Author Topic: Eggs  (Read 2725 times)

Paul_SSA

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Safety Solutions Academy Podcast
    • Email
Eggs
« on: February 02, 2012, 03:53:47 PM »
The best part of my day so far is that I made some great eggs just how I like them for breakfast.  My day hasn't been bad, but I have been trying to get it right for that long.  

I got some new stainless pans for Christmas.  Really nice.  except when I try to fry an egg.  Come to find out proteins and SS are friends, good friends that like to stick together.  Literally.  Well today I got it right.  I set the temperature at the perfect spot, preheated the pan just long enough, used just enough oil and they went over.  Easy.  Browned on both sides, yolks still runny. Pan wiped clean.

Add to that my podcast got some great traction today with an interview I did at SHOT Show and I hardly even care that my current upload speed is .2 Mbs..................this message should be posted by next Tuesday.  So I've got that going for me.  Which is nice. ;)
pc
www.SafetySolutionsAcademy.com

Safety Solutions Academy:  Saving lives through information, education and training.

David Galloway

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • David Galloway
    • Email
Re: Eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:02:28 PM »
For eggs I like using my 50 year+ cast iron skillet. It was my grandmothers and one of my most treasured possessions. Looking into that thing is like looking into a black hole, and nothing sticks to it.

WiMary

• Student
    • View Profile
    • The Wisconsin Times
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
For eggs I like using my 50 year+ cast iron skillet. It was my grandmothers and one of my most treasured possessions. Looking into that thing is like looking into a black hole, and nothing sticks to it.
I love my cast iron too!  Can't imagine what kind of cook I would be without it  :-\

Paul_SSA

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »
Cast Iron would be great, but, my family was way to non stick for cast Iron so now I have ss.  I'm not dissapointed either it works well.

and good news, it really works I got the same results today!

Safety Solutions Academy:  Saving lives through information, education and training.

ClaytonJacobs

• Student
  • "Be Fruitful and Mulch Apply!"
    • View Profile
    • Deeply Rooted Organics
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 11:08:52 PM »
I gotta speak up about the cast iron! I have two of my grandma's cast iron pans and I would say they are way high up there on my list of valuable possessions!
They are used everyday and are amazing to cook a couple of eggs on.
All the best,
C
"Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now"

-Thomas Jefferson
Notes on the State of Virginia, 1781

j4mo

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 01:38:03 AM »
We just picked up 3 cast iron pans for $30, 3 different sizes. Win?

mxitman

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • RicksDIY
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 02:31:02 AM »
we got these really high dollar SS set of pans for our wedding 5 years ago and have used them like 2 times..I hate them...I got so used to eating teflon that I can't cook anything with them unless it's liquid based. I've tried the cast iron, but even though I've seasoned it hundreds of times I still can't cook eggs in them...even when I cook bacon first and use the grease left over...what's my issue?...lol
HVAC/R Mechanic, Stay At Home Dad Trying To Get Some Of My Ideas Flowing.

http://ricksdiy.com & http://heezy.com

Paul_SSA

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 05:11:29 AM »
We just picked up 3 cast iron pans for $30, 3 different sizes. Win?

Yeah, that is a win IMHO.  People buy cast iron for camping and then never go camping so they get rid of it.  Gotta love used stuff.

Paul_SSA

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 05:13:25 AM »
we got these really high dollar SS set of pans for our wedding 5 years ago and have used them like 2 times..I hate them...I got so used to eating teflon that I can't cook anything with them unless it's liquid based. I've tried the cast iron, but even though I've seasoned it hundreds of times I still can't cook eggs in them...even when I cook bacon first and use the grease left over...what's my issue?...lol

Just a guess, but I would say you are cooking at too high of a temp.  Also make sure that the pan is good and hot before you put your eggs in.

David Galloway

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • David Galloway
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 08:26:08 AM »

Paul gave two good ideas, but I also recommend watching people cook on cast iron skillets on YouTube. Cast Iron has a slightly different technique that for me was easier to pick up after watching an experienced person cook with it.

Here's a video from Paul Wheaton's site and here is his full article on cast iron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3hGxEpuY2U

mxitman

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • RicksDIY
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 11:11:21 AM »
thanks I will try that out, the eggs seem to cook fine if i don't scramble them...but when I mix them they start sticking to the bottom.
HVAC/R Mechanic, Stay At Home Dad Trying To Get Some Of My Ideas Flowing.

http://ricksdiy.com & http://heezy.com

Paul_SSA

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »

Paul gave two good ideas, but I also recommend watching people cook on cast iron skillets on YouTube. Cast Iron has a slightly different technique that for me was easier to pick up after watching an experienced person cook with it.

Here's a video from Paul Wheaton's site and here is his full article on cast iron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3hGxEpuY2U

How awesome is youtube.  just think how much information and knowledge can change hands now because of the interweb.  THANK YOU AL GORE!

CandyBabyE

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »
Ditto on the cast iron pans. Best things ever.  ;D

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 10:27:18 PM »
I read somewhere that eggs, or any food, will stick to the pan because it gets stuck in the microscopic holes in the metal. You'll want to heat up the pan (but not smoking hot) in order to get those holes to expand, and then add the oil. Supposedly, the oil fills the holes instead, which prevents sticking. The eggs are getting stuck in the holes. Hope that makes sense.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 10:48:28 PM »
Cast Iron has my vote in most cases.