January 21, 2018, 08:54:55 AM

Author Topic: Micro-Transactions (99 cents to $5)  (Read 1490 times)

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
Micro-Transactions (99 cents to $5)
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »
Guys... been wanting to write a book. I outlined it and it's like 6 pages long (just the outline)... OK realistically here is my life right now.

Working on 3 iphone apps on the side, 60 hour a week job, kid, dogs, wife, mountain biking, garden, bees, canning, blog... bla bla bla

OK so where does a 400 page book fit in here..   HOW CAN I GET $$ coming through the door now. Then it dawned on me... MICRO-Transactions

The apple APP store has already PROVEN the enourmous value of micro-transactions. 99cent apps or $1.99 apps.. people will buy these all day long w/o even thinking about it for 2 seconds.

OK so you can't write an app your thinking right now right??? Right?

No big deal. eBooks as micro transaction. Here are a few links I have bought recently on my kindle just because i thought they might be interesting.

http://amzn.to/N1N0lR  99cents
http://amzn.to/N1N98I $2.99
http://amzn.to/N1NbNN $4.95
http://amzn.to/N1Nkkv $2.99

The average length is 15 to 40 pages (40 being the $4.95)

For the 99cent mark you just need to get to 12 to 15 pages and OBVIOUSLY make it freaking good. (goes w/o saying)

Your book.. first page is about you. Don't sell em' hard here but a paragraph and include some basic how to connect w/ you links

Last page. Here is the hard sell. Link all your products up here. As you add more products you can update your files so that all your products have ads that link them all together.

Also put in some calls ot action here... like facebook or email list signup. Podcast feed. whatever you got going on.

NEXT STEP- Dictate the book ... provide some off the cuff comments on it... just to keep it fun.  Now you got an MP3 you can sell on itunes as an audio book.. and similar markets as well as your website.

Get yourself a cart platform capable of handling both PAYPAL and DIGITAL PRODUCTS

Here is a free one that I use as a pro and it works like a charm: http://www.cs-cart.com/free.html

Has paypal checkout and will handle AUTOMATIC distribution of your products. This is for direct purchasing. Obviously when sold via amazon.com amazon will handle that part for their cut.

Jack was talking about eBook pricing.. but I think he is thinking about the clickbank market and not really the amazon.com market.. which is more like the itunes app store. It's all about micro transactions.

Short, concise, useful and can capture the short attention span of the modern consumer.. get you out there and established with new customers.

Just don't forget to upsell them on other items in the book.. keep it rolling

OK this is just my brain dump. I'm going to give it a go and see what's up.

My first book will be on building homemade smokers. Doing 3 designs and going to include recipes and basic BBQ overview.

Most of the content will be PICTURES and it's going to be awesome. I'll post up a download for ya'll to see for free and we can run this experiment together. Who else is going to try this with me?   Lets set some goals, set some dates and check back in w/ the results...

Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

r00tbeer

• Mentor
  • root with zeroes
    • View Profile
    • Cashdollar Automation
    • Email
Re: Micro-Transactions (99 cents to $5)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 01:07:14 AM »
Hmm.. well these are the sorts of things that sound easy but end up taking a massive amount of time.  I can think of a few things right now -- How to do X with Y -- type books, but is it worth spending a day or two skipping a blog post to write a fifteen page book?

Let us know if this works for you.  I am tempted to do a few myself but am reluctant to spend time on something that may amount to nothing.

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:37:37 PM »
@rootbeer... why not spend 3 days blogging and then take the same content and sell it on amazon. Why does it have to be one or the other... and yes, as I explained in the post plenty of books on amazon are just packed up blogged posts

Take the primal smoothies book.. these are all blog posts on his blogged.. packaged up nicely in book form

People, I'm proof, will pay for you to make information accessible to their device and offline. 

So it doesn't have to be "skip the blog posts and write the book"

You can do both simultaneously

-Nick
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »
This is a freaking AWESOME idea. I just started to format an eBook, and all of the content is from my blog. I'm considering doing this seriously now. Thank you. I just need to get some more damn traffic!! I will look at this more seriously on Monday, but for now it's football time =D

Thanks Nick
Agricultrual Insights a blog dedicated to sustainable agriculture and grazing.