January 21, 2018, 08:16:49 PM

Author Topic: Which type of social networking to choose?  (Read 1529 times)

PennyT

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Remake My Plate
Which type of social networking to choose?
« on: November 26, 2012, 12:36:33 PM »
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've been back to this site. Had a bunch of website/blog problems to deal with and then got caught up with school work. Returning to school, working part time and still having to take care of a family takes up the majority of my day. Thankfully things should relax a bit at the end of this semester which will give me more time to work on building the blog/website back up again.

My website problem has now been dealt with but it resulted in having to build a new site under a new domain name. This site will be my main biz site and the one that I hope to draw in people who are interested in online nutrition consultations (I'm finishing my degree to be a dietitian). Since all work and no play isn't much fun I'm also playing around with another blog that focuses on something a bit more fun and not related in any way to nutrition.....I'm a serious horror fan girl.

My question for all of you who use FB, twitter and other types of social media.....if you only had a limited amount of time to work with social media which sites would you use? I find FB to be a pain in the butt however people seem to like it. Twitter is much faster and I can use Tweetdeck to look through and respond to stuff under both my nutrition biz name as well as the horror site. I've also been using Pinterest for posting pictures and it will also post directly to twitter. Is it necessary to use all of the different sites....FB, twitter, pinterest, etc or do you get just as big of a bang for your time buck by focusing on 1 or 2 of them? Or perhaps I just don't know how to connect them all together to save time in posting to each place individually. Anyone have any words of wisdom as to which sites might be the best to focus on using? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Penny

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
Re: Which type of social networking to choose?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
I think it depends on your audience.  I like twitter, however, don't use it as much anymore as most conversations are taking place on Facebook.   I use twitter more like a crowd sourced search engine at times. 

That said I get more traffic from YouTube (as I have videos there, linking back to blog) than any other social media site.  I do little there beyond posting videos with description and link back to site. 

Now if you have a lots of cool pictures, pinterest works well. 

My son who programs uses twitter, sometimes g+ for longer conversations, and github (place programmers share code, etc).   You almost never see him on Facebook, ever. 

My thoughts: it is like writing a book.  Some people want the hardback version, some paperback.   Others want an ebook, or audio book.  Some want a movie version.    The most popular books have each of these ways for their fans to hear their story.  Many fans will buy more than one.    The important thing is to offer info in the form your audience prefers.   Now a book doesn't have all these versions at once.  First the hardback is released, then the paperback, etc.

With limited time and resources, possibly add one at a time, develop a routine that works, less time consuming then add another.  If a lot of cool images, pinterest.   Videos, Youtube, etc. 

PennyT

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Remake My Plate
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 02:36:34 PM »

My thoughts: it is like writing a book.  Some people want the hardback version, some paperback.   Others want an ebook, or audio book.  Some want a movie version.    The most popular books have each of these ways for their fans to hear their story.  Many fans will buy more than one.    The important thing is to offer info in the form your audience prefers.   Now a book doesn't have all these versions at once.  First the hardback is released, then the paperback, etc.

With limited time and resources, possibly add one at a time, develop a routine that works, less time consuming then add another.  If a lot of cool images, pinterest.   Videos, Youtube, etc.

Thanks for the response Heidi. I think what I am seeing is the whole book analogy.....hardcover, paperback, audio, etc. When I ask people what social networking would be best to use they usually tell me the one that they prefer to use. Their choice however isn't based on anything in particular except it happens to be the one they use.

I do find that pinterest is good for pictures especially food/recipe related ones. People surf pinterest to build up boards of different recipes they want to try. I'm fairly new to twitter but have found it easy to quickly pass along interesting links to things like movies, posts on other blogs, special sales, etc. It's fast and easy to pass along the info without having to write a blog post. I've tried saving links/info up to put in a blog post but then never get around to it. Twitter seems to solve that.

It's hard to tell which ones to use when you first start out. I notice that when people post things like contests they offer chances to win if you do things like comment, post to FB, post to Twitter, etc. It makes me wonder if being connected in soooo many different ways is really necessary. Or will doing multiple things just take away time that could be better spent focused on one or maybe two things in particular.

Penny

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:05:47 PM »
How many radio stations do you want to be on?  or TV stations?   

It is good to be on the ones popular with your audience.  More exposure.  Just the same, as you said, it takes time.  If you aren't familiar with them, and time is limited, learn one or two well, add later.  There are tools which can post to twitter, facebook, linkedin, etc automatically each time you post.  Or you can time these links for a specific time, using more tools. 

Posting links into empty space though give you little traction. To be effective, you must be involved, networking, interacting.  That can't be sourced out to a tool.   

It may work otherwise for others, but I believe it is better to do one or two well, than be everywhere.  Then I look at my traffic stats, and most new traffic comes from YouTube and I spend little time there, people I've never met before, source of new friends.   I get more referrals from long-time friends on Facebook.