January 21, 2018, 07:59:34 PM

Author Topic: Looking for some help on what to do next  (Read 2154 times)

pmccloud

• Student
    • View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuy.net
    • Email
Looking for some help on what to do next
« on: August 15, 2012, 03:11:31 PM »
I have started a blog at http://www.themusclecarguy.net writing about muscle cars.  I have had an aha moment on the content, and rather than just writing about the cars like pretty much every one else, I would go at it from a more technical side.

I have done a little with the look of the page, but it seems like it could look a lot better.  Unfortunately, I am not sure what I have done right/wrong and I would appreciate some feedback.

I would like this to be a money making blog for me, but since I have had it up less than a month I am not getting much traffic yet so I thought this would be a good time to tweak the look a little to get me by until I have enough traffic to make it so I can afford to get some help on it.

I appreciate any feedback, thanks

VideoGameRescue

• Mentor
  • Bring an old friend back to life!
    • View Profile
    • Video Game Rescue
    • Email
Re: Looking for some help on what to do next
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:19:35 PM »
It looks good so far. I did notice you don't have a button to email you directly and you may want to do that. I would also say finding your audience would help a ton. I found mine on twitter and reddit. StumbleUpon has been huge as well.
Retro Gaming and bring an old friend back to life!

pmccloud

• Student
    • View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuy.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:35:06 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I have put my site into stumble upon, but I haven't done any paid traffic on it.  I am on twitter with my site, but I don't really use twitter personally.  I did put it in reddit this morning.  Have to see if it helps.

For now, I am trying to make sure I have as much content as possible at this point, and watching what search queries my site comes up on and trying to up the rankings.

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 10:36:34 AM »
First of all you should install a plugin for sharing posts easily with buttons in every post.

* http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/shareaholic/
* http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/sociable/

Have you done any marketing? Are you using Google Webmaster Tools? How about link building?

* You should search for like mustang or "muscle car" on Twitter and answer any questions and such to network with people.
* Add "Blog:" or something like that when you tweet out a new blogpost.

Read: http://www.jackspirko.com/resources
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

pmccloud

• Student
    • View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuy.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:08:48 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the plugin.

I am using Google webmaster tools.  I haven't done any link building yet, I haven't looked at how to get started with that.

I will have to look at searching on Twitter, I wasn't aware you could do that.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • WordPress 101 for Boomers
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 12:57:44 AM »
To me, websites look better if they have a little more margin or background on the edges. 

Your text which goes with your images will look so much better if you center them.   If you use a slider or scroll type gallery for your photos, people wouldn't have to scroll down so much to see all the images and it'd look cool.

Your header image can be tweaked so it looks better.  Your SuperBee square has a 2 tone background, and the rest does not.  This leaves a visible line which breaks up the header.  Not horrible, could work if it that line aligned with your left sidebar.  If I was doing this for a client, I'd move it around a little, try centering both above the white content, possibly the 2 tone across the whole header.  If you get a chance, play with it, try different things, you will know what looks best.

If your ads were the same width on your right sidebar, it'd look more professional. 

If you have an image, even a smaller one at the beginning of your post, it'd draw more attention to the posts.

I've seen some horrible looking websites.  Know a graphic designer in Florida who is great at finding them.  Yours is not one of those. 

I'm just picky from spending too much time looking at wordpress sites, trying various things to improve them. 

pmccloud

• Student
    • View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuy.net
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 06:06:24 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I have played around with my header by making it a single tone background and I think it looks better that way.

I played around with the NextGen scroll gallery, and it looks like I would need to resize my images so they work correctly in IE9.  I may look around for a different gallery that would let me have descriptions for the pics rather than add one to each image.

I am glad to hear that my site didn't look at bad as it did in my head.  I know it doesn't look like a professionally designed site, and it is kind of plain, but at least I am not scaring my few visitors away.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:05:30 PM »
It is looking better, those few little things helped.  Still wishing it had a little more space on the sides.  That said, as long as it is looking good, you can focus on content and traffic.  Cool thing about WordPress is you can make changes as you go along, content stays in place.

pmccloud

• Student
    • View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuy.net
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 09:16:11 AM »
Thanks for the help, what do you mean by space on the side?

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 11:34:35 AM »
Easier to show.   See http://boomerempowerment.com/wordpress101/preview-style-changes-firebug/ and the first image shows one possibility of your site with more space on the side, but do watch the video for more examples.

pmccloud

• Student
    • View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuy.net
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »
Thanks for the tips, the video really helped.  One thing that would be nice with your site, since there is so much there, is a search feature.  If there is one, I didn't see it.

I like the idea of a drop shadow, I will have to look into that more.

Heidi

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 05:25:16 PM »
There is a search button, but it does need to be more visible, not all pages have the sidebar.  Thanks for the input, confirming what I suspected.  I will be adding search to the header area for all pages once I get my girls back in school, fill in more links on tutorial page, and build other resource pages.  Lots to do still before dropping one daughter off at college.   Thanks!