January 19, 2018, 10:41:47 PM

Author Topic: Store video on server for wordpress site  (Read 2327 times)

KanoJJ

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
Store video on server for wordpress site
« on: January 06, 2012, 02:16:37 PM »
I am using host gator and wordpress for my vlog instructional site. I am planning on putting a few of my videos on YouTube but what is an alternative hosting option for video storage so I can link to my blogs. I believe host gator only allows a 10 Meg filesize for upload. I am just starting out and was hoping for some tips and advise.

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
Re: Store video on server for wordpress site
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:35:32 PM »
1. You could always put the video on YouTube and make it private. You could still embed it.

2. Break the video into smaller bites.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 05:29:43 PM »
You can ftp the video or any larger files.   That said, I believe youtube will play better around the world, less lag.  You could use something like Amazon's cloud server, along with various tools.  Youtube is easier, link to your blog from Youtube. Think of youtube as a giant search engine which hosts videos.  I was surprised when I started using youtube how much traffic it sent me.

Good advice from Josh. 

KanoJJ

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »
Thanks for the advise. I'll give YouTube a try.

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »
I shoot HD video and with some of my longer vids even though they qualify for YouTube I get a lot of aborts when I am uploading stuff over 25 minutes.  This led me to vimeo and NOW I LOVE IT.

If you upgrade you get a very generous weekly upload allowance.  Like 5GB  the cost to upgrade was 60 bucks and to me that is what 5 bucks a month for what it offers I am sold.

1.  You can password protect videos.  For membership sites and what have you that is just awesome.  YouTube is fricken moronic for not doing something like this long ago.

2.  You get priority over other uploaders this means faster uploads

3.  You get full 1080p resolution

4.  You get archiving to provide back ups

5.  No ads with your videos

6.  Complete control over HD embedding options

7.  Comprehensive Statistics for Your Videos this is the stuff you can't see with your analytics about your viewers. 

8.  Ability to create "mobile versions" of you videos, I still have to play with this one.

Now YouTube/Google could do all this and more but they don't I call that leaving money on the table folks, lots of money.  Anyway I will still upload shorter vids to Youtube just for the exposure but everything is also going on vimeo and it is my main video host now. 

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 12:09:59 PM »
Thanks, I was wondering why you preferred Vimeo.  All good points.

I do short screencasts from Jing (Pro), which has a button to push to upload to YouTube as mp4's, naming it whatever I want my title to be, when done it adds the url to my clipboard, write post content while it uploads (usually only a few minutes), paste url into post.  Then I go back to YouTube and add description and link to post.

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 12:56:28 PM »
Has anyone tried Tube Mogul?

jrj

• Mentor
  • Recovering serial entrepreneur
    • View Profile
    • jrjBlog
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
YouTube is the easiest way by far to host videos that are under 10 minutes in length.

If you want to host longer videos, I've found the most cost-efficient method to be Amazon's S3 service. Their pricing is so low, and you never have to worry about storage or bandwidth caps.
--- JRJ : Adobe PM, former Microsoftie, recovering serial entrepreneur, Geek.
       http://www.jrj.org | http://twitter.jrj.org | http://facebook.jrj.org

geogeko

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Awesomer.ca
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 10:49:06 AM »
YouTube no longer has the 10 minute restriction on their videos. You can upload any length you want.
My self improvement blog: http://www.awesomer.ca

Get out of your old funk and into a new one!

David

j4mo

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 12:14:55 PM »
I'm not sure about the geo. I was just upgraded to 15 minutes a few weeks ago:

http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=71673

geogeko

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Awesomer.ca
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 12:49:31 PM »
Uploading longer videos

All users have the ability to upload videos up to 15 minutes in length. You can attain the ability to upload longer length videos if:

Your account is in good standing, as determined by the YouTube Community Guidelines.
    You verify your account with a mobile phone.
    Your account has no worldwide Content ID blocks on any content

On the upload page, click the link to Increase your limit to be prompted to verify your account. If you do not have the option to verify your account, or if you lose your access to long uploads, the best first step is to check your account for copyright claims and strikes.

* All you have to do is ask to increase your limit as long as you are in good standing with YouTube and verify your account. There are plenty of videos on YouTube that are well over an hour. I haven't tried it myself because I try and keep my videos short but if you look at someone like NutNFancy, none of his videos are under 15 minutes.
My self improvement blog: http://www.awesomer.ca

Get out of your old funk and into a new one!

David

Hofpodcast

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »
I have it on you-tube and tried just inking with a video player on my blog, but it would not go out on my feed?  So, I uploaded it in both places.  You tune (and probably Vimeo) are better options because of their huge bandwidth capabilities and scalable size/quality depending on the users system and connection.   You can monetize too, but don't quit your day job...

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 08:18:48 AM »
vimeo.com has a premium option that might suit your needs

Is this video content private or premium content?  If it is public content then you want it all on youtube. If not I think posting the files on host gator should suite you just fine since it will be much lower traffic

Again this depends on what your doing with it.

On that note... we are using this to do all our video embedding now  http://www.videojs.com

Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 08:22:14 AM »
I'd just like to note, if it is public videos make sure they are all on youtube so you can leverage traffic from the world's second largest video website.

Even if you end up embedding vimeo on your blog you want all your stuff on youtube no matter what (unless it is premium content or whatever)
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!