January 21, 2018, 02:21:23 AM

Author Topic: RSS Feed broken  (Read 1903 times)

Sicone

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
RSS Feed broken
« on: October 25, 2012, 08:21:40 AM »
Hello everyone. I had a reader email me recently and tell me that my RSS feed was only showing one article. I looked and it has titles for all the articles but every feed is the same one. The most recent one. I've dug and fiddled and have no clue whats going on.
My feeds are:
http://survivalpunk.com/feed/
http://feeds.feedburner.com/SurvivalPunk

any clue whats going on? Thanks!

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
Re: RSS Feed broken
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »
I checked it again today. It's even stranger. Instead of unique title with identical body text, they had unique titles and 1 of 3-4 different body texts.

I didn't try both of your feeds (default and Feedburner). Are they both screwed up? That will slightly narrow down your problem's location.

A laborious but potentially effect tactic would be to replace all your RSS functions:
Download whichever version of WordPress you're using.
Unzip it.
Go into the wp-includes folder.
Find all the .php files with RSS in the title.
Then get into your server and find all the RSS files in the wp-includes folder on the server.
Delete the RSS files that are on the server.
Upload the fresh versions from your computer.

Also, you can re-save your permalink settings. Probably will do nothing but that's the magic fix all like restarting your computer.

Good luck,

Josh

Sicone

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 04:30:28 AM »
Thanks for the ideas Josh. Tried both still no luck...odd

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 08:33:58 AM »
You regular feed is looking ok, 3 posts.  To control how many posts show up in your feed, in your dashboard, go to settings, and enter your desired number under syndication feeds.  If you want more than 3, change that number.

I was getting different titles but some text on the feedburner feed.  Now it no longer looks like a feedburner feed but the regular feed.   Something fixed/changed while looking at it.

You may want to consider using a subscribe to email updates through mail chimp or aweber. 

Sicone

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:19:00 AM »
Still wonky. I changed it to 3 posts to see if that would help. I'm still seeing the same posts with different titles. Pretty odd. I use aweber but I have some readers that prefer rss (shrugs)

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 04:19:37 AM »
email only gets you the lastest. readers can go back through old stuff with RSS (and it gets around filters).

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »
Very strange, sometime your rss link pulls up the feedburner link which has the same post with different titles or the regular rss (non-feedburner) which gives me the short couple of lines (unique content) and the individual titles.  Your rss feed url redirects to the feedburner rss.