November 23, 2017, 09:54:12 PM

Author Topic: Where is everyone?  (Read 3774 times)

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
Where is everyone?
« on: March 03, 2013, 08:42:35 PM »
If you're not hanging out here anymore, where are you hanging out?

mxitman

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • RicksDIY
    • Email
Re: Where is everyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 11:18:50 PM »
I'm wondering the same thing, too bad this site is all but dead. I have listened to the podcasts 3 times now, I pick up new stuff every time. I joined up at the warrior forum but like the name says is a little crazy and overwhelming...I haven't done much on there plus I feel everyone here is more on my page and not out to sell you something.

HVAC/R Mechanic, Stay At Home Dad Trying To Get Some Of My Ideas Flowing.

http://ricksdiy.com & http://heezy.com

Supes

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Resolution Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:14:26 AM »
Yeah, kinda a bummer this place has been dwindling. I haven't posted much here but I've probably read nearly every post here. I'm a lurker. :)

I'd be interested to know of another place like this with a similar group. I find the TSP side has a lot of, well, employees. I'm looking for a place to hang out and share ideas with other business owners who are doing well but aren't quite in the millions of dollars a year group.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's impossible to verify their origin.
-Abe Lincoln
www.resolutionseniors.com

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 06:12:05 PM »
"Where are you hanging out?" 

The internet does work that way.  Several years back I was very active on Ryze, many business owners there, friendships made, much learned and shared.   The groups sort of split up and went different ways, many on Facebook, some on twitter, others linkedin.   Some group leaders moved their groups as things slowed down to Facebook, but it was never the same.  One guy is starting a networking group back up on Ryze. None were ever as active as the Ryze groups once where.  Yet we still bump into each other online, refer business to each other, even if not so active in the same group.  Miss that online virtual water cooler.

I've spent some time on the Warrior's forum, but more like a lurker than actively involved.   There are many people over there, many to sell their stuff to online business owners.  I've found answers to questions there from time to time.   I've not really built any relationships there, doesn't feel like home I guess. 

G+ is growing, hangouts are another way to interact, and there are now communities there.   One of my friends loves the groups on Social Media Examiner.   

Whether here or elsewhere, an active community takes people interacting with each other.  Asking questions, answering questions.  Brainstorming threads where my favorites.   There were also some quite heated debates. Lessons taught, homework suggested.  Stuff learned.  As more people interact, the group grows.  When less people interact the group quickly dies down.   

I recently picked up some ebooks which are very good.  Similar to the stuff Jack was teaching in his podcast.  I'll be putting these things in place when I get back from a trip.  One thing I like is 5 months worth of step by step things to do, another book telling you how to do these things, improve site stickiness and more.   Example, first week was to buy a used domain in your niche create a site with it, add 3 articles, link homepage to your main site, and create a facebook page for your site, linking to your site in the about section. (different ip than your main site- could use something like blogger with your domain name instead of blogspot.com url) Nice having clear cut goals. 

Where have I been hanging out?  on Facebook most, rest of time with family, working on my sites and client's sites.  I check in here several times a week. 

mxitman

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • RicksDIY
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:17:55 AM »
I have a hard time committing much time to social stuff, I like to hit the few sites I visit everyday see whats happening and then I'm off. Life is really busy right now, I know if I could do more it would help, but I'm already up from 5am until 10 or 11 every day.

Not to get away from the original post, but does anyone know how much it hurts/helps having your sites on different IP's...I moved several of mine to save $$$. I had been using different hosts for 8 sites, now I got 3 onto one server. I have another 2 or 3 in the works..but having been trying to focus just on a few right now.
HVAC/R Mechanic, Stay At Home Dad Trying To Get Some Of My Ideas Flowing.

http://ricksdiy.com & http://heezy.com

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 03:58:46 PM »
are you counting on them to give each other link juice? if yes, then it could neutralize it. if not, there shouldn't be a penalty.

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »
I also think that a lot of the forum members came from the podcast, which is canceled (at the moment), atleast I feel that way. I am trying to be active and helping people, I am also active on IRC, but there is no IRC chatroom for this kind of subjects, what I know about atleast.
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

triangletactical

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 02:36:40 PM »
I still check in as often as I can.

I've been doing a lot of posting on the Google+ "Podcasters" community, I've found that group to be helpful and encouraging.

I do wish we could keep RT100K alive, I like the atmosphere here.

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »
I creep also. I do miss the activity around here.
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership