January 21, 2018, 04:05:45 PM

Author Topic: Monthly journal of my blog's progress  (Read 10519 times)

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
Re: Monthly journal of my blog's progress
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 10:45:47 PM »
Blogging Update - Five months completed

My blog continues at the same pace, posting almost entirely about electronics now three times a week.  I am going to attach my Google Analytics stats to this post as a screenshot (Because I am too lazy to type it out).  My Youtube views are now 3541 total and my blog has 85 posts as of now.

I redid my theme a couple days ago.  I noticed that the display was screwed up on Internet Explorer but worked fine in all other browsers.  I never use IE so I didn't notice it and it had been that way for a couple months at least.  It was caused by a stupid wordpress plugin, WP-PageNavi.  I have decided to get rid of all plugins except for the bare minimum required for my site to function... I hate plugins.  Since I was fixing that problem I just decided to clean up my theme in general.  I changed it to a white background and tweaked some of the wording to make it appear more professional.

I guess the lesson here is make sure you test your site in EVERY BROWSER (and phone browser!).

This is probably the slowest growing blog in the history of the internet (especially when you consider how much work I put into it).  However, I have had some other ideas on how to make money.  Recently I started reading about "smart watches" which is something like a "smart phone" except it is a watch.  You can develop apps for smartwatches, just like you can for a phone.  So I was thinking that I create program watch apps and sell them.  This requires a certain low-level C/Assembly programming that most people have never done, but I know a lot about, so maybe that gives me an advantage.

Anyway, that is about it for this past month.  Overall I have just been trying to become more focused on single topics and popular topics (as opposed to what I think is better but less popular).

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 06:11:27 AM »
What I understand is that your blog is Cashdollar Automation? What have you done for backlinks?

A bounce rate as high as 76.52 % is not good. Also I think you should include a related picture in all posts. Is it 3,777 visitors in five months  or just this month?

Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »
I too dislike IE, and would have never thought to check my site in that browser. Thanks for the tip.

Looking at your stats, I saw you had a spike in March. What was that from?

Best,
Mil

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 09:41:25 PM »
What I understand is that your blog is Cashdollar Automation? What have you done for backlinks?

A bounce rate as high as 76.52 % is not good. Also I think you should include a related picture in all posts. Is it 3,777 visitors in five months  or just this month?

Yes that is my blog.  I haven't done anything for backlinks outside of this forum.  I started posting on some other forum sites with my link in my signature but really I spend most of my time at work and have real difficulty making enough time to read other people's blogs/forums and comment on them.  A couple hours at most each week is all I have for that.

I think the "bounce rate" thing was because the first 3 months I just wrote about whatever I felt like... it was more or less a personal diary type of blog where no one would have any reason to read more than one post.  It is only recently that I started to write about a consistent topic (electronics).  I started out under the mistaken impression that if I just write anything people will be interested in me.  Well, it turns out know one gives a damn what I have to say and I actually have to seek out popular topics or else no one reads my blog at all.  I didn't know that when I started.

I actually do have a related picture in many of my posts.  I think I am okay there.

The visitor count is since the beginning.  Like I said I am not very good at blogging, that is why I am trying to branch out into other things like making electronic gadgets/programming.

I too dislike IE, and would have never thought to check my site in that browser. Thanks for the tip.

Best,
Mil

In March some blowhard on Twitter mentioned my site.  I think he was going to criticize it, but wasn't successful.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 08:14:33 PM »
In March some blowhard on Twitter mentioned my site.  I think he was going to criticize it, but wasn't successful.

Heh, heh...I like when that kind of thing backfires on some jerk. Are these people regular readers now?

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 09:23:57 PM »
Heh, heh...I like when that kind of thing backfires on some jerk. Are these people regular readers now?

Dunno... I have it setup to require my approval before any comments show up so it doesn't matter anyway.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012, 11:58:38 PM »

Blogging Update - Six months completed.

Now I have been blogging for half a year.  I have 98 posts and my site traffic rate grows, just really really slowly.  I am now actually getting comments from real people (not just spammers).  I reply to every comment.  Usually it is just people seeking technical information, which is something I can help them with.

What seems to be the most successful way to get people to read the articles I post is to arrange the right title with the appropriate keywords.  I don't get many repeat visitors because my site is more about technical information.  It is probably too in depth for someone to just read the posts consecutively.  So the idea of trying to get some search placement in Google is working, but I also get some traffic from Twitter and Youtube.

I did have one really successful post the month, where the CEO of a watch company posted on my article because I was comparing his product to some others (in a positive way).  That was pretty surprising, so I've done quite a few more articles on "smart watches" since then and I bought the watch his company sells.  I think this is a niche product that could take off, but people aren't aware of it just yet.

To summarize what I have learned over six months of blogging... On the positive side, blogging has really changed my life in a lot of ways because I never thought before about how people perceive me.  I am also thinking a lot more about business works, something I never really considered.  My site is also a gigantic technical resume in some ways, so I could use it to find a job if I lose my day job (which is a real possibility).

The most surprising or negative thing I learned is that nobody really gives a damn about what I think or say.  For some reason when I started blogging I was carefully thinking about how everyone I know would talk about every post I write.  I later found that most people I know don't even read my blog.  I don't know, I don't think I am a lot different than other Americans -- we grow up with the idea that we are important or special in some way.  But that is not really the case.  It is humbling realize that I am no one in this world and I really don't matter in the larger scheme of things.  However, it is not all bad, because it gives you a great sense of freedom when you realize it doesn't matter what you write because no one cares!  Haha.

Some might see that as depressing, but it's not.  I know all that stuff but I don't care.  I am still blogging and working on my business idea anyway.  No sane person would be still doing this after six months with so little success.  Of course, no sane person would have started blogging in the first place, which is why I have respect for anyone who actually has a real blog they post to regularly.  However, I'm not about to quit.  In fact I find it easier every day.  It used to actually be "hard" for me to write a post!  Now I feel like I am just warming up and I have a million different business ideas, just a lack of time to implement them.

(Attached is my site traffic graph from January 1, 2012 to July 1, 2012.  I started my blog in the first week of January 2012.)

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »
I've been listening to the Smart Passive Income podcast lately, and one of the takeaways from one of the interviews is that it takes time to build an audience. I am glad you are sticking with it. Another is be everywhere, as in blogging, podcasting, and video.

That is an interesting comment about people not caring. I have to think about that one for a while.

Do you know where most of your traffic is coming from?

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 04:54:07 AM »
I've been listening to the Smart Passive Income podcast lately, and one of the takeaways from one of the interviews is that it takes time to build an audience. I am glad you are sticking with it. Another is be everywhere, as in blogging, podcasting, and video.

Yes having a podcast would be good.  In fact I thought it would be impossible to have a podcast about my topic but there are at least two that I know of.  I don't really have good speaking skills though.  A better idea though: I have a podcast in mind that I might be able to get on as a guest - I have to complete a project of some sort first though.  I am working on that.

That is an interesting comment about people not caring. I have to think about that one for a while.

It all depends on how you look at it!  :D

Do you know where most of your traffic is coming from?

Here is what Google Analytics has to say about it -
64.91% Search Traffic
20.78% Referral Traffic
12.84% Direct Traffic
1.47% Campaigns

Mainly Google Search, Twitter, and Youtube.  I don't know what "campaigns" are - I never have bought an ad.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 11:16:58 AM »
There are two podcasts that I listen to where I don't think the host has the greatest speaking skills, but I like them and I like what they say.  Anyway, this guy has some videos on it: http://podcastanswerman.com/learn-how-to-podcast/  I heard an interview with him and he knows his stuff!

Can you go and comment on these podcasters' sites and let them get to know you? That's what happened to me once. I started visiting this one gardening blog, would say stuff about bees, the guy got interested and asked to interview me! He's a cool guy. He just moved here from Texas to his new homestead, and he even told me he was going to invite me to his housewarming party!

Let me know when you get the interview. :)

That is interesting about your traffic. I wonder how much of it is YouTube.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 01:06:01 AM »
That is a great idea to comment on the podcasters website.  I just sent one an email because they read the emails over the air and their site doesn't allow comments.

As far as traffic sources, I get more from Youtube than Twitter.  This is surprising considering that I didn't bother to mention my blog address in any of the videos until the last two or three videos. I just had it in the description area.

I also didn't know about twitter "hash tags" until recently.  I found that if you put # in front of a keyword in your tweet it makes some people see it.  I still don't really know the purpose of it but now I do it when I make a blog post and it directly relates to some #hashtag topic which some ppl follow closely.

Marketing my site is definitely my worst area.  My real life personality is like the exact opposite of a marketer, so stuff that other people enjoy talking about I am not real good at.  I am better at just writing posts and working on projects for my site.  I am getting better at it though.  Basically in real life I am the guy who just does his job really well and doesn't talk about it, so blogging has been quite a change for me.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2012, 11:28:47 PM »
There are two podcasts that I listen to where I don't think the host has the greatest speaking skills, but I like them and I like what they say.  Anyway, this guy has some videos on it: http://podcastanswerman.com/learn-how-to-podcast/  I heard an interview with him and he knows his stuff!

I decided to take your suggestion and made a podcast on my site (two episodes so far).  It was a lot easier to do than I expected, so I will probably keep doing it a couple times a month.  It seems even easier than a video or writing, however you do have to know a lot about what you are talking about...

I think it makes sense what you said about "be everywhere."  I just filled out the itunes submission form so if it shows up there I might get a few more readers/listeners.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2012, 09:29:34 PM »
Awesome! I'm downloading your podcast right now...

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2012, 01:57:41 AM »
Install the Powerpress or Podpress plugin!
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/powerpress/
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »
Thanks!  I was not sure which is the best plugin.  My site is a writing/video blog and not a full-time podcast so I wasn't sure what was the right plugin was for a site with multiple types of content.  I'll take a look at those two.