January 21, 2018, 08:14:13 PM

Author Topic: How do you focus the Twitter machine?  (Read 1764 times)

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
How do you focus the Twitter machine?
« on: August 28, 2012, 07:42:47 AM »
Hey everyone,

Well, the Scarydad website is rolling along very well. As we get closer to Halloween the daily visit count is ticking upward at a steady pace. I have a plan in place for incremental growth and it does seem to be working. However...

On Twitter I have 60 followers, of which I think 3 or 4 are real people. The others are organizations within my niche. This is cool and I'm not complaining at all. I'm just looking for tips on how to find real, actual, individual people to add to the Twitter following. You know, the people who would eventually visit and subscribe to my site.

I've gone through and followed random folks who follow the other companies and I get the occasional follow-back or shout-out, but not the volume one would expect.

In addition, I would also like to find another demographic- I have a Pinterest for my site and I've gotten the most site subscribers from there. How do I get the crafty female Pinterest followers to join me on Twitter too?

I also wonder if I should care given I'm reaching two distinct audiences with the different outlets.

What do you guys think?

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
Re: How do you focus the Twitter machine?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:41:07 AM »
I am using Hashtags related to my subjects and write my opinions about something. I am also using the search function to search for something in my niche, for example I search for "nudlar" (noodles in Swedish) and comment to posts where they say it's cheap, in fact noodles costs four times more than pasta in Sweden.

Because I almost only tweets in Swedish I can't get as many followers as if I was tweeting in English. But after eight months I have 257 followers, I follow 115 people and I have tweeted 2 145 tweets. I post about 10 tweets every day, many of them retweets (sorry) but it works.
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

Kiwimana

• Student
  • Its the kiwimana Buzz....
    • View Profile
    • kiwimana
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:11:45 PM »
Hi,

As Fjorgynn said, search for hash tags and keywords in your genre and comment on peoples questions.

I have got a few new followers this way, and you are getting people that are interested in what you are doing.

Remember its not the numbers its the quality of the people behind those numbers.

The other thing you can do is looking people following the people you follow, check out their profiles for like minded tweeters.

humblemechanic

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • HumbleMechanic.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 03:12:37 PM »
Just like the other have said. This is what I did, and it worked really well. Basically the same thing I did with Facebook. I use twitter more because the mobile is so much better. I use my phone for most of my SM stuff.

I followed Volkswagen. Then went though their followers and followed a bunch of them. I tried to follow all the the people that were real users not bots.

Then it is all about interaction. @reply people when they say something that is of interest to you. I also did searches like #carproblems then read their tweet and offered help if I could.

Blogging about car repair and life in a VW dealership

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 03:33:56 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm going to increase my presence on Twitter and do a bit more strategic "following" and commenting. Always moving forward!

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:22:04 PM »
Yup. It also did all the stuff suggested, and it has worked well for me. I have very diligent about finding people who post about beekeeping and will make a comment, answer a question, or ask a question. I've gotten lots of niche related followers that way.

Good luck!

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »
Great advice.  Another thing, your pinterest crew may not be using twitter as much and they use pinterest.  The idea is to connect on the main social media sites as your audience will have different favorites.

#tags  are great, so are lists, as you follow people you may want to list them, you may want to make a beekeeper list, there is a road to 100 k list on another thread, I have a wordpress list, and local area list, and lists for people I've met on various groups by group name.   You can't catch all that goes through, but I do catch the @'s.   Or I may sort through the "noise" (too many people) but listening and commenting on one group at a time.

Once you get the hang of things, there are tools to help, which let you know best time of day to tweet, etc.