January 19, 2018, 11:04:19 PM

Author Topic: Not yet sure what to do to keep up my regular post  (Read 1741 times)

gnarledwolf

• Student
    • View Profile
    • It Began With A Pencil
    • Email
Not yet sure what to do to keep up my regular post
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:43:56 AM »
hello,
     I started the art blog with the intent to post every other day... one day to create a tutorial, and the next to finish and post it.  I'm trying to appeal to all age groups and skill levels.  Maybe it's just because I'm just starting out, but I do have to figure out a way for it to not take so much time.  I posted my second post yesterday, and it took me 3 hours to prep it.  I'm also reconsidering my format.  I've posted .jpg images at full res because I don't want to have to screw with html code every time on top of having to do the lesson.  A person has to simply click on the link and go the the posted .jpg on which I've put the tutorial for that day. It makes it easy to archive and for people to just download and view offline later if they choose.

-the big problem to this is that search drivers are searching for text and keywords, NOT images, so all it has to go on is my alt text for the image.
-Can someone please take a look at http://www.mattdegelleke.com and tell me if I should stick with this format or resort to html for my lessons? I'm in the middle of relearning everything I've every forgotten about html, but I very much want optimization.

Thanks,
Matt
www.mattdegelleke.com
It Began With A Pencil
creating art on piece at a time.

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
Re: Not yet sure what to do to keep up my regular post
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »
I think you shouldn't put the info in the image and simply add it to the post. That would allow for search engines to find it and allow you to adjust later should a logo change or whatever.

If you want readers to be able to save the item for later, look for a plugin that lets them save the post as a pdf. (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=save+pdf)

I wouldn't even do that. Instead, I'd sell them an ebook in 6 months. This is a business forum. You want your content to be yummy snacks that build the Know, Like, Trust factor. Then they'll want you to sell them dinner. Don't give away the meal. (But I don't know your plan! ;))

Good luck,

Josh

toptec

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Experience Homesteading
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »
I agree with Josh.  Use WordPress SEO plugin and use your keywords in the title of your post.  You can use Google Adwords keyword tool to find higher searched keywords for your subject.  Check out episodes 5 & 6 of 5MWJ.
Like the look of your webpage. (Other than you have two links to the site map on top)
www.experiencehomesteading.com  A self-sufficient lifestyle journey

gnarledwolf

• Student
    • View Profile
    • It Began With A Pencil
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 07:18:18 PM »
I've been looking into options and I'm going to come up with a few templates to toss my lessons on to so I can track better with anaylitics and so search spiders can find them.  I do plan to compile the lessons into an e-book in about 6 months to sell for cheap. It's all about gathering an audiance now.  thanks for your reply:)  I do have seo installed and i'm making little changes daily.
Matt
www.mattdegelleke.com
It Began With A Pencil
creating art on piece at a time.

Josh

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Digital Band Incubator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:55:47 PM »
I read Re-Word by Jason Fried. It introduced me to the idea of the minimum viable product. Don't build the greatest ebook. Do whatever you can do in a week and sell it for $5.

I think I'm going to steal the idea and call it a "Tyler Durden product" since he had "The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide." That's really what it's about. If you have something worth saying and selling, then half of it is worth saying or selling. Give them the rest when you can. Screw the rest of the BS.

krizza

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Terra Firma Adventures
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 12:07:38 AM »
i agree with Josh, and a simpler or more condensed version probably wont be so overwhelming. The good thing also may be that as long as there is $5 of value, people won't feel ripped off, and it becomes more of a teaser product. The quick crank it out version may provide a small revenue stream while working up to something bigger, and if nothing else you'll get experience in the process of creating the content, writing the text and documenting everything else in between. I think I'm going to try to do something along the suggested lines.
thank you for the ideas guys...