January 21, 2018, 08:03:35 PM

Author Topic: Need some help, BE HONEST please!  (Read 2077 times)

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
Need some help, BE HONEST please!
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:27:52 AM »
Hey Guys and Gals,

I've been blogging for almost a year now, not consistently. My website is www.AgriculturalInsights.com . I was doing it everyday, but as of late I'm posting 3 times a week with diverse content. Video, photos, writing and podcasts. However,  I'm in the middle of doing 3 ranching internships, and I will be moving out of the country shortly for 6 months to complete my last internship, not using this as an excuse just saying. I'm learning about sustainable cattle ranching. So, most of my content, depending on how often I can post while I'm out of the country will be written. However, I will take video, photos and notes for when I come back to the states and can access a high speed internet connection.

I have about a month before I leave, so I'm asking what can I do during this month to get more traffic or improve my overall website? Paying for traffic is out of the question for now, sorry. Any suggestions that you all can make about the content of the site, the layout, traffic tips or anything else like that would be greatly appreciated. I've hit a wall when it comes to getting more traffic. I'm active on twitter and Facebook and I'm averaging about 30 unique visitors a day.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:35:51 AM by Chris Stelzer »
Agricultrual Insights a blog dedicated to sustainable agriculture and grazing.

Ian

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Weapons
    • Email
Re: Need some help, BE HONEST please!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:15:28 AM »
I'm no style guru, but I think your layout and overall site design look just fine.

It looks like you've been doing about 3 posts/week for three months, and I think you need to keep going longer to let traffic build. As for twitter and facebook, how many ranchers use them? Maybe I have the wrong impression about modern ranchers, but I don't picture them on much social media. Perhaps you would do better to find some forums that cater to your niche and establish yourself there instead of spending time on facebook?

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:54:24 AM »
Ian,

You always give great advice, thank you. I never even considered spending my time on a Ranching forum. There are many "wanna be farmers/ranchers" or beginning farmers/ranchers on FB that could really benefit from my content. However, I agree with you that focusing more on practicing farmers and ranchers might just be the way to go. It might surprise you, but there are quite a few ranchers using social media =D

Regarding the traffic, I think you are probably right about that too. I just want more traffic now! Typical impatience on my part. When I first started I really had something going, I was posting everyday, and people were commenting and I had more traffic. I want to say it was around 50-60 visitors a day, which was a big deal for me. I wish I could get those numbers now! Sad I know. Going back to 5 days a week would be best.

However, I have one more concern. I feel like I'm producing really great content. Stuff that I hope to sell one day. My worry is I might "run out" of content. But I guess as my experience grown, I'll have more content. Do any of you ever worry about "giving away" too much. I've narrowed the focus of my posts. For example if I wanted to talk about "Grazing Management," instead of going over fencing, planning, techniques, livestock handling all at once, I'm breaking those down into individual posts.

Additional suggestions are always welcome, thank you.

ag2

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 10:55:04 AM »
Don't assume your audience is just farmers and ranchers or should be just farmers and ranchers.  There are a lot more wannabees than the real thing.  Look at how many people visit the popular weapons forums.  Most are not specops, soldiers or cops (many are, but not all) Wannabees.  You can make make a living from the wannabees and those who plan to make that lifestyle change.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is you might want to think about your audience.  You want to be authentic and not exclude your real farmers and ranchers.  Your reputation is important and you might want to interview some authentic cowboys in the future.  At the same time, you do not want to alienate whatever becomes your mainstream audience.  And right now, you can not predict who that will be.

Kiwimana

• Student
  • Its the kiwimana Buzz....
    • View Profile
    • kiwimana
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:51:59 PM »
Hi,

Page looks good, how about adding a photo on the about me page.  It's all about building brand (no pun intended).

People like to see who they are reading, they shouldn't have to go to your personal site to see you.  Your blog is your personal site.

While you are away, take an iPad or similar and blog like crazy.  and then drip feed these posts on a weekly or daily basis while you are offline.  Then at least your customers will be getting content.

If you haven't grab a copy of the book Crush it, by  Gary-Vaynerchuk.  I found it very useful.

Good luck with the future.

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:11:27 PM »
@ag2, thank you for that. I think you are right on when you say I could make a living from the "wannabes". I myself was once one of them and in some ways, I still am. When do you think I will know who my audience is?

@Kiwimana, I took your advice and added my picture on the About page. I think you are right, people want to know who I am and what I look like. They can see this in the videos, but not everyone watches them I suppose. I did read Crush It and I liked it.

Thanks for the advice!

ag2

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 03:55:08 PM »
@ag2, .........When do you think I will know who my audience is?

Ask them.  Post a poll question for your audience to click.  People enjoy clicking their vote to see everyone elses and compare themselves against the rest of the audience.

o I am a farmer and farm more than x acres for profit (or something like that)
o I am a hobby farmer
o I am a gardener
o I plan to move to rural land within the next 3 years
o other

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »
@ag2, .........When do you think I will know who my audience is?

Ask them.  Post a poll question for your audience to click.  People enjoy clicking their vote to see everyone elses and compare themselves against the rest of the audience.

o I am a farmer and farm more than x acres for profit (or something like that)
o I am a hobby farmer
o I am a gardener
o I plan to move to rural land within the next 3 years
o other

That for that tip, I like the idea for a pool. Any good plugins that you are aware of for polling?

PaulAyling

• Student
    • View Profile
    • More about me
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 01:26:26 AM »
Just a quick one I think if you changed the text colour of the banner to black it would look better as the font is a bit think on the multicoloured background

Regards

Paul