January 16, 2018, 03:13:15 PM

Author Topic: Off Grid Blogging  (Read 1079 times)

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
Off Grid Blogging
« on: October 31, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
As most of us here begin to build small businesses with our blogs we need to think about backups for power and internet failures. As your blog grows you become more connected to it and the internet. What is your plan if either the power or internet fail.

This is a reality I am facing and I one day hope to do as Jack, and so many other bloggerss have and step away from a job to blog full time.

So what is your backup for a power or internet failure?
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
Re: Off Grid Blogging
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:35:41 PM »
Redundancy. 

My oldest son is a programmer and works from home.  He bought a home with 2 acres out of town.   He must have internet working at all times, good enough to video conference if possible with team members.  He has several internet accounts.  Cable, which is quickest, but sometimes down, has a monthly bandwidth limit.  DSL which goes down often on weekends and times when cell phones are in heavy use.  (They seem to share the same cable, and phone company says that is all they can do, sometimes down for a day or two.)    His phone has a data plan.  So do some of his tablets.   Worst case he could come over to my house where the internet is slightly faster and more dependable, or someplace else with internet.

A friend of mine, when she was suddenly with computer, went to the public library to keep up with her sites.

Backup UPS.  I remember checking news online when our power was out from a massive ice storm.   Cable was working, cell phones where down, dsl and phone lines where down.  The backup ran the desktop computer, modem and router.   However, UPS was a very short term solution.   You could power some of these things from a generator.  Smart phone with data plan probably best back up.  Car chargers.

I think a plan in case you are incapacitated would also be good.  Someone with high trust, who could keep things going for you, while you recovered, etc. who had your various login passwords, and other info.

mxitman

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • RicksDIY
    • Email
Re: Off Grid Blogging
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:22:01 PM »
Yea I concur with finding several solutions, my wife can work remotely and when we visit her family in Northern  MN, the internet cuts out pretty frequently for hours at a time, so she goes into town (20 Mins) & (Pop 180) and goes to the coffee shop to use the internet...
HVAC/R Mechanic, Stay At Home Dad Trying To Get Some Of My Ideas Flowing.

http://ricksdiy.com & http://heezy.com