January 21, 2018, 08:05:03 PM

Author Topic: Accounting Blog Review  (Read 1309 times)

msharman

• Student
    • View Profile
    • The Sum of Business
    • Email
Accounting Blog Review
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
Hey Everyone,

To start off, here is the basic info on my blog so far:
  • Site: The Sum of Business at www.thesumofbusiness.com
  • Topic: Business Management and Accounting
  • Platform: WordPress
  • Date Started: July 2012
  • Purpose: To provide training, tools and resources to small business owners on how to start and run their businesses effectively through understanding their finances and basic accounting and bookkeeping.
  • Where I am: I am about a third of the way through building the basic written content that is going to be the core of my site. I also have some basics in the tools and resources section, but this is going to expand.
  • Where I am going (next 6 months): I want to get a core of about 120-150 posts along with a number of tools and resources to take someone from start to finish in understanding how to start and run the basics of their business. When I get there, I plan to add video courses linked to between 5-10 blogs a piece. I would like at least 20 or so videos to build out a training program. I will then build an ebook with this content as some sort of small business owner's training manual or something... but I may break this up into multiple books.
  • How does this build into my business (at the 12 month point): My model is to get 1,000 new visitors a month by 12 months, and for every 1,000 people who come to my site, 100 will be small business owners who can use the resources and information I offer. Out of that 100, 20 will read and learn, but find the accounting work they need help with to be too much for them to handle, and they will want some help. Out of that 20, I hope to get 5 leads who will trust me as a resource, and out of those 5 I hope to land 2 accounting clients for my accounting business (www.crossroadsaccountingllc.com). If this works out, I will have a steady stream of new clients to overcome natural attrition in this field, but will soon reach my business' capacity. I would then like to bring in CPA's, Enrolled Agents, Accountants, and Bookkeepers I know and trust to connect with visitors to the site on a Q&A forum to answer questions, provide help, and gain leads for themselves on a commission basis (flat fee per lead they get from my site, or a percentage of income for a given amount of time).

So that is a quick overview. Here is what I am asking for - critique my site for look and feel, readability of content, ease of navigation, help with finding a good theme to match what I have there now, but also a theme that will facilitate the training program/videos I plan to start and the Q&A forum. Also, take a look at my model and find the flaws... what obstacles will I face in reaching my goals by summer 2013? What is the best software out there for the Q&A I am looking to do (would a forum be best?)? For ebook sales (aMember?)? Finally, what am I doing wrong or not doing that I am completely oblivious to?

Any and all thoughts are much appreciated!

-Mark
http://TheSumOfBusiness.com/ and http://CrossroadsAccountingLLC.com/
Let me know if you have any accounting or business finance questions and I would be happy to help you out!

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
Re: Accounting Blog Review
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:03:29 AM »
I am in a hurry and can't really give you a full comment, but I like your site and plan on reading more today.  Your plan overall sounds good.

I don't see any problems with the blog but I noticed your menus at the top of the blog are in two separate lines:
About Mark Contact Disclaimers Tools & Resources Accounting Services Accounting Business Formation
is on one line, and this is on a second line:
Marketing Passion Payroll

It probably has something to do with the font size on my browser (I use a big font), but it might look nicer if it all fit on one line.

As far as content, I am interested in 1) Should I create a LLC in my home state or in some other state 2) What are the consequences of running an out-of-state LLC in Illinois?

Someday I will make money with my business and I might be interesting in hiring you... I will let you know when that happens :)  Still working on it...

msharman

• Student
    • View Profile
    • The Sum of Business
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 10:08:02 PM »
Hey r00tbeer,

Thanks for the thoughts - I have adjusted that header and put all of the categories under a dropdown menu so that it all fits on that top line. I think I need to add a picture of myself and brief intro to the top sidebar on the home page - thoughts on this?

Since you and many others have asked me about which State to set up an LLC or corporation in, I have written an article about this issue. Now I do not speak from a legal standpoint, even though I do understand the differences between the States legally and in terms of liability - that is just not my forte or my focus as an Accountant. I am more focused on the financial/accounting side. Anyway, Illinois is pretty rough in terms of business tax code and licensing, and isn't too bad or too good in the other aspects of running a business. If you are running an out-of-state LLC in Illinois you will need to file as a foreign entity and will be subject to most of the same regulations, taxes, and fees. If you are living in Illinois and doing business there, from a financial/accounting standpoint I would set up my business there. From the legal side, I would look at another State and coming into Illinois as a foreign entity even though it will cost you more in fees to do so, but that is for a lawyer to help you out with.

Anyway, you can read more at http://thesumofbusiness.com/best-states-for-a-small-business/ if you are interested, but you should also check out http://www.thumbtack.com/il/ for a review of Illinois - this is a great chart and survey that puts it all in one place for you from the financial/accounting/business management side of things.

Thanks for reviewing my site, and I hope my thoughts help you out a little as well!

Mark
http://TheSumOfBusiness.com/ and http://CrossroadsAccountingLLC.com/
Let me know if you have any accounting or business finance questions and I would be happy to help you out!

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:37:35 AM »
Your site is looking good to me now.  I don't know about intros/sidebars/photos... I think it looks okay the way it is but I'm no design expert as you can see from my site :)

Although I do own property in Wisconsin (my "bug out location" -- actually my future home I hope) -- I don't have any residence there or even running water.  SO for now I guess I will be stuck in Illinois.  I am not planning on actually paying to setup the LLC until I get a storefront running on my site.  This way I will not have a legal liability if I burn someone's house down with an electronics project I sell them or something like that.