November 23, 2017, 09:54:04 PM

Author Topic: What would you do with this now?  (Read 2605 times)

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
What would you do with this now?
« on: November 08, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »
Hey there, if there's anyone left...

My Halloween site www.scarydad.com is doing pretty well. I launched in June and I've managed to post near daily content. I'm at an average of 150 daily visitors. I have 170 Twitter followers and 65 FB likes. I have 2 email subscribers.

Most posts end with a call to action for likes, follows, and subscribes, but people do what they like, I guess.

Most of my traffic is coming from Google searches of related content and my bounce rate is low so I know I'm doing it right.

I haven't attempted to do any affiliate marketing except for Amazon links to products I review or discuss. So far I haven't had any sales from this either. I do not place a call to action on the links. I've been running this thing pretty close to the vest so that my traffic is legitimate and organic- so that I could cater posts to those who would be the "true" fans and branch out from there. And now I believe I'm ready to branch out.

My question is: What should I do now?

I am about to start a series on Zombie survival that will be a tongue-in-cheek way to discuss prepper stuff that I am into, so there are those retailers and gear people to approach as affiliates.

I've also just thought about running my own contests by buying something and giving it away for "likes" and "follows."

I want to have shirts and stickers made and use these as giveaway swag too.

Should I even attempt affiliate links at this time or continue to grow organically for a while?

Anything else I should do that I'm missing?

Thanks

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
Re: What would you do with this now?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 10:14:03 PM »
I can't answer your questions but I can say that the zombie survival thing sounds interesting.  I think people would go for it because it has a kind of sense of humor to it.

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 10:34:56 PM »
Yeah, after this election there seems to be a lot of eyes opening to the possibility of tough times ahead. I also know there are far better men than me to teach that lesson. But I figure a shot to the head works whether it's a zombie or some looter trying to take your stuff in a crisis, so why not learn to do it and get the gear. After all,  a crackhead is far more likely than a zombie, right? So I'll teach prepper lite in a way that gets new people to start thinking about it.

Man, I wish this forum would come back. I miss it.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »
You've built a blog, added content, traffic started, and learned many valuable skills.  I can throw out some ideas, which may or may not be the direction you want to go with.  Get ideas from several people, go with what sounds right to you.

I'd work on traffic and continue with content.   You could test affiliate links but my guess is that they won't give you much $ till your numbers increase.  Companies that sell costumes, etc would be great.  And people dress up for other occasions than Halloween. 

Look at which keywords are sending traffic, work to get higher in the search engines for those terms.  Which posts seem most popular?  What types of things are people in your niche searching for?  What do you search for and wish you could find?

Good ideas @BillyS.   I've had several friends work toward helping others start their own small business, because of the way things are going.  It won't end with 2012.

The forum is still here.  It isn't gone.  Even if no new podcasts, doesn't mean we can't help each other.   

Zombie survival series could work.  Fun and informative at the same time. I'm not sure what your plans are for this.  If you like to write, the series could be like a story or TV series, where your readers have to subscribe or come back so they can continue the story, not miss any.  It would be unique content, not found elsewhere.  You could take those posts, improve, edit, add to and turn into a book or ebook, your own product.   Use the characters you create throughout your site.  And when you get back to preparing for Halloween, those characters could be involved in some way.  And of course at this time, T-shirts, stickers and other swag for sale.  Again, your own products.  Something not available elsewhere.

Or you could collect local ghost stories from various places, local legends, etc.  Or your zombies or/and scary dad could visit the various local places and in your series engage the local creepies.  Start with your local area.  Where are the best haunts? etc.  Ask your readers what scary stories they have in their local area.

Get your readers involved.  As your traffic picks up easier to do.  You may have a completely different vision than this.  That is fine.  But unique content, not found elsewhere, think of something you could do for your own products, such as the t-shirts you are thinking of, but first flesh out the character/brand some more.   

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 11:08:24 PM »
The other character idea isn't something i'd thought about but it's definitely workable. "Scarydad" is a character but it's just me narrating tutorials or introducing posts.

But since Scarydad is insane, he was just dabbling with zombie plague, had it get stolen in a break-in, and so is now preparing for the inevitable apocalypse that will occur whenever someone opens the jar... 

I'm going to need a shotgun, a knife, a jeep, etc. We're going to need a sack full of Bic lighters and some new running shoes...

Thanks Heidi. I think you just found the next phase of the website.

I begin this project right now.