January 21, 2018, 08:54:49 AM

Author Topic: Copy Protection for e-books  (Read 2304 times)

seedream

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
Copy Protection for e-books
« on: January 03, 2012, 05:50:02 PM »
I am in the process or writing a guide book that I plan on marketing as an ebook.  Any suggestions on how to protect it from mass coppying  and distribution by the first paying customer after it is downloaded. 

Also any marketing, payment and delivery ideas are also appreciated. But probably best posted as seperate subjects.

Thanks

Seedream

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
Re: Copy Protection for e-books
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 08:20:42 PM »
http://www.e-junkie.com/

I haven't used it, but every I've talked to loves it.

When someone buys an ebook, e-junkie puts their address in the footer.

rudyk

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Preparing Your Family
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 03:20:44 AM »
Two tips ...

Brand the heck out of the book.  Your URL should be easy to find.  I put it on the footer of every page.

Don't sweat the losses.  They're phantom losses and you'll just drive yourself crazy.  Just know that folks who like your stuff will want more, so they'll find you, even if they first heard of you through a 'borrowed' book.

My main blog is Preparing Your Family

j4mo

• Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »
Don't sweat the losses.  They're phantom losses and you'll just drive yourself crazy.  Just know that folks who like your stuff will want more, so they'll find you, even if they first heard of you through a 'borrowed' book.

I was worried about this years ago when I got into ebooks. It turned out to be a false fear and a waste of time fighting. I haven't used e-junkie so maybe that is a cool feature to have. Otherwise, don't worry about it you're going to have a lot of good customers if you charge a reasonable price.

seedream

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input I think I wont worry about copy protection after all

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 11:07:07 AM »
Not only branding, but put in some of your own affiliate links in the content as well.

That way people giving away your book to others will still be helping you promote your affiliate links.

I did run into an issue with someone copying my content verbatim to go into their own book which they turned around and sold on Clickbank.  We had to provide some proof that we were the original authors of the content and Clickbank made them take down their book and also charged them a fine which was paid to us to compensate us for lost revenue.
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 12:07:27 PM »
Ben,
How did you find out about the person using your content verbatim? Did you know the "author"? How you find the e-book?

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 02:05:10 PM »
If you use some sort of DRM or copy protection to make it hard for your legit customer to read you won't be as successful as you could be.  These amount to hoops for normal users and the pirates just find their way around it anyway. So in short... more of a pain in the ass for your paying customers, and scum still get the content easily.

There is nothing to stop me from logging into Jack's MSB and posting all his "member's only" content to youtube. Same with anyone else that is an MSB member.  In general you just can't worry about the % of people that wouldn't pay for your stuff anyway. Just build relationships, have great content, etc

Remember people buy your products because they give a shit about you. They are buying a piece of you as well as your information. THis is what personal branding is all about. Unless I miss the mark of these podcasts.

Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

benfitts

• Entrepreneur
  • Administrator
  • Mentor
  • Living the life of my dreams NOW, not later.
    • MSN Messenger - benjaminfitts@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BenjaminFitts
    • View Profile
    • Custom Greeting Cards
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 02:56:51 PM »
Ben,
How did you find out about the person using your content verbatim? Did you know the "author"? How you find the e-book?

It was a gaming ebook. There were only a few titles being sold on Clickbank for this specific game. (A web based strategy game.)

We looked at their web site and said, this looks suspicious. Then we bought a copy of the book. It was really obvious because they copied stuff word for word from us.  We were then able to go to Clickbank and say, we started selling on this date... and they started selling on this date... our web site has been around since X... theres has been around since Y... Here's the original word doc... etc.  Clickbank agreed with us and helped us without us having to get a lawyer or anything like that.
Benjamin Fitts
877-BEN-FITTS
Membership Site Experts
Send Out Cards

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 03:32:01 AM »
I think you also should than the reader in the begining for buying your book. But people who downloaded your book or got it from a friend might never have heard about you if he or she didn't get the book for free. So sharing can also be a good thing. You didn't loose any money but you gained another reader and hopefully a future buyer
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers