January 18, 2018, 03:37:50 AM

Author Topic: Favorite WordPress Theme Site  (Read 8750 times)

monderno

• Apprentice
  • Brandon
    • View Profile
    • Monderno
    • Email
Favorite WordPress Theme Site
« on: December 13, 2011, 01:38:17 PM »
Either free or paid for, what is your favorite website for finding WordPress themes? Mine is ThemeForest without a doubt.

Honorable mention: WooThemes

Richard

• Apprentice
  • Cheating Death and Fighting Communism
    • View Profile
    • BlueSheepdog.com
Re: Favorite WordPress Theme Site
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »
I'm partial to iThemes.  There is a lot of flexibility built into their themes (don't blame any design ugliness on my sites on them...I claim all responsibility for that.) They are paid themes.  Customer support is good (not great, but not bad either).

-Richard
Dad, husband, cop and defender of The Wall.  If you are interested in firearms, self defense, or police stuff, check out my websites BlueSheepdog.com and GunsHolstersAndGear.com.

toptec

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Experience Homesteading
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 03:31:28 PM »
I like Atahualpa.  Allows a lot of customization.  I am also playing around with intrepidity, platform, and adventure though none offer near the options of Atahualpa.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:43:29 PM by toptec »
www.experiencehomesteading.com  A self-sufficient lifestyle journey

David Galloway

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • David Galloway
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 03:40:11 PM »
I like Atahualpa.  Allows a lot of customization.

I used Atahualpa for my last blog and loved the deep level of customization. No need to buy Thesis if you're willing to learn Atahualpa.

My next blog will be a 3-column magazine style layout so I will probably use a $30 Themeforest theme to get started, although I'm sorely tempted to ripoff my employer and go with Qawker
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:45:07 AM by David Galloway »

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 03:42:04 PM »
I used Suffusion but Genesis is growing on me.

Suffusion has a ton of options, but those options really slow it down. Genesis is flexible but still agile.

Suffusion: http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/suffusion
Genesis: http://www.studiopress.com/themes/genesis

JakeR

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • JakeFactor.com
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 07:11:47 PM »
I'm partial to Standard Theme right now.  Could use more customization in the future, but the pricepoint and license was what got me.  99 bucks for a developer license and unlimited updates.  They just pushed one recently and are adding native mobile detection by the beginning of next year.  The price also gives you access to their support forum which questions get answered more often than not.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 03:10:53 PM by JakeR »
Resources I use.
Bluehost Web Hosting. Reliable uptime, great interface and amazing customer service.
Standard Theme The wordpress them I use for most of my sites

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 09:36:17 AM »
Currently, my favorite free Wordpress theme is Weaver.  http://boomerempowerment.com/wordpress101/weaver/   

Lets you easily change colors, header, background image and more.  Sidebars and widgets lots of options, page templates and more.  I also bought their premium plugin which gave me more options for customizing the css without having to go into the core theme files, helps with upgrades, etc. 

DeneBrock

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Country Consultant
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 10:05:22 AM »
I've used several of Justin Tadlock's themes.  Easy to customize and good support.  I've also purchased themes from PremiumPress in the past with good results.
"Doing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life." — Wayne Dyer

Country Consultant - Living The Good Life in the Country

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 10:21:17 AM »
Dene, I've used Justin's Structure theme on one of my sites for the past several years, it is still working, I keep thinking I should change it to something newer, but not on my list of priorities.

Premium Press, I'm not a fan of their documentation or customer support unless they've upgraded it.  I expect support for a premium theme.  When support is long videos that you spend much time watching to see if it answers your questions and it doesn't and you can't contact support to ask is a problem.  (videos and theme weren't same version either).  I could call and talk to sales support but to get theme support I'd have to uninstall all plugins and send them ftp and login info and they'd get back within a unspecified amount of time.  (turning off the plugins which runs their theme breaks stuff and site looks ugly, not good if existing live site, esp is your question is a general how to use theme question, and they can easily turn off plugins when they work on the site.)

DeneBrock

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Country Consultant
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 10:44:28 AM »
wow txmom, they've been pretty good for me, but I haven't had any real problems that required tech support.  I think I've only contacted them once.   

I'll tell you someone that has given really good support (although this is not wordpress, so I won't go crazy talking about it)  3dCart shopping cart software.   I've been very impressed with their sales team and tech support.
"Doing what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life." — Wayne Dyer

Country Consultant - Living The Good Life in the Country

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 01:50:37 PM »
Hopefully Premium Press has improved since then, it has been about a year.  I had no way to contact them for customer support other than the submit trouble ticket option as I mentioned.  I did talk to sales support which could not answer any questions and they said yes, the only way to get tech support was to submit a trouble ticket and that they usually answer withing 48 hours, not wanting site broken for 2 days found own answer.  I did tell them they needed to have a least a forum where general questions could be asked and shared, etc.  I was told that was a good idea and that they might add one.

Andy44

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 02:01:42 PM »
For a free theme I've been using Atahualpa and it's very customisable. I've recently been using the Genesis framework from studio press.com for some premier sites. Atahualpa lets you do a lot - Genesis (and it's child themes) makes it very quick to get a site up and running. So far so good, but early days.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 02:49:54 PM »
I've used and been happy with colorlabs, press 75 for premium themes.

j4mo

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 05:09:10 PM »
This thread is a great resource. I think we should sticky it. This is a topic that will come up over and over again.

David Galloway

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • David Galloway
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 01:30:17 PM »
I'm about to use ThemeForest for the first time. After two weeks of researching I think the Volt! Magazine theme will work best for my new project.