January 18, 2018, 03:16:20 PM

Author Topic: Free Blog site recommendation?  (Read 1245 times)

Madman

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Calusa Commons
    • Email
Free Blog site recommendation?
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »
Am looking to start a blog and I want to do a bit of 'test marketing' to get started.  Does anyone have a recommendation on a free blog site?  Is Blogspot the best? or just the biggest?

The blog will be on how lessons taken from online war gaming can be applied to leadership, management and basic business practices.  For now, I am only intending a weekly blog due to real life constraints.  But if it generates traction, I will move it to its own domain and site before expanding.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
Re: Free Blog site recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »
IMO you will regret using a free site later when your blog starts to grow.  You will have to figure out how to move your site to a new domain, get all your posts and links working again, figure out how to avoid losing your google search ranking, and so on.

It is so inexpensive to setup a blog on your own domain, I think you should just do it.

triangletactical

• Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »
I did this first. Importing everything from a from Wordpress.com to your selfhosted wordpress is pretty easy.

I'd just invest the $100 for a year of hosting and be done with it.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »
I agree, get your domain name and hosting is best from the start.  Save yourself some headaches.

If not possible, buy the domain, pay wordpress.com $13 year so they will map your domain so you keep your search rankings when upgrading to your own hosting.  I think blogger will do that too.  But if you plan on using wordpress, at least you'd become somewhat familiar with it. 

I've moved sites for clients from both blogger.com and wordpress.com to a wordpress site on their own hosting account such as Host Gator.  You may save on the hosting from the start, but end up paying that or more to have it moved, or take time to figure out how the make the move yourself.