January 16, 2018, 03:09:58 PM

Author Topic: Good free (or paid) way to showcase images in wordpress  (Read 1293 times)

Supes

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Resolution Photography
Good free (or paid) way to showcase images in wordpress
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:42:19 PM »
Hey guys. I'm a professional photographer and as such my image presentation makes or breaks my business. I haven't had any complaints about my website but I know that my image galleries look pretty plain jane.

Right now, I just did a basic "upload insert media" from the pannel right above were you can post text on a page. I set the colums and rows to look somewhat nice and when you click on an image it gets bigger and you can slide around from there. It's functional, doesn't look terrible, but I'd like to get something slick looking for 2013. Are their any plugins or widgets or ways to make galleries look cool? I'm hoping that when someone lands on the page there is a single large image that is up there for a few seconds, another one shuffles in, ect ect. Perhaps a bar on the side or bottom shows the next few images coming up so the user can skip ahead? I'm willing to pay money if it means things will look better. Thanks for any tips or referrals guys!

Here's a link to my page, you'll probably need that. http://imagesbyjilane.com/senior-ladies/ Thanks again!
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's impossible to verify their origin.
-Abe Lincoln
www.resolutionseniors.com

average_guy

• Student
    • View Profile
    • WP Round Table
Re: Good free (or paid) way to showcase images in wordpress
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 11:59:10 PM »
You're trying to get me in trouble aren't you?  "Sure, you were looking at the plugins..."

I'm going to guess you've found what you were looking for because what you've got looks great and this an old-ish post. 

The only real advice I was going to give before I checked out your site wasn't really great advice anyways, but I'll throw it out there. 

Depending on your web browser, you can get add-ons and tools that will sometimes tell you what plugins are being used on a site.  Then if you find a blog that looks like what you are looking for you can open the tool and see which plugin they are using.  Other than that, a simple google or "add plugin" search will give you tons of list and you can youtube each for videos demonstrating their potential. 

Unfortunately, it's hard to get really good advice on specific photo plugins via forums just do to the nature of describing a vision. 

Looks great and good luck!!!

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 10:38:08 AM »
Your page looks fine, all depends on what you want it to do.  I am confused when I click on a picture as to whether I'm seeing related pictures or random pictures in the smaller images. 

http://www.tripwiremagazine.com/2012/11/wordpress-slider-plugin.html   Shows several slider plugins.  Or if using nextgen, there is a nextgen scroll gallery.

Supes

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Resolution Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 11:31:59 PM »
Well the mainpage slideshow I'm happy with. It's something that seems to be part of my theme (it's called duotive 3). It's not a plugin that I can see, I've tried switching themes and when I do I lose my cool mainpage minipicture slideshow thing.

Thanks for the moral support average_guy, I use firefox so I'll look for that plugin seeker thing you were talking about. Sounds like a fantastic way to search!

Heidi, thanks for the link. I'm letting it load in another browser window right now so I didn't see it yet but I'm sure it's great. To answer you question, as of right now when you click on one of the mainpage images it'll send you to our Top Model signup page. Once I have a bit more time I'll make it so if you click on a girls picture, you go to the girls picture page. If you click on a epic sports one you to to the sports page. Ect ect. I'll look into that nextgen thing too. I'm pretty good at getting things to look nice but don't always know what underlying code to use. I'm good at painting but not so much at constructing houses! haha
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's impossible to verify their origin.
-Abe Lincoln
www.resolutionseniors.com