January 18, 2018, 03:39:38 AM

Author Topic: Services  (Read 20562 times)

LJH

• Student
    • View Profile
Services
« on: December 12, 2011, 03:29:03 PM »
So glad to see this topic as it's by far my weakest spot as a wanna-be business person. I'm damned good at what I do and provide an excellent service at a very fair (probably stupidly low) price but for some reason I can't self-promote. Is it just me, or do some of y'all have trouble tooting your own horn?

I'm a one-person quilting and sewing workroom with ZERO interest in any kind of employee or sub-contracting situation. So far my business has grown by word-of-mouth from happy customers but I'd like to ramp up my bottom-end, i.e. most profitable, offering (pantographs and over-all patterns) and scale way back on my high-end, i.e. least profitable custom & show quilt work. Looking forward to hearing what others are doing with their deals.

LvsChant

• Student
    • View Profile
Re: Services
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:04:11 AM »
LJH: I'm guessing you need to price accordingly... I'm sure it is hard to consider raising prices on custom stuff to long-time customers, but in my mind, that needs to be done. It's human nature to want as much as you can get for as little as possible... they'll adjust.

michael russell

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:00:42 PM »
open a free account with Etsy.com ( a handmade selling site) list/post one of your quilt/products. you can also list your website and that should drive some traffic your way.  I bought a hot water bottle cover with a name sewn on...
idea: offer something for pets... pet owners spend money.. something unique ...

LJH

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 11:15:11 PM »
Cool, I can post now. I tried to reply yesterday and my virus protection had a big, hairy spasm - apparently we had a bug?

LvsChant, yeah, I know you're right about the pricing. I need to adjust mine way up for the high-end stuff. It will mean less of that type of work, but I won't feel like I'm giving it away when it does come in. I'll lose some regular customers no doubt - so be it. I need to take this thing seriously and run it as a real business (which is why I'm here).

Michael, I've thought about Etsy but heard that only a small fraction of folks actually make any money there. I don't sell quilts, rather the service of longarm quilting others' tops. Does Etsy have a section to offer services? Guess I need to check that out, thanks for the suggestions. 

Don't have a website. I'm what you call "digitally challenged" or more acurately, dumb as an effing rock, so I'd have to pay someone to build it for me and that's fer sur not in the budget at the moment. Also don't blog. Everyone tells me Wordpress is easy but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. Sigh ... I guess I need to get off my dead ass and try to learn this chit.

Evan

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Systematic Growth
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 01:03:20 PM »
Don't be afraid to promote your stuff. There's obviously a market for what you're selling and it sounds like if you are getting repeat business then you have a great product that people want. No shame in that.

One suggestion that everyone should take to heart is to quit viewing yourself as a "wanna-be business person" but view yourself as a legitimate businessperson. Just changing that mindset can help with your ability to promote. From your post, it sounds like you ARE a businessperson, not a wanna-be.

Another thing that I've heard said is that if you have a great product or service that provides real value, then you almost have the obligation to let people know about it. That kind of changed my perspective and got me out of the rut you are describing, because I didn't want to sound "salesy," but if you get it in your mind that what you are selling is really great and people really want to hear about it, it might help overcome the aversion to "tooting your horn."

I can also send you some more detailed suggestions. If you want, shoot me a PM.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 01:41:34 PM »
On wordpress, I've helped several who thought they'd never get wordpress.  Problem was I couldn't help them for free and many didn't have the budget.  Thus I built a wordpress site with short video tutorials.  It is easier if you start at the beginning by signing up for the daily tutorials.  (month worth).  http://boomerempowerment.com/wordpress101/

LJH

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »
Evan, Heidi, thanks for the replies. I haven't logged on in several weeks due to computer issues and just now found these.

Evan, that's a very interesting angle on advertising ones services, I need to get my brain focused thataway because it's true. I've PM'd you. 

Heidi, checking out your link now. Thanks to you both.

Jesse2004

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Priv.ly Experiences
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 09:19:39 AM »
Heidi - just a quick public thank you - Your tutorials are a great resource.  They make it easy for non-technical folks to learn how to get their site up and running.  For the more technical (like myself) they are still wonderful to get the context of what you can do and why you might want to do it.

Everyone else - If you are getting started with WordPress, I recommend Heidi's tutorials (http://boomerempowerment.com/wordpress101/tutorials/) as a great place to start - in small bite size chunks.  I signed up to get emailed with a month's worth of tutorials, and I'm still working through them - mostly because when I do a tutorial I put my site up in another window and work on it directly as I'm going through the tutorial - instant application of the lesson.

THANKS!!!!   ;D

Jesse
Publically blogging my experiences with private sharing on social media (using Priv.ly)

https://myprivlyexperience.wordpress.com/

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »
I apologize upfront if this sounds a little... direct...  but it sounds like you need someone to tell you stop selling yourself short and just do it!  In other words, a kick in the arse. 

First, a friendlier suggestion.  How about instead of raising your price on existing customers, which you apparently don't want to do, change your price and then give a discount.  Say something like....

"I've raised my prices $10.00, but if you'll promise to recommend me to at least one friend I'll keep it at the regular price."  Or something to that effect.  It lets them know that their business is valued and makes them feel like they have a vested interest in your success.  I can assure you that it's a common technique in most of the world yet seems totally novel to the American Walmart shopper. 

Next, what are you doing in this blog if your are "dumb as an effing rock?"  Obviously you're not that dumb if you made it here and you must be at least somewhat interested in blogging if you are in this forum.  Take Heidi's class and you will be off to a good start!  If you use her 30 day tutorial newsletter and still can't do it, then maybe I will allow you to refer to yourself as "dumb as an effing rock."  Until then it's just an excuse!

And I almost left this out, but it would blow my mind if you are in this forum and haven't watched Jacks videos.  The first 15 or so should explain exactly why you need to be blogging.  Heidi's videos will fill in any gaps in Jacks videos with the How-to's. 

Good luck and no excuses!

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 10:46:04 PM »
Thanks Jesse and Average Guy! 

Lots of great suggestions here.   

I thought of one more thing, charge more for the low profit work, give a coupon to your loyal clients when your business is slow so it is close to what you are charging now.