October 21, 2017, 04:54:14 PM

Author Topic: One article posted on multiple site  (Read 1488 times)

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
One article posted on multiple site
« on: September 10, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »
I am planning on starting a second site that is less technical than my main site so I can appeal to a more mainstream reader.  However in some cases I might write an article that would be good to post on both sites, not just on one of them.

I am wondering how Google handles this?  Will it mark down the rank of one of the sites if it has duplicate content from the other?  Should I wait for a while before posting the duplicate content?

Matt

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Survival Checklist
Re: One article posted on multiple site
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 04:35:46 PM »
From what I've read on various forums Google will not mark you down for this, however they won't mark your second site up either.

The explanation given compares duplicate posts to press releases. A press release is published and immediately it'll start getting copied all over the place. It would be silly if Google started punishing everyone who copied the release as it is adding value to readers, however these sites won't get any additional "Google Juice" (i.e. see their site rankings improve), as it's not original content. I'm not 100% if this is the case, but it makes sense to me.

As for waiting a while to publish the duplicate content, it depends if you're really trying to get one of your sites up the rankings. If you publish the duplicate too early then there's a risk that Google will index your second site first, giving it credit for creating the article and in turn giving it the "Google Juice" (I can't believe I've used that expression twice now!).

If you wanted to avoid this it'd be best to wait until Google had indexed it on the main site (which you could check by entering the full URL of the post in to Google and see if it shows up) before posting on the second site.

Matt
My Survival Checklist - Skills, Knowledge and Motivation

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 09:13:22 PM »
Another option, but does take some time is to recycle/repurpose content, give it a new spin.  I have a copywriter friend who introduced me to this concept years ago.  We had some great discussions on Ryze back in the days before Facebook.  She also pointed out how many of our online discussions would make great articles, posts.   Posts can have same information, but written differently for different audience.   Play with words.

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:45:44 PM »
Good info, thanks folks.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »
Now if you are short on time and simply want to post the same thing on several blogs at once, such as an announcement or special, there are tools which will post to all your sites at once.  Try the second option, they have a free trial for 5 sites.  I find the update all sites at once quite useful.

http://boomerempowerment.com/wordpress101/how-to-update-mulitple-wordpress/