January 19, 2018, 12:59:18 PM

Author Topic: Authors and Ebooks  (Read 18941 times)

Mike.SP_Aqua

• Student
    • MSN Messenger - elliottmk@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Springport Aquaponics
    • Email
Authors and Ebooks
« on: January 30, 2012, 07:10:11 PM »
I thought I'd share the sentiment that I am getting from a podcast about fiction writing.  It applies here, I promise. ;)

On this podcast the host regularly interviews professional authors and publishers.  The podcast is called “I Should Be Writing” and I have no stake in it other than I listen to it.  In episode #204 the host interviews a couple who publish books both in eBook form and Print-on-Demand.  In episode #214 the host interviews an international bestselling author.  (These interview take place late in the podcast, I’ll post again later with exact times.)

Both of these interviews seem to lead to the same realization; the publishing industry has changed.  It hasn’t just changed in the fact that now you can download an eBook to your eReader.  It has changed in the way that publishers are deciding who they should publish. 

An author is now expected to write a good book.  Then either offer it as an eBook or read its chapters as individual podcasts.  After the book has gathered a large enough following on its own, the publisher will then step in and make an offer to publish the book as a paperback or hard cover.  The idea is that the following of fans who like the book as a podcast or eBook will now come to the publisher for the physical book.  In this way, most of the initial marketing is already done by the author before the publisher has even spent a dime on the book.

This new publishing model struck a chord with me as sounding very familiar to what Jack has been saying all along.  Build your customer base with blogging and then sell them your eBooks (or other added value).  I thought this might be useful information for some of my fellow Road-runners. :P

Michael Elliott.
http://www.springportaquaponics.com
Twitter: @Sp_Aquaponics
Zello: Michigan Aquaponics

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
Re: Authors and Ebooks
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:16:56 AM »
Seth Godin has been screaming about the metamorphosis of the publishing industry for awhile.

You should check out his piece: The Forever Recession: http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2011/09/the-forever-recession.html