January 18, 2018, 03:20:52 PM

Author Topic: Keeping track of ideas  (Read 4108 times)

David Galloway

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • David Galloway
    • Email
Re: Keeping track of ideas
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 10:50:32 AM »
When I'm in front of my computer, I do the same thing Heidi does.. start a draft, or open up notepad and jot down some notes.  But my best friend is a spiral notebook and a pen...  and I actually have a few articles that I started on the back of a grocery store receipt, since I seem to LIVE at the grocery store..  ;)

Dene, you should really take a look at Simplenote, it's like having notepad that automatically saves, can be accessed from any computer or your phone, and is searchable. You can even go back to previous versions of the same note(txt file) if you want to get back sections you deleted.

DeneBrock

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Country Consultant
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 10:57:16 AM »
I will do that.. thanks!
"Doing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life." — Wayne Dyer

Country Consultant - Living The Good Life in the Country

vet1776

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »
I am a big fan of pen and paper but I have also been using mind mapping techniques and found some great free software that is easy to get started with. http://freemind.en.softonic.com/ This has led to make my notes on plain unlined paper. The end of linear note making. Really has helped the last couple of episodes to get scripted at todolisthome.com, got another site up at growmorenow.com and have an outline for an e-book now. All done in the past 48. Hope you find this helpful.

hoping4better

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 07:43:06 AM »
I am a big fan of pen and paper but I have also been using mind mapping techniques and found some great free software that is easy to get started with. http://freemind.en.softonic.com/ This has led to make my notes on plain unlined paper. The end of linear note making. Really has helped the last couple of episodes to get scripted at todolisthome.com, got another site up at growmorenow.com and have an outline for an e-book now. All done in the past 48. Hope you find this helpful.

I would love to know how you use mindmapping. I have thought about using the technique as I've heard good things, but I have never actually seen it used or had anyone tell me how they use it. Please share. as I get frustrated with many of the linear type methods of note taking or outlining. Thanks.

PrimalTroy

• Student
  • These may indeed be the ravings of a lunatic mind.
    • View Profile
    • Primal Aspects
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 09:25:40 AM »
Interesting. I had never heard of Mind Mapping but after doing a little reading on it I am intrigued.
Come see where Art meets Self Sufficiency
http://PrimalAspects.com

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 07:09:28 PM »
You can use Mind Mapping for ANYTHING. It is a truly unordered list.... it's an organic outline.

I've used it to track topics I'm writing about. I've used it to track the data layout for websites I'm building. I've used it to help write a grocery list.

Prepping101

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 12:55:22 PM »
I use OmniFocus.  It is a Mac product.  It syncs well across multiple devices.

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 01:56:30 PM »
evernote.com
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

two_OMind

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 10:58:08 AM »
Another for Evernote and GTD.  These two work together very well, with Evernote's plethora of ways to add content to your notebooks, though I personally keep a paper notepad as I like writing/it can be faster for getting ideas down.  With its organizational flexibility, there are a few ways of implementing GTD in Evernote and a web search will provide you with some ideas on implementation.

Madman

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Calusa Commons
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 07:46:27 AM »
I use a productivity philosophy called Getting Things Done based on the book of the same name. Many software programs such as Evernote and Remember the Milk were based on this philosophy, but I prefer to use a paper notebook and sync important info to either Google Documents or Google Calendar.
I found a website (www.thesecretweapon.org) that ties the use of Evernote with the book Getting Things Done.  I have now switched to using Evernote for projects and organizing my electronic desk.  I still use my blackberry's task list for the simple "To DO" list though.