January 16, 2018, 03:19:27 PM

Author Topic: PROGRESS!!  (Read 1944 times)

greatnorthernprepper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
PROGRESS!!
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:47:15 PM »
So my original site was www.greatnorthernprepper.com which i consider my baby and my passion, I put alot of my heart and soul (as well as lots of time!) into this site.  I try to get at least 5 posts a week into this and have been way to spotty with the podcast, was wanting a weekly, but it seemed like i would record, and not get around to it, or got busy and didnt get another recorded and it ended up being a bi-monthly podcast, which i dont want and have been working on getting consistency.

I first started out this whole process not knowing a DANG THING ABOUT IT! and had a steep learning curve and still do in most aspects, but the day to day i have down pat now.  I started out with around 0 maybe 1 or 2 the first few weeks and it climbed to 10-20 within the first 6 weeks (that was March).

I leveled off around 100 unique a day, and about 40 were from paid stumble upon that was spotty (one day average viewing was 3:41 the next 0:05)  so i quit the stumbleupon and said "self this will make it on its own"

so i dropped to 60-70 for awhile then got back up to 100...over the last two months it started to climb to the 125-150's then levelled off again for a month, but finally started creeping up.  In the last week i have now been averaging over 230 a day, which im excited about!

and i think from the data i see on analytics its going to stay that way and grow organically!

i am also hitting the point where the site is paying for itself so im not in the "paying money to work" mode but in the "working for free" mode which is awesome as weird as it sounds!

I started a few niche sites as well...well have two launched in the last 3 weeks and am working on the other 5 websites i bought.

Time is harder to come by now.  have a new daughter we welcomed a few weeks ago and my semester started for my final year in college (which by my age i should have finished years and years ago!) 

Any advice on anything?

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
Re: PROGRESS!!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:03:47 PM »
Right on! Keep up the great work.
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 06:49:29 AM »
If you have multiple sites, having one central dashboard where you can update, backup them all at once,  post, etc if a great time saver.  See http://boomerempowerment.com/wordpress101/how-to-update-mulitple-wordpress/

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:53:06 AM »
I don't know if it will help you but I've built a long timeline of benchmarks that I expect to hit and it keeps me loyal even when I don't want to be.

With Scarydad, I realize the bulk of my traffic will come between September and November, with maybe some holiday cheer if I cater posts to the Christmas crowd. This is not something I can really change, so I expect my traffic to drop off because it's a seasonal site.

However, there is a large and growing cult of year-round Halloween enthusiasts; people who prepare their personal or charity haunts all year and shop for deals and look for ideas all year long. Remember what Jack said about 1,000 true fans...

So, I'm setting timeline benchmarks so that I neither get overwhelmed or try to bite off too much. Here's a sample of my plan since June:

June:
1. Start site, post daily content.
2. Create social network pages
3. At 10 posts, send Facebook and Twitter invites
4. Post content, automate site links to FB and Twitter

July:
1. Post daily content
2. Continue to build social network- Join Pinterest and Tapiture
3. Design site logo and mission

August:
1. Publish site logo
2. Post daily content
3. Really ramp up social capital through networks
4. Analyze demographics and traffic sources, cater social network communication to correct demo

September: (Busy season)
1. Post daily content
2. Playful social networking
3. Projects and prepare for Halloween

October:
1. Project tutorials
2. Attend niche-related events (festivals, haunts, and parties) gather photo cache
3. Twice-daily content
4. Print stickers/shirts
5. Social Network contests/giveaways

November:
1. Post daily content
2. Set up some paid advertising to help enthusiasts discover site
3. Site revamp

This is what I have on the board for the last few and next couple months. It helps me know where I'm going and where I've been.

Hope it helps.

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:26:20 PM »
Good job, my only advice is to keep going on. We need to motivate each other and your story is motivating. Keep it up!!
Agricultrual Insights a blog dedicated to sustainable agriculture and grazing.

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 08:13:20 PM »
I can't help but thing a "Ways to store your Halloween stuff" type post would be awesome! A how to guide to make next years setup a breeze.

Or "Don't buy those expensive decoration holders, here is how to store decorations for free"

I know it is totally off topic, but just a thought.
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:16:30 AM »
I can't help but thing a "Ways to store your Halloween stuff" type post would be awesome! A how to guide to make next years setup a breeze.

Or "Don't buy those expensive decoration holders, here is how to store decorations for free"

I know it is totally off topic, but just a thought.

Thanks for the idea! It's definitely something that can become a problem for someone who goes all out. As I'm making stuff this year I'm trying to figure out ways that they can easily be re-purposed for other holidays as well as being collapsible. For example, when I built the Jack o' lantern in the box, it's a 3/4" plywood box with working hinges. When he's done, all of his parts easily fit inside the box and the box closes.

Luckily most of the stuff I'm doing is family friendly and will cross over to Christmas as well (Thank you Nightmare Before Christmas!) so most of my Halloween stuff is Christmas stuff too.

That is certainly a great idea for a potentially valuable tutorial.

Thanks!!!