds of my fave blogs that I regularly follow.

Rehovoth

• Apprentice
  • Cognitive Dissonance Dampener
    • View Profile
    • Practical Permaculture to Craft a Better Life
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
I use both Reader and email. Everything goes into Reader, for easy access.
For important blogs that I want to make sure I get updated on, I also use email (ProBlogger, CopyBlogger, Johnny B. Truant, etc.) 
"In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they're not." - Adapted from Yogi Berra

The Permaculture Life - Enhancing Self-Security Though Practical Permaculture

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 07:59:52 PM »

To be honest I check my facebook fan pages stream of other bloggers and pages I "like" more often than an of the aforementioned ways to keep track of blogs

I like it because it is a nice mix of articles people have written as well as I can see what other pieces of content that aren't theirs they are recommending. This is not only a great way to keep up with people but also to discover new content providers and it also gives me more opportunities to chime in and thus get my page's name out there so people can click on it.

Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 07:03:38 AM »
Interstingly enough, if I come across something I like, I simply add them to "favorites" and check in every now and then. Quite honestly, there is very little that someone can do that will take me away from something I'm doing to go read their blog. When I have free time, which is about 1/2 to an hour a night, I'll scroll through my favorites and see what jumps out.

Is that old-school?

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »
I think this is a great thread as a blog owner to read.

Anyone on here who has a blog should read this thread to see all the different ways our readers want to engage with us.  We need to take all these into account to support the wide variety of readers we have.  If adding email optin to your blog maybe helps you reach another 10% thats 10% more readers that you have a result. Same with adding a Facebook fan page for your blog or whatever.

As blog owners we need to do our best to include methods for EVERYONE to follow us and engage with us.
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 10:47:42 AM »
Amen - good to remember that we are users and not just authors.

So when your thinking about putting that popup window on your site think to yourself "Would I like a popup window on a site i was visiting?"

I think this is a great thread as a blog owner to read.

Anyone on here who has a blog should read this thread to see all the different ways our readers want to engage with us.  We need to take all these into account to support the wide variety of readers we have.  If adding email optin to your blog maybe helps you reach another 10% thats 10% more readers that you have a result. Same with adding a Facebook fan page for your blog or whatever.

As blog owners we need to do our best to include methods for EVERYONE to follow us and engage with us.
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »
I have a pop-up. It was put into place by the modified WP system that I use, and I can't change it. Wish I could. Is it that gross?

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 12:34:17 PM »
Jack uses a little pop-up widget to try to get new users to get on his email list... so it can serve a purpose.

Personally i'd get rid of it... but really it's up to you and what you want to do
Save Our Skills

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 03:03:57 PM »
No, I can't get rid of it. I have this modified WP dashboard that's basically for dummies. Since I have know some html and am not afraid of playing around with WP, it's been rather frustrating because I'm locked into their template.

I've been thinking about opting out of this service and getting a regular WP like you guys., but the thought of moving everything is such a PIA thought that I've resisted.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
How are you guys keeping up with your favorite blogs' posts?

I just remember to visit people's sites now and then.  I don't use any software except my brain.