January 16, 2018, 03:03:24 PM

Author Topic: Monthly journal of my blog's progress  (Read 10508 times)

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
Re: Monthly journal of my blog's progress
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »
Business Update - 10 months completed

I don't really have a lot to add here for this month.  I have had 21069 visits total according to google analytics from January 1st - November 1st.  I have just kept doing the same things I always have.  3 posts a week, focusing more on written articles now than audio/video.  I did change my domain name from a "biz" to an "org" since it is just my last name, and really it is just a personal blog.  It seems more honest that way.  It seemed silly for me to pretend I am running a company named after myself.  I set up forwarding so any hit going to my old site will automatically be redirected to the new site.

As far as money goes, I still haven't made any, except for $20 I mentioned in an earlier post.  I looked into setting up an amazon referal program, but it isn't allowed in my state (Illinois) due to tax laws.  I also have a complete shopping cart set up, but since I have no products to sell, that isn't being used for anything right now.

I have also got involved in a local electronics club (called a hackerspace).  That might have gotten me some more hits on my website, but it has also caused me to slow down in progress on my own projects because I got involved in some of their projects.

Really, this has been a time consuming and unprofitable experience for me.  It has caused me to improve a lot personally (my personality and skills with dealing with people are a lot better).  However, as far as a business it still hasn't amounted to anything.  I just try to take things one day at a time, and it is not like I could ever go back to my old life now anyway.  This blogging/business thing has taken over my life and it is not going away.  After 10 months of doing it you can't stop.

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2012, 06:52:56 PM »
We are in a similar spot dude.

I am in NC and we have the same BS Amazon rules here too. That is a huge disadvantage, but we just need to work through it.

Keep on pluggin man, we will get there!
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

ATMotorcycle

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Touring Motorcycle
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2012, 07:24:53 AM »

As far as money goes, I still haven't made any, except for $20 I mentioned in an earlier post.

I also have a complete shopping cart set up, but since I have no products to sell, that isn't being used for anything right now.

Really, this has been a time consuming and unprofitable experience for me.

This reminds me of that episode of 5MwJ when he was talking about people holding their wallet up to the screen yelling "take my money" ;D  Made me chuckle a little!

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2012, 01:14:31 PM »
Yeah I do have a few dedicated readers, who I know would buy pretty much anything I put up for sale.  However I don't want to sell people some junk ("here are some dead batteries I found...").  I need to actually finish a project and make something that is useful to someone.

Lately I have been teaching myself how to make printed circuit boards for electronics.  This is something I could sell.  It is just unbelievably time consuming to make any physical product... especially when if you are like me where I have no idea what I am doing and have to research every step of the process.

One of my readers just emailed me and suggested I put adsense on my Youtube videos.  That seems kinda sleazy but I might do it.

ATMotorcycle

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Touring Motorcycle
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »
It's worth a shot, even if you only make a few bucks, it's better then nothing!