January 16, 2018, 03:04:25 PM

Author Topic: Approaching Artists?  (Read 1057 times)

Alfonso Crawford

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Alfonso Crawford, the Slackerjack
Approaching Artists?
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »
A print-shop I'm helping to build is still just starting up. An I idea I had was to try getting the business of some artists with established followings, and leverage their popularity to build a name for ourselves. Thing is, to do this, I need to just straight-up ask the artists to do it, which feels... spammy. Here's my question: would it be prudent to be plainly honest with them, like:
Hey, we've got the tools to do the job, but we don't have the audience: that's where you come in. We can print onto a lot of different things, we try to price things well, and since we're pretty flexible since we're a small business.
Or should I go another route? Logistically, I'm thinking an Etsy-setup where we make a thing and send 'em photos to upload to their own page and then they just buy from us and send us the shipping-address would work? Any feedback is appreciated, as I'm all kinds of messed up over this (which is probably obvious).
Alfonso Crawford, the Slackerjack - Quick programming tips, bad art, and general nonsense
ITECH PLUS - Vinyl Signs and Thermal Printing

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
Re: Approaching Artists?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 09:46:33 PM »
I think you have to get to know ppl, rather than just send them random comments out of the blue.  You know, talk to them about something they made and what it means to you, etc.  Then you can be like "hey, I also print these things for other people (social proof), and maybe you'd be a good choice for an artist for my company to advertise."