January 18, 2018, 03:40:07 AM

Author Topic: Self sustaining website from day one...  (Read 19702 times)

VideoGameRescue

• Mentor
  • Bring an old friend back to life!
    • View Profile
    • Video Game Rescue
    • Email
Self sustaining website from day one...
« on: February 07, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »
I thought I would share how I made my website self sustaining from day one. I thought to myself, "Hey self! How are we going to convince your wife to allow us to involve ourselves with such a nerdy activity and pay for it?" Well after some thinking I thought why not take my knowledge of the video game world and use it to my advantage. I have a ton of video games and I know exactly how much they are worth. I also know how to get them for cheap around town. Lucky for me most people do not realize that the Super Mario Bros. 3 sitting in their closet will fetch them $10-$15 on the internet. On the weekends I go to yard sales, flea markets & meet people from Craigslist to buy a few games here and there. The games I find this way, I use as content for my website www.VideoGameRescue.com and then turn around and sell them on sites like eBay. At first I used a few games I already had and didn't mind selling after I used them as content. Selling the "content" that I find on the weekends allows me to pay for my video game addiction and everything I need for my site. I hope this helps anyone trying to figure out how they are going to buy advertising for your site or what ever else they may need.
Retro Gaming and bring an old friend back to life!

Rehovoth

• Apprentice
  • Cognitive Dissonance Dampener
    • View Profile
    • Practical Permaculture to Craft a Better Life
Re: Self sustaining website from day one...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 02:53:45 AM »
Oh, the memories...I still have an 8-bit NES I occasionally pull out so my wife can play Mario. :D

I like your approach. Simple, frugal, supports your habit, and keeps the wife from nagging, along with building your business.
Now where can I find some good cheap land... :)

"In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they're not." - Adapted from Yogi Berra

The Permaculture Life - Enhancing Self-Security Though Practical Permaculture

VideoGameRescue

• Mentor
  • Bring an old friend back to life!
    • View Profile
    • Video Game Rescue
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:43:08 AM »
Have you thought about spin gardening?
Retro Gaming and bring an old friend back to life!

Rehovoth

• Apprentice
  • Cognitive Dissonance Dampener
    • View Profile
    • Practical Permaculture to Craft a Better Life
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 10:41:10 PM »
Have you thought about spin gardening?
Yes, but it just doesn't seem to exist around here. Not that there isn't vacant land, but people look at you weirdly when you ask.
Anyway, I'd rather have my own land. I'm improving where I'm at even though we're going to move eventually.
I may have to get creative about finding land. I've heard of a book called "Mortgage-Free" that looks good. Now to convince the wife.  :)
"In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they're not." - Adapted from Yogi Berra

The Permaculture Life - Enhancing Self-Security Though Practical Permaculture

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 05:12:06 PM »
I'm probably a day late and a dollar short, but I love your idea Rescue and if you were anywhere near me I'd let you use a couple acres of my land Rehovoth.  Of course, if you were anywhere near my land you probably wouldn't have trouble finding land :)