January 16, 2018, 03:03:06 PM

Author Topic: duplicate content google  (Read 1154 times)

greatnorthernprepper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
duplicate content google
« on: October 07, 2012, 01:56:43 AM »
Posted this in the SEO section, and decided to post it here, hoping someone can help..

---------------------------------------------
So i was just thinking, after reading over and over again through these past 6 months about how Google doesnt like duplicate content, i would just skim that and say....well i dont do that so no worries!

Then!....Then....I realized that i am!

I originally had a main site built with sitebuilder through hostgator and a "Blog" on .wordpress.com
Eventually with all the pain and heartache that is involved with a newbie with no experience doing this, I built a brand new wordpress page on hostgator and transferred all the old wordpress blog posts and info to the new one.

However I left up the old blog to continue to drive traffic to the new site.

So this is what i did

1) I transferred 2-3 months worth of posts to the new site from the old blog
2) every month i would transfer the new posts from the new site to the old one

I did this thinking that alot of folks were still coming to the old site and i wanted them to be able to stay updated with the course of the blog.

i realize now i am possibly being penalized by google for this and not even know it!

What are your thoughts?

Should i delete the old posts off the new site and vice versa (new posts of the old site) ?

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
Re: duplicate content google
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »
Are you still getting traffic to the old site?
Are you getting comments on the old site?

I think a compromise solution would be to just put a summary on the old site and a "read more" link pointing to the full article on the new site. I would not add new content on the old site and put a big notice in the sidebar that people need to move over to the new site. You should also set a deadline and then kill the old blog.

I am not an expert on SEO.

greatnorthernprepper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: duplicate content google
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 01:02:10 AM »
Thanks Josh, i am still floundering, but i think i may just delete a bunch off the old blogs posts except for the main ones that bring alot of traffic still, and delete those ones off the new site, to make sure i keep everything above board in googles eyes.