January 18, 2018, 03:35:54 PM

Author Topic: Why isn't my site ranked higher?  (Read 1308 times)

Supes

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Resolution Photography
Why isn't my site ranked higher?
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:25:26 AM »
Probably a common question. haha. However I've followed all the rules I know possible. I'm a photographer and over the last few months have posted all my images with unique names for what i want to rank for. Instead of naming the file "img_124" I called it "green_bay_senior_picture_cheer" and put that in the alt tags as well. My site and business doesn't lend itself well to a frequently updated blog (which is what the 5MWJ show seems to center around) and it is pretty heavy on pictures. I use the wordpress SEO plugin that ranks all my pages and most of them are in the green or yellow. Some pages I simply don't have a way of jamming in keywords (the contact us page for example, the idea is to keep it simple).

I'm just not sure what I'm missing? I don't know how to get people to make links to my site naturally. I have a friend/competitor who just started off on his own less than a year ago and despite having a flash based site he is now ranked #1 for the term "green bay senior photographer". He's sorta a friend of mine but I can't really ask him how he's doing it since he's direct competition. :s And some of the people who outrank me aren't even good sites! There's a wedding photographer on there with a cheepo site who has a single page dedicated to shooting highschool seniors yet that guy outranks me too? I've had this site for 4 years! Grr. There are .blogspot sites that outrank me. The flippin YELLOW PAGES search result outranks my actual site. Yep.

My site
www.imagesbyjilane.com

I'm open to any suggestions. I have a decent understanding of SEO but apparently I'm missing something. I have a pretty well used facebook page with lots of fans but I'd really like to get more clients, more than just word of mouth people. Any help would be appreciated! All I can think of doing now is going back to older picture galleries and manually changing the title and meta tags on each and every image. Will that boost things? Or is that actually HURTING my site? I'm getting all sorts of info back and forth online, how is there not a simple solid solution?
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's impossible to verify their origin.
-Abe Lincoln
www.resolutionseniors.com

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
Re: Why isn't my site ranked higher?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:04:49 AM »
First off I would go read everything on blogging that you can. I read 2-3 blogging articles each day.

Apply what you can and see fit to your own site. I use something from, or an article about once a week.

Even though I don't always use what I read, it teaches me other things and maybe one day those things I've read will be useful. Or I can take bits and pieces from several articles and combine them for a great idea.

Blogging is about experimentation. I just like to experiment lightly as I build my site. Others take a different approach.
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

Supes

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Resolution Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
Well that's great advice but I'm not sure you fully read my post. My site isn't a blog. It simply doesn't lend itself well to a blog system (with posts, readers, followers, ect). I have competition that isn't blog based yet are ranked much higher on google. I'm trying to figure out why that isn't me. Thanks!
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's impossible to verify their origin.
-Abe Lincoln
www.resolutionseniors.com

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:37:15 PM »
Yes I did think you were talking about a blog instead of a static site.

I'm not familiar with static sites. Have you thought about adding a blog to the site to help you climb in the rankings? A lot of business are adding blogs.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness