January 21, 2018, 08:10:03 PM

Author Topic: Episode-70- Why I Snap Out Sometimes and Advanced Stategies  (Read 7196 times)

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Episode-70- Why I Snap Out Sometimes and Advanced Stategies
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:26:06 PM »
Before joining in on this thread you will want to have listened to Episode 70 of Five Minutes with Jack at http://www.jackspirko.com/episode-70-why-i-snap-out-sometimes-and-advanced-stategies

The title pretty much says it all on this one.  I want you guys to understand how sometimes it may seem like I am flipping my lid at you and I am not, I am angry at the massive amount of misinformation out there and the cesspool that is the “how to make money online” market.  There is so much utter bullshit out there and I have been fighting it for more than a decade.

Today I also explain that I now realize there are two things I need to do on the show that I have not been doing so far…

1.  I need to do some VERY basic topics on occasion like super simple stuff that could bore some listeners (like 10% of the time)

2.  I need to do some really advanced topics that will be over the head of some, stretch others and empower some as well (again like 10% of the time)

Remember always that the best way to get topics covered you want to hear is to email me your questions.

Some basics I will be covering in the future include…

Very basic links in relation to SEO
    Very basic how to in installing WordPress Plugins
    Very basic analytics concepts

Some advanced topics will include…

More on “site networks” like I discussed today
    Creating 3-way link exchange networks
    Use of link cloaking, why, when, how
    Advanced sales components using video presentations
    Creation micro conversion sites

Again basic, moderate or advanced tell me what you want to know, where you are stuck etc.  And remember if I sound mad sometimes, I am not mad at you.

IndependentJo

• Student
  • Walk with me to self sufficency.
    • View Profile
    • IndependentJo
    • Email
Re: Episode-70- Why I Snap Out Sometimes and Advanced Stategies
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 01:36:03 PM »
Great episode Jack! I am really interested in the moderate to advanced side. I know CMS agents really well. What I don't know really well is generating traffic. The information you have put out on generating traffic has been the most valuable to me.

I do have a quick question relating to site networks. I will begin site networking in the next four or five months from now. For the mean time does it help in any way in regards to SEO to have links in your WordPress posts that link to your other WordPress posts? I am assuming it will not help with SEO but I want to make sure.

Another topic I am hoping to get some more info from you on is how "Primary Keywords" really work. I do not understand where they are good to use and where they are bad to use in relation to your "keywords", "SEO title", "SEO description" and where that all fits in with your actual "Post Title" and "Post Content Area".

I assume Primary Keywords would be words that are in your title. So if they are in your title you DO want them in your description?
If my SEO title was "Cut the Cable - SickBeard" my primary keywords would be Cable and SickBeard right?

So then my SEO description would need to include Cable and SickBeard in it?

And I would also need Cable and SickBeard to be in my Post Title and Post Content Area correct?

I know this is nitpicking but from what I understand it is becoming very important to understand the difference between "Keywords" and "Primary Keywords" and how they relate.

I found this plugin (paid service of course) for WordPress which tries to give you advice on how to implement your keywords and you primary keywords but I would love to hear your advice on it.
Plugin - http://scribeseo.com/

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »
I have a question about the satellite site idea.

I think I understand the tactics so it's time to start working on the strategic level tasks. For someone just getting into this level, which is a better starting place: satellite sites or guest posts or are they completely different tools with different purposes?

Thanks,

Josh

gnarledwolf

• Student
    • View Profile
    • It Began With A Pencil
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 03:39:36 PM »
Jack,
     As always, great post!  I love listening to this material. It's gotten me up (or down) off my ass and working on a website and I'm enjoying it.  I'm an artist, so that's what I focus on at www.mattdegelleke.com.

I was very pleased with your blog today as I have been thinking lately the same thing, that you are skimming over some of the simple, but important stuff, as though assuming we already know how to do something.  I originally referred a great deal to your very early posts where you were showing your computer and what screens and drop downs to go to and do things. I don't think  I'd have used wordpress without it.  Don't get me wrong, I love all the advanced material you cover and I am excited to get to it, so please keep it up, but I feel I've missed something basic.

Some of the simple things for me I'm finding is 1.) I have no idea how to translate my camera footage into a flash file that will work using "add media".  For some reason using converters, including the flash program itself, I keep getting half the video kinda yellowed out, and blurring the image, while the rest of the movie is fine.  I'd love to know how you go about it.  I've had to post a picture and use it as a link so people can download the mp4 files I've uploaded so they can view my footage, and I don't like doing this, so I need help.

Also, I love the idea of all the little sites that generate traffic and have links back to the primary site.  I would like to know if there are more ways to start pulling people in, in addition to SEO?  I use facebook, and twitter, but that's limited to my friends list size.  I also have been going into the art section of yahoo answers and when the question calls for it in any way shape or form, I put in a plug for my website and how it relates to their question.  Have you any other suggestions?  I've been up for a month now, and so far I've had a grand total of 84 people visiting my site.  I'm hoping that will branch out, but it's slightly discouraging.

At any rate, I love both this blog and the survival podcast, and wanted to let you know.

Matt
www.mattdegelleke.com
It Began With A Pencil
creating art on piece at a time.

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 03:49:14 PM »
Matt,

I think I can answer two of your questions at the same time.

When people are looking for words, they type words into Google.
When people are looking for videos, they type words into YouTube.

If you want an easy way to make your videos easier to embed and get more people to your site, use YouTube. Upload your vid there and embed it on your site. You'll have an easier time with the vid and you'll be in a new community.

gnarledwolf

• Student
    • View Profile
    • It Began With A Pencil
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »
any idea how to get a clean flash version of my video?
www.mattdegelleke.com
It Began With A Pencil

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 07:49:17 PM »
Matt,

What format do you save it in?

Here's a list of the supported filetypes: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55744

The only time I have trouble with YouTube is when the video is dark.

---

On an unrelated note:
SEO Smart Links has a premium version. It's pricey. But it has a really slick feature that would great if you were building a satellite site network: you can run all the link settings from one database. You wouldn't have to visit a million different sites to update the links.

gnarledwolf

• Student
    • View Profile
    • It Began With A Pencil
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 11:58:53 AM »
At the moment, I'm mostly worried about being able to post my video in a reasonable size like Jack used to so I have a video you simply hit Play to run as opposed to having to hit a hyperlink and download my video to view it... converting to .flv seems to be the only way so far.... but I'll keep playing with it.

Matt
www.mattdegelleke.com
It Began With A Pencil

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »
Matt,

Jack uses YouTube.

You upload the video to YouTube. If you're using WordPress, you just add the URL to the page and it embeds the video.

jrj

• Mentor
  • Recovering serial entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • jrjBlog
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »
Jack uses YouTube.

You upload the video to YouTube. If you're using WordPress, you just add the URL to the page and it embeds the video.

Agreed-- using YouTube (or Vimeo) is by far the easiest way to get video online in the manner you describe, and YouTube has the added benefit of bringing viewers TO you. Post it on YT and make sure you add plenty of keyword-rich metadata (title, description, tags, etc.) You'll be glad you did: Not only will you be able to easily embed the content on your page, but you'll get viewers directly from YouTube as well.
--- JRJ : Adobe PM, former Microsoftie, recovering serial entrepreneur, Geek.
       http://www.jrj.org | http://twitter.jrj.org | http://facebook.jrj.org

plumber4200

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Bluetooth Car Stereo Reviews
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »
Jack,
I enjoy your evident frustration.  It humanizes you.  To be honest, sometimes I wonder if are some super genius. Since I am 1 year older than you and did not even start this journey til I heard of the 4 hour work week and you were into this 10 years ago it is sometimes a little depressing and I am in awe of how much you know about so many subjects.  So, when you let loose it kind of  brings you down to the level of someone who still has struggles and frankly I never take it that you think we are  idiots.  You just get pissed that we would listen to idiots.  I value every show you do and am learning alot. 

Thanks, Pat

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 09:27:25 AM »
I'm on twitter and have been using http://www.justretweet.com/refer/322 this past week.  It has been giving me a traffic boost.  Free, you earn credit by retweeting others tweets, etc.  You use that credit to have others retweet your tweets.  If you have twitter followers already, it seems to be a good way to get some twitter links out.  Or you can buy credits.  When you fill in your profile, you fill in topics, keywords so the list of retweets you have to pick from are often in related niches, helps to make new friends too.

In the same spirit, what if you have a group of people, such as on this forum.  12 people making 5 sites each, giving each other some text links would be 60 sites. 

Joshuab

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »
I'm on twitter and have been using http://www.justretweet.com/refer/322 this past week.  It has been giving me a traffic boost.  Free, you earn credit by retweeting others tweets, etc.  You use that credit to have others retweet your tweets.  If you have twitter followers already, it seems to be a good way to get some twitter links out.  Or you can buy credits.  When you fill in your profile, you fill in topics, keywords so the list of retweets you have to pick from are often in related niches, helps to make new friends too.

In the same spirit, what if you have a group of people, such as on this forum.  12 people making 5 sites each, giving each other some text links would be 60 sites. 
Heidi,
The idea of cross promotion is a good one. Rudyk mentioned it in a thread (Joint Ventures).
I will definitely try to connect with people of similar interests soon.

Joshuab

mxitman

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • RicksDIY
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »
I really liked the idea of using wordpress and just making the static pages for the satellite sites. I didn't know what this was called but i've been doing it for the last few years..just not properly or enough. I'm currently revamping everything and working on some new sites. Thanks jack
HVAC/R Mechanic, Stay At Home Dad Trying To Get Some Of My Ideas Flowing.

http://ricksdiy.com & http://heezy.com

Rourke

• Student
    • View Profile
    • ModernSurvivalOnline - Thoughts on Survival and the World Today
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 09:45:09 PM »
Jack -

I also liked the idea of satellite pages. I know you like Wordpress - but do you have any opinion on using some of the free sites out there like Blogger for those?

Thanks - love your podcasts and info.

Rourke