January 21, 2018, 04:06:07 PM

Author Topic: Monthly journal of my blog's progress  (Read 10520 times)

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
Re: Monthly journal of my blog's progress
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 06:48:12 PM »
Thanks for the input.  That is a possibility - to have a beginner blog and a separate expert blog.  They could also link to each other occasionally.

One of the reasons I am all over the place with topics is that when I started my blog I was not sure what it was going to be about.  I just posted whatever was on my mind.  The Cashdollar Automation one would be the expert site (Cashdollar is my last name in case you're wondering where I got that from), and I could create another one for the basics.

Also your idea to post troll-like articles to get hits is right - my two articles with the most number of visits are about me bashing some super-trendy technology.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:20:57 PM by r00tbeer »

joelpackard

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 07:16:10 PM »
It's great to hear about your struggles and your progress. I have a new blog/podcast with only a couple of posts and episodes so far. The technical side of things has been a little tough for me but I'm getting through it. Keep up the good work. I will too.

Joel

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 07:25:32 PM »
Thanks.  There are definitely a lot of struggles!!!  Good luck to you and your site :)

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 11:32:49 AM »
Your progress report has been useful. Got lots of ideas from reading these posts. Thanks for writing (once again!) this up.

I've been thinking lately that there also is a longevity factor in that many of the blogs I read have just been at it for years. One bee blog I read, I can tell the woman doesn't care about seo or key words, but she does have a bunch of useful videos on her site and she's been doing it since 2006. There are also many abandoned bee blogs where no one has posted since 2009.

I started in August 2010. It was very slow going, and even though I took that Ultimate Internet Boot Camp course, I sure didn't know what I was doing. There were a lot of missteps and changes, and I had to find my footing. I'm feeling more sure about what I am doing now after listening to Jack and being on the forum, but it took me this long. I am sure you will find your way as I can see the dedication you have shown so far.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 06:25:44 PM »
Mil, hopefully I will be successful sooner rather than later... I want to make at least $1 in the first year.  I think you are doing a good job with your blog too.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »
Matt,
I haven't made much money yet, but have with affiliates and one time with a guest post! I think you can get there too.

PS Cool that your last name is Cashdollar. What's the story behind the name?

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 09:38:01 PM »
I think Cashdollar is an Anglicization of a German name, Kirschtaler.  There are a lot of people with the last name of Cashdollar, although I don't know any of them except for my immediate family.  There is even one with the same first name and middle initial as I.

I didn't like my name when I was younger, but now I think it is alright.  Perhaps it will give me wealth.  However, no one in my family is rich, not by a long shot.  Maybe I will be the first to be rich if this blogging thing works out.  8)

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 10:00:35 AM »
I think Cashdollar is an Anglicization of a German name, Kirschtaler.  There are a lot of people with the last name of Cashdollar, although I don't know any of them except for my immediate family.  There is even one with the same first name and middle initial as I.

I didn't like my name when I was younger, but now I think it is alright.  Perhaps it will give me wealth.  However, no one in my family is rich, not by a long shot.  Maybe I will be the first to be rich if this blogging thing works out.  8)

YES!!!!

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »
Blogging Update - Four Months Completed

I have now completed four months of blogging.  This past month I wrote 3 posts a week (not always on an exact schedule).  I am still having a lot of trouble making enough time to do this.  I find myself constantly wanting to work on my house or car or whatever.  Basically I only do two things now - working on my real day job, or studying blog topics or writing a blog post.  Everything else in my life is on "pause" except for some occasional social contact with folks.

I did make a change in what I have been writing, sort of following save our skills' suggestion.  For the entire month, I wrote only about electronics.  This is a huge change from my earlier efforts to try to be "all things to all people" where I was writing a wide variety of things.  I also tried setting up a separate blog from my main site, so that I could write about other topics on that, however I never got around to actually posting anything on that other site.

Interestingly, my visitor count has started to climb, but I don't think it is due to anything I'm doing.  I noticed that for the first time ever I started to receiving visitors from Google search queries around the beginning of the month.  Prior to that, I could find my site in Google but only on like page 5000 and by typing a word I misspelled on my site.  Now, however, I can find myself in the search results with a decent ranking when I search for stuff I'm talking about on my blog.  My guess is that Google took three months to "approve" my site and there is probably a human who looks over the sites added to Google and signs off on them before they will show up in real search results.  It took three months for that to happen!!

Here is a tip for people just starting out: For about half the month I was writing a lot about a particular electronics product that is extremely unpopular (8100 global monthly searches per Google keyword tool).  After looking at it in the Google keyword tool, I decided to switch to writing about a different electronics product that has a quarter million global monthly searches, and surprise, I am receiving a lot more visits for that one.  I actually completely hate this - simply switching to another product only because it is popular rather than for any technical reason - but I think I have to do it if my site is going to get anywhere.  Writing about unpopular topics doesn't work.

Here are my latest statistics since the start of my blog at the beginning of the year:
Google Analytics visits (excludes myself): 2,236
Youtube visits: 2,041
Blog Posts: 71
Net Income: $down a few thousand (due to choosing an expensive hobby to write about - the blog itself isn't very expensive)

I am starting to get a better feel for how this is done, so I think I can start to get more traffic in the coming months.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:19:29 AM by r00tbeer »

SPayne

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Prepstead Blog
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
Nice work on the blog, I have be going about the same time and have noticed that same thing about google. I am starting to get quite a few hits off of google now where the first few months they were sporadic at best.

Keep up the good work man.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »
I'm in the process of moving my blog and I had a chance to read all my old posts. Frankly, what crap!! ;D ;D ;D  It was interesting to see how unfocused mu blog was. Actually, I think that was good as it allowed me to wobble around with my training wheels.

Glad to hear you are feeling more in the groove with your blog and getting readers.

Mil

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
I'm in the process of moving my blog and I had a chance to read all my old posts. Frankly, what crap!! ;D ;D ;D  It was interesting to see how unfocused mu blog was. Actually, I think that was good as it allowed me to wobble around with my training wheels.

Yeah I was thinking about deleting some of my old wildly offtopic blog posts but I've left them for now.  Someone somewhere might read them and decide to become interested in the main topic of my blog as well...

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 06:46:27 PM »

Yeah I was thinking about deleting some of my old wildly offtopic blog posts but I've left them for now.  Someone somewhere might read them and decide to become interested in the main topic of my blog as well...

Why not keep them. You can readdress them with a fresh point of view. I actually like to refer to my older posts. People can see how far you have come. I try not to miss a chance to poke fun at myself. Lucky for me, I have a lot of ammo in that gun. :)
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 07:57:26 PM »

Why not keep them. You can readdress them with a fresh point of view. I actually like to refer to my older posts. People can see how far you have come. I try not to miss a chance to poke fun at myself. Lucky for me, I have a lot of ammo in that gun. :)

In some ways I have started a "different" blog in the past month although I am still posting on the same URL.  It shall be interesting to one day refer back to the post where I was doing a review of running shoes.  I just find it annoying when the same running shoes review is in the list of top ten posts when the actual topic of the blog is electronics! haha

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 08:15:42 PM »
You've gotten a lot more hits on youTube in the last couple of months than I ever have! Plus, you sound like you have more of a direction too.

Great idea, Shawn. I was thinking of taking them down, but what the heck, I could resurrect them as a lesson in what NOT to do! :)