September 19, 2017, 07:34:57 AM

Author Topic: Episode-70- Why I Snap Out Sometimes and Advanced Stategies  (Read 6825 times)

Rourke

• Student
    • View Profile
    • ModernSurvivalOnline - Thoughts on Survival and the World Today
Re: Episode-70- Why I Snap Out Sometimes and Advanced Stategies
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 09:39:42 AM »
Jack -

I also liked the idea of satellite pages. I know you like Wordpress - but do you have any opinion on using some of the free sites out there like Blogger for those?

Thanks - love your podcasts and info.

Rourke

Well - just listened to Episode 3 and likely recieved my answer.

Rourke

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 02:24:14 PM »
Jack -

I also liked the idea of satellite pages. I know you like Wordpress - but do you have any opinion on using some of the free sites out there like Blogger for those?

Thanks - love your podcasts and info.

Rourke

Well I use blogger to do a bit of that type of thing cause it is free.  Do up three or four posts, put a few links on it and to it and walk on but it is inherently limited.  It doesn't make a good mini sales site, it doesn't carry any brand affinity and you don't fully control or own it.  The better use for blogger is when you make a mini satellite site, make up a blogger blog, a hubpage, an article or two on an article site, etc.  Then link those to each other, to your main site, etc.  I will go deeper into this this week. 

Rourke

• Student
    • View Profile
    • ModernSurvivalOnline - Thoughts on Survival and the World Today
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
Thanks Jack.

Looking forward to it.

Rourke

CleverSurvivalist.com

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »
I have a very specific problem.  I don't want to pay for the microsites.  I have a paid hosting blog at http://cleversurvivalist.com but don't think a .com is a good idea for all of the microsites that I will be using.  I need to figure out how to make a template that will be used for a 4-5 page microsite.  The main reason for this site will be for link juice, but I will probably place ads anyways.

I set up a .wordpress account but cannot get the plugins option on the dashboard menu, and if you listen to jack, we add plugin buddypress right away.  I am not extremely savvy on wordpress but have an intelligence that allows me to figure things out after a while.

Does anyone have a template to use?  How would I save a wordpress template?  How would I empliment a template to a new .wordpress site.  How would I host (I have a hostgator account) my .wordpress site with my main host, but not use my same domain name, because I want SEO value of a separate url.

any advanced users can help me out?

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 06:50:45 AM »
You need to purchase a domain name for a separate url.  If you set up a separate wordpress.com (free) site you won't have plugins and other options.  It is limited.

Wordpress (open source software) has both files and a connected database.  I have several wordpress tutorials at http://boomerempowerment.com/wordpress101/  this is for self-hosted wordpress.

Microsites can be on the free sites such as blogger, wordpress.com  etc.  Lots of choices.  However, I believe that if you purchase a domain name for those, and have that free site run on those domain names you will be better off.  You will still be limited to what each free platform has available.