January 19, 2018, 10:50:46 PM

Author Topic: I'm having trouble defining what my blog/podcast is, and who my customers are  (Read 2995 times)

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
The title says it all. I'm having a difficult time defining what my blog/podcast should be.

My site is about Sustainable Agriculture. Up until this week, I had be putting out a lot of content about what is happening in the world of Sustainable Agriculture. I've been doing interviews with people involved in food freedom, raw milk, and some other organizations. Each week, I'm also doing a book review via YouTube video. These books are generally about how to start farming/ranching and generally anything to do with sustainable agriculture. In addition to all of this, I've done some "how-to" podcasts/blog posts. For example, a show about selecting electric fence chargers. So overall, I don't know if my focus is too general, with all of the how-to's, interviews, video book reviews etc. It seems on one post/podcast I will cater more toward the cattle owner, and other days I'm catering to the urbanite who is interested in raw milk and small scale production. I can see this both being a good and a bad thing.

I'm also unsure of who my audience is. How do I find out and define who my audience is? Once I do find out who my (SMALL, 15-50 unique visitors a day) audience is, do I gear my content toward their interests within the umbrella of Sustainable Agriculture?

My gut tells me that I should be focusing on the small scale farmer and homesteader. However, I'm working on a cattle ranch at the moment with 250 head of cattle and 160 head of sheep, so my experiences here are more geared toward larger operations, which makes it difficult to relate to these smaller scale farms/ranches. Additionally, it will be very difficult to do interviews with people via Skype out here because I'm currently getting internet by tethering to my iPhone. Is it OK to put of interviewing "experts" for the next 4 months?

I'm in need of some advice and help and I'd really appreciate any that you all can offer me.

Thanks,

Chris
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:04:40 AM by Chris Stelzer »
Agricultrual Insights a blog dedicated to sustainable agriculture and grazing.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
I notice you are using one of the default Wordpress graphics on your site.. I know because I used the same graphic header as you on my old blog.  My new site has the same problem.  I have not yet changed the header to be a custom one designed for my site.  I think this makes our sites look less professional - I will probably just pay someone to make me a new header.  The site looks a lot better when you have a custom header, like for example the one on top of jackspirko.com.

Your content looks good - I am not really qualified to give advice on that.

Zach

• Student
    • View Profile
    • My Sustainable Life
    • Email
Chris,

Sustainable Agriculture is a HUGE topic, whether you provide information to the small farmer, or to the large rancher, I'm not sure it matters.  The important thing about sustainable ag is that the principles can be applied to all levels of production.  My recommendation is that you provide information that YOU are interested in, and ask for feedback periodically from your listeners as to what they want to learn about.  If you're doing an internship on a larger farm, do shows on that, if you just read a book on small scale rotational grazing, do a show or two on that.  While it's important to keep your listeners engaged, it's even more important to keep yourself interested.  After all, you're doing this because it's your passion, if you lose interest, then your audience will lose interest.

As far as interviews go, they're only one type of content, there are so many other ways to keep your readers engaged while you're getting off the ground and running.  Your book reviews are great, as are the product reviews.  I'd be interested in seeing more "this is what I think and why" type information from you.  In the end, it doesn't matter what form the content comes in, as long as it's being put on your website regularly and consistently.

Hope that helps,

Zach

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:41:56 PM by Zach »

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
I notice you are using one of the default Wordpress graphics on your site.. I know because I used the same graphic header as you on my old blog.  My new site has the same problem.  I have not yet changed the header to be a custom one designed for my site.  I think this makes our sites look less professional - I will probably just pay someone to make me a new header.  The site looks a lot better when you have a custom header, like for example the one on top of jackspirko.com.

Yes, I do think this is preventing my site from looking professional. I would like to get a custom header, and maybe a different theme. I think I'll look into hiring someone to do a header/banner for me. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks again for the insight.

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
Chris,

Sustainable Agriculture is a HUGE topic, whether you provide information to the small farmer, or to the large rancher, I'm not sure it matters.  The important thing about sustainable ag is that the principles can be applied to all levels of production.  My recommendation is that you provide information that YOU are interested in, and ask for feedback periodically from your listeners as to what they want to learn about.  If you're doing an internship on a larger farm, do shows on that, if you just read a book on small scale rotational grazing, do a show or two on that.  While it's important to keep your listeners engaged, it's even more important to keep yourself interested.  After all, you're doing this because it's your passion, if you lose interest, then your audience will lose interest.

As far as interviews go, they're only one type of content, there are so many other ways to keep your readers engaged while you're getting off the ground and running.  Your book reviews are great, as are the product reviews.  I'd be interested in seeing more "this is what I think and why" type information from you.  In the end, it doesn't matter what form the content comes in, as long as it's being put on your website regularly and consistently.

Hope that helps,

Zach

Zach,

Thanks for making the point that yes, I do need to stay interested in the content I'm producing. Keeping that passion is the key to long term success I think. I agree with you that I need to put out more "this is what I think and why" type of content. Thanks for the advice and motivation, I really needed that right about now. I'll keep you all updated on the progress that I've made. Thanks again.

Chris

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
I notice you are using one of the default Wordpress graphics on your site.. I know because I used the same graphic header as you on my old blog.  My new site has the same problem.  I have not yet changed the header to be a custom one designed for my site.  I think this makes our sites look less professional - I will probably just pay someone to make me a new header.  The site looks a lot better when you have a custom header, like for example the one on top of jackspirko.com.

Yes, I do think this is preventing my site from looking professional. I would like to get a custom header, and maybe a different theme. I think I'll look into hiring someone to do a header/banner for me. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks again for the insight.

I actually just changed my theme.

To change my header, I did a search for "public domain images" and then found two that looked good.  I made the two graphics fade into each other by doing a search for "imaging blending with gradient photoshop" (don't remember the exact words I searched for) and reading the instructions.  I made it the same size as the wordpress header, 1000 × 288 pixels and uploaded it.  I didn't change anything else in the theme but it at least looks a little customized now and it didn't cost me anything.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:34:41 PM by r00tbeer »

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
I notice you are using one of the default Wordpress graphics on your site.. I know because I used the same graphic header as you on my old blog.  My new site has the same problem.  I have not yet changed the header to be a custom one designed for my site.  I think this makes our sites look less professional - I will probably just pay someone to make me a new header.  The site looks a lot better when you have a custom header, like for example the one on top of jackspirko.com.

I actually just changed my theme.

To change my header, I did a search for "public domain images" and then found two that looked good.  I made the two graphics fade into each other by doing a search for "imaging blending with gradient photoshop" (don't remember the exact words I searched for) and reading the instructions.  I made it the same size as the wordpress header, 1000 × 288 pixels and uploaded it.  I didn't change anything else in the theme but it at least looks a little customized now and it didn't cost me anything.

Wow, Thanks r00tbeer, your header and website in general looks really clean. Thank you very much, that is just another project I'll have to get done!

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
Looks like I'm a bit late to this thread...as I read through your first post, my thoughts were pretty much exactly what Zach said. But I'll repeat them anyway. :)

With a small audience right now, I would definitely choose the focus based on what really interests YOU. There is an audience out there interested in it and waiting to find your blog, and the more interested you are in the niche, the better your content will be (and the easier it will be for you to write). What you might do later on is ask for some reader feedback on things like what format they prefer (audio, video, text), or whether some regular feature you have is more or less popular. That can let you adjust the blog to better engage without compromising your passion.

As far as header bars, I used just a cropped piece of a photo I took as the header for Forgotten Weapons for a year, and it worked just fine.

PS - Congrats on getting the internship!

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
Looks like I'm a bit late to this thread...as I read through your first post, my thoughts were pretty much exactly what Zach said. But I'll repeat them anyway. :)

With a small audience right now, I would definitely choose the focus based on what really interests YOU. There is an audience out there interested in it and waiting to find your blog, and the more interested you are in the niche, the better your content will be (and the easier it will be for you to write). What you might do later on is ask for some reader feedback on things like what format they prefer (audio, video, text), or whether some regular feature you have is more or less popular. That can let you adjust the blog to better engage without compromising your passion.

As far as header bars, I used just a cropped piece of a photo I took as the header for Forgotten Weapons for a year, and it worked just fine.

PS - Congrats on getting the internship!

Thanks for the encouragement Ian. Your new logo and website layout looks great. I will take the advice that you all have given me and focus on what I am most passionate about at this particular time. This sounds like the best way to keep motivated. Down the line I will be sure to get listener feedback on formats and topics that they want me to cover.

I've recently discovered that I have 2 "true fans." This is really cool because we have been talking via e-mail/facebook/twitter back and froth and I can tell that these people (even if it's only 2 of them) really value what I am doing. This is a great feeling!

I'm going to work on my website header today, as I think that really would make my website more professional looking.

Thanks again.

Chris

lemonscorner

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Lemon's Corner - Following one family's journey to a more sustainable life
Chris,

I posted your podcast to the Homesteading Today site. Hopefully several have come to visit your site from there.

We have a small cattle operation in east central Kansas and have listened to Greg Judy speak on several occasions. Good luck with the internship and blog!

Jerry

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
Chris,

I posted your podcast to the Homesteading Today site. Hopefully several have come to visit your site from there.

We have a small cattle operation in east central Kansas and have listened to Greg Judy speak on several occasions. Good luck with the internship and blog!

Jerry

Wow Jerry, thanks! That is really cool. I'm learning so much everyday from Greg that I can't even write it all down. Let me know if you ever have any questions, I'll be sure to get them answered for you.

Chris