January 21, 2018, 08:04:19 PM

Author Topic: Two niche sites for review  (Read 2344 times)

greatnorthernprepper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Two niche sites for review
« on: September 12, 2012, 09:33:22 AM »
Let me know what you think, brutal honesty is always best! Its the only way i can get better!

www.blackwaterjob.com

www.purreview.com

After listening to Smart Passive income with Pat Flynn on Itunes and an episode with Nicole Dean, I agree with here in that any site you put up should make the internet a better place.  So yes i want to make money from ad revenue BUT i want these sites to offer value and not just junk.

So if theres too much adsense, not enough value, too little info, whatever let me know!

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
Re: Two niche sites for review
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:25:19 PM »
Wow, good job.

For the blackwater site, I think you have too many Ad's. Your landing page for the ebook looks good. I'm interested to look at it when you are done. I'm currently writing one as well. I also love the idea of selling it on Amazon for $ and giving it away for free on your site. However, could you run into trouble later with pissed off customers that come to your site and see you are giving it away?

The Pur site looks great. Except on the sales pages, there is also, in my opinion too many ads, it looks confusing. Overall great job setting up two niche sites, I think that's awesome.

Agricultrual Insights a blog dedicated to sustainable agriculture and grazing.

greatnorthernprepper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:36:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply Chris.

Ads:  I thought it might be to ad heavy myself, but i went with it anyway!
For that should i continue to leave the large right justified ad at the top and then maybe a small line ad at the bottom with nothing in the middle or just have the one ad at the top and nothing else?

E-Book:
Are you writing a BW ebook as well?
I understand the possibility of people buying it on amazon and then coming to the site (because im definitely advertising the site in the ebook!) and then going HEY WTF!.

But if someone buys it on amazon and never comes to the site then they i never get that readership again, they get a one time value, i get a one time value.

with the site they get alot of value as well, but i will get some value back in ad revenue.

I have been thinking of this, and let me know what you think.

1) whowever complains gets a refund

2) I publish the whole book in separate posts (which i was planning to do anyways to get the blog content out of the pain in the process of writing the ebook) and then doing like alot of guys do, and say
"Everything you get in this ebook is free on the site, but if you want it in one nice package with no searching and copy/pasting, here it is for 6.99"

Now that i think of it i like that approach more and more, so ANYONE that gets it on Amazon has nothing to complain about and I would put in the book description notes something like....

"All the information shared freely with the world on Blackwaterjob.com is now in available in an easy to read and protable package...."

What say you?

Also what was wrong with the sales pages?

and quick question what size screen do you have and what browser did you use?

Im concerned the theme framework for PUR REVIEW is too wide or some computers and they will have 1/4 of the site cut off.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:26:26 PM »
I am curious how you get people to visit the sites.  Are you doing paid advertising or what?  They seem very specific, I am just wondering how you drive traffic to the site.

I would expand the Blackwater site to be "how do I become a mercenary", then you will get more viewers, but maybe you know something I don't about how to gain traffic!

greatnorthernprepper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 10:50:32 PM »
r00tbeer,

currently i am NOT doing any paid advertising.  I had a bunch of that "free credit" on google and bing and have been saving them for once i get more content published and grow a bit in the rankings by that as well through SEO keyword research and writing articles specific to those keywords. which im happy with the amount of posts i have currently (For the time being)

I am also trying a tactic that was recommended on Pat Flynn's Smart Passive Income Podcast.  Which was to write articles for Ezine and Ehow, which are basically unpaid but help your backlinks.  So currently instead of trying to post everyday on the sites.  I am trying to write 1 article a week, then tweak it so its slightly different and send it to another, tweak again, etc, etc.  Then i tweak it a final time and submit it to INFOBARREL so at least i can earn a little adsense or amazon income here and there from that work as well.  The old expand he next to catch more fish.

With this i hope to gain a little bit more traction.

With the Blackwater site specifically, I used to work for them so i know that company, its contracts and requirements very well.  I cant speak AS authoritatively on other contracts as i can on them so i figured, go niche niche on this one, im not looking for 1000 visitors a day, im looking for those very interested and dedicated individuals who are actually looking for REAL information on how to work for them.  With that extremely targeted group I think i can convert well.  My plan is to finish the ebook im writing on "how to", which involves the weapons qualifications, physical qualifications, what each job entails and how to write a resume correctly, which is key to getting the job.

I will post ALL of the ebook on the site in dedicated posts over the next few months and then offer the ebook on amazon for 9.99 with the whole caveat. "You can get all this information for free on my site, but if you dont want to scroll through every post and copy and paste, you can get it all here in a easy and fast manner" or something to that effect.

This isnt a site that will be around in perpetuum, but will be relevant for the next few-5 years as the contracting world continues to expand and then inevitably returns to normal.

The reason that i chose Blackwater over "how to be a mercenary" is for one reason....well two since you mentioned the M word.

mercenary is someone who lives in one country and goes to fight in another country for another country. 
As a Blackwater contractor i was an american who worked for america overseas, in a official capacity, albeit not a traditional role.

doing the keyword research i found REALLY good traffic for BW how to job type of keywords and upon actually looking around the net....the top rated sites were the SCUMMMY SCUMMY SCUMMY of the scummiest adsense sites.

a couple paragraphs, one page, with a crapton of adsense (and yes my adsense is a bitt too much which i will fix once i am done with my taxes!)

so theres no real value or information on the first page of google for real people wanting real information

I subscribe to what Nicole Dean (a niche website entrepreneur) said, in that Yes we want to make money and convert our readers and visitors to dollars, but we also want to offer value and make the internet a better place.

I want to do that as well.

I things dont pick up i may play around with google and bing ads as well as stumbleupon but i will see how they work out and convert.  I feel as long as i offer value, and pump out quality content, and try and help the visitors who take time to come to my site, things will happen, good things will happen.

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 04:43:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply Chris.

Ads:  I thought it might be to ad heavy myself, but i went with it anyway!
For that should i continue to leave the large right justified ad at the top and then maybe a small line ad at the bottom with nothing in the middle or just have the one ad at the top and nothing else?

E-Book:
Are you writing a BW ebook as well?
I understand the possibility of people buying it on amazon and then coming to the site (because im definitely advertising the site in the ebook!) and then going HEY WTF!.

But if someone buys it on amazon and never comes to the site then they i never get that readership again, they get a one time value, i get a one time value.

with the site they get alot of value as well, but i will get some value back in ad revenue.

I have been thinking of this, and let me know what you think.

1) whowever complains gets a refund

2) I publish the whole book in separate posts (which i was planning to do anyways to get the blog content out of the pain in the process of writing the ebook) and then doing like alot of guys do, and say
"Everything you get in this ebook is free on the site, but if you want it in one nice package with no searching and copy/pasting, here it is for 6.99"

Now that i think of it i like that approach more and more, so ANYONE that gets it on Amazon has nothing to complain about and I would put in the book description notes something like....

"All the information shared freely with the world on Blackwaterjob.com is now in available in an easy to read and protable package...."

What say you?

Also what was wrong with the sales pages?

and quick question what size screen do you have and what browser did you use?

Im concerned the theme framework for PUR REVIEW is too wide or some computers and they will have 1/4 of the site cut off.

I think the new idea for the refund and choosing a different sales model makes sense. But, I do like the idea of getting that $ from Amazon buyers. I don't know, I don't have enough experience with this, I just wrote my first eBook and I'm editing it right now. No, its not on Blackwater.

The spacing for the PUR REVIEW site seems fine.

The ads I'm talking about are the ads under each item you have for sale. Thats a lot of freaking ads. Maybe go with your idea of having them at the top and bottom. Overall good job and keep it up. Also, did you get $100 in free adsense credit? I have $100 credit but I have no idea how to use it, and how to make it stop once the credit is up.
Agricultrual Insights a blog dedicated to sustainable agriculture and grazing.

BillFoster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 08:18:37 PM »
I like the Great Northern Prepper Podcast! I wish it was still an active site.
Walking the road to 100k

greatnorthernprepper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 08:43:43 PM »
it is! i condensed everything down to one site at www.greatnorthernprepper.com the podcast, blog, and static pages are all in one area.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 06:53:35 AM »
I have several author friends, who've added ebook versions to Amazon.  One thing they are doing, for a limited time, is to give the book away for free on Amazon.   Pushes them higher in rankings, more visible.  More comments as friends get a chance to download and review the book.  It doesn't stay free, but part of a book promotion or launch.  Amazon gets more traffic than a new niche site, but of course it'd have to be visible on Amazon too.  And your book can link back to your site.  Just a thought.

greatnorthernprepper

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 12:36:33 AM »
Heidi,

Im not sure about the promotion, only due to the fact that this is a very small niche market, theres not tens of thousands of people who need this information a month, only a few thousand, and  probably on a few hundred who are really serious enough to buy an ebook like this.

This is not so much meant to be my big money makers, but to be a decent stream once time, backlinks and seo push me up in the rankings (still kills me because the top rated pages...are just junk... search "Blackwater job" and look at like Blackwaterjobs.com and blackwatercareers.com....adsense 1 page junk!)

This is also my learning curve niche sites, im trying to do what i need to and figure out what works and what doesnt, and to learn what to do and especially WHAT NOT to do.  I KNOW there is a market for a book like this and for this information it just needs to reach the level where it is easily readable.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 07:12:25 PM »
Wow, I didn't know you really worked for Blackwater.  That gives you some serious credentials.  I would definitely mention that on your site in multiple places.  And definitely have an About the Author page.  That will separate you from all the scammers.