January 21, 2018, 07:59:11 PM

Author Topic: Gun Free Zone Database  (Read 1662 times)

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
Gun Free Zone Database
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:45:46 PM »
I have created a website to hopefully be a gun free zone database that can be used all across the us.

It's a WordPress based site with front end posting and registration. I am relying on users to submit the no carry locations in their area to the site.

Could you please take a look and tell me where I need to make improvements.

CriminalProtectionZone.com

Thanks
GunPreparedness.com
@gunpreparedness

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
Re: Gun Free Zone Database
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:40:35 AM »
Pictures! Make some graphics, use a traffic light or something that shows what the state thinks of guns. Also a map for pinpointing gun-free-zones and companies
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:27:07 AM »
Thanks for your feedback. I will work on the graphics. I integrated the maps. You can see it here http://criminalprotectionzone.com/charleston-civic-center/  To get the map to work the users will have to provide me an address then I will have to go back and add the map with the location.
GunPreparedness.com
@gunpreparedness

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 09:48:20 AM »
This is a great idea and I could see it being very popular. Maybe after a while, once you get everything on your website worked out like graphics, layout etc... you could try to contact people from oath keepers, gun owners of america and maybe the NRA. Also look to people that are involved in the gun community online, I don't know specifically who those people are. But, I think if your site is professional and works well, it could be really popular.

You might have to do a lot of work up front yourself, to get a lot of locations across the US initially, so people see that your website will be applicable to them. Or, maybe go to TSP and start a forum, that might jump start the data that is coming in to your site. Good luck and awesome idea!
Agricultrual Insights a blog dedicated to sustainable agriculture and grazing.

VideoGameRescue

• Mentor
  • Bring an old friend back to life!
    • View Profile
    • Video Game Rescue
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 11:48:21 AM »
your submit location tab only allows you to edit your posts not add them. I did add a local AMC to the list though =)
Retro Gaming and bring an old friend back to life!

gunpreparedness

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Gun Preparedness
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:55:40 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.

I fixed the edit post problem, it didn't need to be a menu option and caused a slight issue anyways. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Also thanks for joining and submitting a location.
GunPreparedness.com
@gunpreparedness

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »
Hey man, just a little friendly feedback.

As I've discussed before, I really hate filling out forms in order to interact on a website. It might just be me, but I know a lot of people who feel the same way. Today I went to add a location to your Gun Free Zone database. Instead of letting me post a location, I had to fill out a form, create a username and password, then log in using the username and password....

It might not seem like much but by the end of it I was more, "screw this" than wanting to hang around.

If you are looking to grow your site with user-submitted content, I would suggest you make it as quick and easy as possible for someone to add content. Do your users really need to create an account to tell you an address?

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know what I thought. Other than that the site is really cool and I can see it being a very valuable resource in the future.