January 19, 2018, 10:50:27 PM

Author Topic: In Support of the Niche  (Read 1779 times)

blackmanwithagun

• Student
  • Rev. Kenn Blanchard
    • View Profile
    • Black Man With A Gun
    • Email
In Support of the Niche
« on: December 12, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »
“None of us is as strong as all of us,” is old African proverb that could be a mantra for niche marketing and SEO. 

I thought I was alone in universe until I started podcasting.  Talking directly to people that like you on the content of your subject matter is amazing.

I thought being a Christian minister, a former Marine, a law enforcement trainer, motorcyclist, blues music lover and into horror and sci-fi movies made me odd till I found there were like thousands that liked me through the internet.  That was a beautiful thing.

Don’t be afraid to be a niche.  Your niche doesn’t have to be mainstream to be successful.  Be unique just like everybody else. 
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."

jackspirko

• Administrator
  • Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: In Support of the Niche
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 06:32:58 PM »
Awesome fucking post!  Also will be subbing to your podcast in the AM.  Audio files don't work up at the homestead very well.  Edge networks suck ass.

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:10:18 PM »
Hear hear! I got really deep into weird historical guns and manufacturing methods, and it's pretty much to the point that I have no more common interests with normal gun folks. But on the blog, I have a huge crowd of people who are as geeky about the subject as I am.

Peytonriver

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:37:04 PM »
Where is the like button? Oh yea this in not facebook ;). Great post!!!!!

Cesar

• Student
  • http://geocachefamily.com
    • View Profile
    • Geocaching Family
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 10:27:50 AM »
Great post.  Checking out your podcast now.

Paul_SSA

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Safety Solutions Academy Podcast
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »
I am way late to this thread, but if you folks haven't checked out Ken's work you should.  I had a chance to meet Ken at the range day at SHOT Show.  Should have spent more time talking with him.
www.SafetySolutionsAcademy.com

Safety Solutions Academy:  Saving lives through information, education and training.

maaron

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 12:04:07 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more regarding the importance of a niche.  It seems vital that you are known for something specific.  The "downside" (not really) is that you also have to "not do" certain things for certain customers or clients.

There is a great piece on this by David Maister (sort of a consultant's consultant) called _Strategy Means Saying "No"_ that can be found at http://davidmaister.com/articles/4/95/.  There's also an audio version of this at http://davidmaister.com/podcasts/ -- just scroll down until you're close to the bottom of the page, and you'll see it.

In this article he expresses and elaborates on the idea that "Strategy is deciding whose business you are going to turn away."

Some of Maister's material is geared more towards big companies and/or professional service firms like consultants, attorneys or accountants, but much of his work is applicable to all business.

Hope these links are of some interest!