January 19, 2018, 10:46:54 PM

Author Topic: Be Careful what you say  (Read 2929 times)

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
Be Careful what you say
« on: September 12, 2012, 01:53:52 PM »
So this happened to me today,
I get called into my managers office. He asked me about something I posted in a forum. It seems that he got a call from the VW legal department. They were all tweaked out about something I said.

There was a 5 page thread about a certain issue with the 2012 Jetta. Guys complaining about a hesitation. I chimed in saying that one of the sales man has this issue. I then said we were working the the regional tech expert to see if there were other cases. I also said "I think they will come up with some type of software update".

Well the shit rolled down hill from there. Several people from corporate called my boss's boss and it was this whole big ordeal. I had to delete my comments from the forum thread. I am pissed because I didn't say ANYTHING wrong. There is no possible way to form a situation where what I said could be harmful. NONE!!!

Anyway, just thought I would throw a word of caution to y'all. For some reason I am really pissed off about this!  >:( >:( >:( >:(
Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
Re: Be Careful what you say
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »
Bean counters and most corporate lawyers don't understand social media.   

It is not like you were making a statement for their company.  Adding an "in my opinion" instead of delete your comments should have covered all bases for them.  (In my opinion, I'm not a corporate lawyer nor bean counter thankfully)

If they were smart they'd have added their own statement.

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
This sounds like yet another way of corporations prying into the personal lives of their employees. And this is another reason I keep my business and job seperate.

It sucks that corporations can't keep their noses out of personal business.
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »
Yeah I try to keep business and personal separate too. The bad part is they are very intertwined. I don't announce where I work or anything.

My first thought was to do a post about how I am being censored. After talking it over with my wife I decided not to. I will just let it be.

I don't have any plans to change what I do or what I say. I am worried that at some point it will cost me my job.

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:25:30 PM »
I know what you mean. If my employer finds out about my site I'm toast too. That's where you have to work and get things ready for your online stuff to pick up the slack for when you loose your job or tell them where to stick it. Which I hope to get the privlage of telling them within the next 18 months.
GunPreparedness.com
CriminalProtectionZone.com
@gunpreparedness

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 07:41:50 PM »
I know what you mean. If my employer finds out about my site I'm toast too. That's where you have to work and get things ready for your online stuff to pick up the slack for when you loose your job or tell them where to stick it. Which I hope to get the privlage of telling them within the next 18 months.

Man I hope that for you too! The thing is, I love my job. Parts of the job suck, including the people that I work with. I don't really want to leave.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:18:18 PM »
It sounds to me like you are doing the right thing by helping people in the forum thread and your bosses are acting stupid.  You have a tough situation because you are blogging about what you do during the day... it must be hard to stay anonymous.

You are doing a good job on your site, you are one of the most dedicated bloggers out there.  IMO vw is f'ing up by not endorsing your site.  I guess any big company is like that...

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 07:04:13 AM »
I guess the genie is out of the bottle at this point, but maybe you should have gone further underground. Corporate fascism being what it is, I don't tell ANYONE what I do in my spare time.

I used to be in a band. Our gimmick was that we wore costumes at every show. One night from the stage I saw some people I worked with. They were dancing and drinking and having a good time. I was bummed out because I didn't want them to know about this "unprofessional" side of me. My mask was cheesy, but it worked. On Monday they were all telling me how I should have come out- that they watched this awesome costume band and I missed it! They had no idea! It was a weird kind of anonymity, but it kept me safe from having to explain drunken costumed rock-star antics, sexual innuendos, and drug references to my regional director.

That's why I use pseudonyms and avatars in all my social media. I don't think I could handle it if some bean counter told me I couldn't do what I loved in my own spare time.

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 07:52:17 AM »
@r00tbeer,
Thanks for the kind words! I agree about VW being lame about it. I wonder if someone is filing a law suite about the issue.

@BillyS
That is a great story! HA,
I tried REALLY hard to keep what I was doing under the radar. All while busting my butt to get the word out about the site. I know most of the people at my dealer don't know what I do, but keeping VW out of the loop is almost impossible.

So here is my next dilemma. Should I say anything to the people that read the blog? In my mind, they have the right to know. I don't want to rally the troops or anything. I just want to tell them what happened. My gut says leave it alone. It will only cause more problems. I think that is what I will do..

Does anyone else feel like they will never learn to keep their mouth shut? For some reason, I just can't see to do it.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »
I would just keep quiet. Posts in forums disappear often enough and you can easily enough avoid the subject. You really have to worry about a conflict of interest between you and your employers.

While your readers might have a "right to know," you are not under any obligation to share, especially if it risks your own potential harm or loss. Just change the subject and move on.

If it turns into something later on, you have the knowledge.

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »
I would just keep quiet. Posts in forums disappear often enough and you can easily enough avoid the subject. You really have to worry about a conflict of interest between you and your employers.

While your readers might have a "right to know," you are not under any obligation to share, especially if it risks your own potential harm or loss. Just change the subject and move on.

If it turns into something later on, you have the knowledge.

That's kinda what I am thinking will be best.  ;D