January 16, 2018, 03:15:06 PM

Author Topic: Newbie looking for thoughts  (Read 1091 times)

Nimrod

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
Newbie looking for thoughts
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:55:52 AM »
Hope everyone is well.  This forum and the 5MWJ podcasts are a wealth of information.  I am looking to advanced my blog from what it is to something to generate income.  100K?  Its a lofty number. This will be my first go-around in the self empyment/business realm.  I think most my reservations and questions come from lack of knowledge and experience plus the idea of failure. 

My cliff note business idea is blog based on a variety of topics (hunting, fishing, gardening, guns, homesteading, parenting stories (not necessarily advice) and other things that my family does.) My delivery would be blog posts, videos and maybe podcasts.  They would be both serious in nature and do as satirical stories, specifically designated as such, like I have blogged on in the past.  My target auidence would be people who want to learn about what the topics, learn about the specific topics, enjoy humorous stories.  Longer term goal would be create a program to get kids outdoors to learn about fishing, gardening, homesteading topics.  One part I haven't figured out is how to target parents of kids who otherwise would not be involved in these activities.

Based on Jacks outline I would obtain sponsors and limit the number.  My concern on this front is would a sponsor say of a seed company want to be associated with a site that talks about firearms.  Any guidance on if this would be an issue?  I want to say if a company doesn't embrace what I stand for I wouldn't endorse them but fear I wouldn't find businesses to do business with. 

I am also concerned about putting too many things under one roof.  Should I concentrate the effort on one niche or just roll with it and see what happens.  With the right moves I bet anything could work. 

I have heard Jack say everyone has knowledge about their passions and could write an ebook (not exact quote).  While I have long thought about publishing my humor/satire stories I don't know if people would buy them.  Other than that I don't know if I have any new ideas to add to the other interests.  I have thought long about it and just not sure how I could put a spin on tying flies that would interest people. 

Proof reading this it looks like I just need someone to smack me and tell me to give it a shot.  Taking the first step into the water is always the hardest.

If anyone has any advice or guidance on any of this it would be greatly appreciated.

Nimrod
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:29:43 AM by Nimrod »

mxitman

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • RicksDIY
    • Email
Re: Newbie looking for thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:03:45 PM »
I think if your longer term goal is to kids outdoors that you should focus on that alone. I'm not sure what sort of things are already out there for parents but I think a podcast that would specialize in that would be a great target. 

Check out the podcast answer man podcast if you haven't already, even though he's all about podcasting which I'm not I value his insights and professional podcasts, nothing turns me off of a business type podcast more than too much of the show being BS about this or joking around...

I think if you setup a blog along with that and try to fill guest speakers in the niche already and articles on the subject matter. People who have kids camps, outdoor sports, training etc....plenty of them out there. Focus some time of each show on training them for being successful adults etc. Look at all the free and paid parenting magazines to get ideas, also see what's missing.

Even though it's not really related I have a friend who wanted to build his son a really professional looking Car Bed, he made it with real car parts, spent like $4K on it. Then he blogged about it on a automotive enthusiast forum and ended up selling a few for $6-10K and made a business out of it, so you never know where it may lead you.

BTW, the worst you could do is fail, maybe loose a few hundred bucks at the most....one of the best investments you can make is in yourself, being a stay at home dad with 2 kids I can see where this would work easily....one of the biggest markets in the world is 2-14 age group.

Just make it happen, get it going and send me the link!

HVAC/R Mechanic, Stay At Home Dad Trying To Get Some Of My Ideas Flowing.

http://ricksdiy.com & http://heezy.com