July 24, 2017, 02:38:55 PM

Author Topic: Blog daily or weekly  (Read 3658 times)

pmccloud

• Student
    • View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuy.net
    • Email
Blog daily or weekly
« on: December 10, 2012, 04:52:23 PM »
I have been blogging since July,with limited success for traffic.  I know it takes time to get a blog going, especially when you pick a topic like I did (cars) that already has a lot of information out there.

On a good day, I will see double digit visitors to my site, but many days are in the single digit range.  I am wondering if it would be better to write one longer/more detailed post a week, or stick with the five posts a week (most weeks) and use the extra posts to keep working on making my writing better (more practice is good)?

I am just trying to see what would be the best way to proceed since I don't seem to have gotten very far at this point.  I am not getting much for repeat visitors, in the last month, 95% of visitors were new.  Not a surprise with how few hits I get, but it seems I need to do something to keep people coming back.

Kiwimana

• Student
  • Its the kiwimana Buzz....
    • View Profile
    • kiwimana
    • Email
Re: Blog daily or weekly
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »
Wow it looks like your articles are pretty detailed.

Maybe one a day is information overload, but I guess you would know your reader better than me.

Looks like the content is good, perhaps you need to market the blog more on sites in your field. 

Have you thought about getting more into Social media, start following people on Twitter that like you like.  Use tools like HootSuite to find people talking about cars.

The more followers you have the more people will see your content/blog.

I can only manage a post a week, so that works for me.  I just think you need to get out more and share your great site.  Join forums, get followed on twitter/facebook.

Hope that helps...Gary

pmccloud

• Student
    • View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuy.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:39:07 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  To me my articles don't see that detailed, just what is rattling around in my brain.  It is nice to get another perspective.

I do have a Facebook page, but haven't had much luck with it.  And with the way Facebook keeps changing what you need to do so people could see your posts, I am not sure if it is worth it at this point.  But that may be my bias showing.

I have been following people on Twitter, and getting them to follow me, at least a few.  Maybe I will concentrate on Twitter and see if I can get some movement on that side.

I think I will keep up with the article frequency I have for now, it seems to me that more content would be good in trying to get more people to the site.  I just need to not get too frustrated by the slow progress.  One day it will really get going and I will wonder what I was so worried about.

Jesse2004

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Priv.ly Experiences
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 12:25:37 PM »
I am just trying to see what would be the best way to proceed since I don't seem to have gotten very far at this point.  I am not getting much for repeat visitors, in the last month, 95% of visitors were new.  Not a surprise with how few hits I get, but it seems I need to do something to keep people coming back.

I just checked out your site.  Looks well done.  Unfortuantely, I'm one of your 95%ers.  I'm just not that much of a car guy.  I get in, turn the key and go where I need to.  Muscle cars just aren't my thing.  I suspect you are getting a lot of casual folks like myself stumbling into the site and not enough car enthusiasts finding it. 

Are there muscle car forums or facebook groups or something like that out there?  If so, you may want to join one of those communities and (without spamming) mention blog posts that you have written that relate to the thread you are reading.  Even if you don't have a blog post on the topic, many forums will show your signature file (w/your website) with your comnment  allowing free advertising in an area with a good target demographic.  Again, just be appropriate and don't be perceived as spamming or mooching.

Jesse
Publically blogging my experiences with private sharing on social media (using Priv.ly)

https://myprivlyexperience.wordpress.com/

ATMotorcycle

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Adventure Touring Motorcycle
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 09:57:02 PM »
I don't know why you aren't getting traffic. I used to be a car guy (then I found motorcycles!) and your site would have been on my bookmarks bar! It's that good!

Like others have said, are you a member of any forums?

This post ( http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=838273 ) over on ADV Rider got me over 200 visitors the day I posted it. It has trickled off quite a bit, but just from that post alone I ranked number one on bing for "Ural Yamal" and I was #2 and #3 on google for a long time.

But now that that has worn down I have been in the high teens-low twentys for a week or so on visitors, then a Christmas shopping list post bumped that up for a few days, then another shot over at ADV Rider got me back up.

If I do nothing to attract traffic then my traffic sucks. If I work at it then it's better. That Ural post was within the first week or so my blog was up. Imagine my surprise when I went from 2-4 visitors per day to over 200!!! Just remember, this isn't the field of dreams. "If you build it, they will come" only works in the movies, in the real world, ya gotta advertise!

Don't forget to get Woopra, it's better then google analytics IMO.

pmccloud

• Student
    • View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuy.net
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 01:25:29 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback on my blog.  I think the main reason that I am not getting more traffic, is that it is a rather crowded market.  And unfortunately, I am in competition with the websites/blogs from big car mags for Google search results.

I have thought about the forums thing before, but it dropped off my radar.  I will have to revisit that.  Even a few extra hits there and there would help at that point.  That plus having the URL linking back to me would be good for search engine ratings.

ATMotorcycle, I also like motorcycles.  They are hard to beat for bang for the buck performance.

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 09:31:30 AM »
This may sound immature but I assure you it is not: You need girls on your site.

No, not female visitors- pictures of car show hotties.

I realize that this seems like the most base of internet marketing but that's because it's the most base form of internet marketing. Go to a car show and take pictures of all the car show girls and post a gallery in your blog. Set the titles and the alternative text to "Sexy Car Show Girl" and publish it. Then link back to that post in other posts, add pictures of cars in that same post with title and alternative text "Sexy" so that they relate back to one another.

You will get visitors.

My site is all about Halloween- projects, tutorials, costumes, etc. I was getting between 6 and 10 daily visitors until I posted a bunch of (admittedly scraped) pictures of girls in Wonder Woman costumes. For another couple of weeks my visit count was the same but a couple of days before Halloween my visit count went to 260 from Google image searches of "Sexy Wonder Woman", "Wonder Woman Costume", & "Wonder Woman Costume How To."

Since then I haven't dipped below 100 daily visitors and the count is growing. Referral traffic brings them to the site and they hang around for the other stuff.

I would also suggest the related forums and social media like FB and Twitter. The key to those sites is pictures and videos as much as possible too. It's difficult to get people to click your links, but if you are always posting cool, interesting, and sexy pictures, they are more likely to come to the site for more.

And it doesn't have to eclipse your regular content either- Car shows are known for sexy car show girls. You can make them as tasteful and artful as you like. It's not the pictures themselves that bring the visits- it's the tags that get the referrals from search engines.

Hope this helps.

B

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 07:32:21 PM »
Weekly or daily? Blog consistently, test, and adjust. There is no way any of us can answer this for you and your audience.