January 19, 2018, 11:06:06 PM

Author Topic: Personal NAME brand vs. a company name brand  (Read 1809 times)

msellenk

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Made in America Holiday Gifts and Crafts
Personal NAME brand vs. a company name brand
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:08:59 PM »
I am considering changing the branding that I've used for 6 years from my company brand (Pocket Meadow Farm) (which has a limited scope of activities and products) to using my name as a brand (which I have used in my graphic design work). I have philosophical reasons for this: transparency is one, personal integrity, and building on my reputation are others. There's so much out there that you have no idea who is behind — well, compare it to "jackspirko.com" vs. "anonomousbusinessadvice.com". You can clearly see which is better.

I feel that a name has the potential to be much a stronger brand — providing you don't do something really stupid. This is a direction I've been heading in for a few years, but before I jump, I'd like some other opinions. THANKS!

The top logo is what I've been using, the other two are ideas for rebranding in a consistent manner. I'm forgetting how to insert an image in this forum; this is an attachment, which may not show up in the post.

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
Re: Personal NAME brand vs. a company name brand
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »
I would agree if that's where you want to take your business.  Think of names like Lisa Frank, Betty Crocker (fictional I believe, but still), Martha Stewart.  All are personal brands that are highly successful.  I like the simple clean look for the font choice too. Maybe go with a muted oatmeal color for the background and some desaturated greens for other elements on your page.  (sorry, couldn't help myself.  I'm not a graphic designer, but I play one in real life). :D
Resources I use.
Bluehost Web Hosting. Reliable uptime, great interface and amazing customer service.
Standard Theme The wordpress them I use for most of my sites

msellenk

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Made in America Holiday Gifts and Crafts
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 11:05:59 PM »
Thanks for the input! I've been on the road for a bit so haven't had time to check in :) I use a warm red for the graphic design logo, and had not thought about color for the others. On my soap labeling I tend to use kraft and oatmeal papers. Yes, clean and simple, that's the goal.

Madman

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Calusa Commons
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 10:23:22 AM »
If you ever want to sell the business in the future, having it on your name will make it harder.

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
Depends on your name. If your name is Heilmeck Squartenzburgerscoff then I would advise against it
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 07:48:25 PM »
I think the answer is to do both. Jack was "branding his name" the entire time he worked on TSP. The brand is you regardless of the domain name or the business name.

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
I've been doing both too. Seems fine since it's just me. Plus my name isn't Heilmeck Squartenzburgerscoff. I'd be one tough kid if I got through school with that.