Author Topic: polls  (Read 1955 times)

apocalypticfiction

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Apocalyptic Fiction
    • Email
polls
« on: July 31, 2012, 08:54:18 PM »
I have been kicking around the idea of polling at my blog to increase my traffic. Anybody have experience with polling? Here's my poll post: http://apocalypticfiction.com/realistic-apocalyptic-books/
Please let me know what you think and provide any feedback you can. Thank you.

Jesse2004

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Priv.ly Experiences
    • Email
Re: polls
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »
My experience is older, 2-3 years ago, and not on a blog, so I'm not sure how applicable it is.  What i saw was that the polls were useful when you have a number of followers who are less engaged.  It can cause them to take an action and perhaps get more involved.  I don't know how many new folks will show up to vote in a poll like this.

I found that posting controversial opinions / materials was more likely to have new people see it, though getting them to stick around could be trickier.
Publically blogging my experiences with private sharing on social media (using Priv.ly)

https://myprivlyexperience.wordpress.com/

apocalypticfiction

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Apocalyptic Fiction
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »
Thanks for replying and for sharing your experience Jesse!

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »
Why not have a poll every week and in the end of the week blog about your opinion and the poll result.
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »
When I've voted on a poll, it was usually because of an intriguing question I saw on my Twitter feed.

BTW, where'd you get those floating social media buttons? Is it a plugin?

apocalypticfiction

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Apocalyptic Fiction
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 08:49:32 AM »
Why not have a poll every week and in the end of the week blog about your opinion and the poll result.

That's an awsome idea! Thank you!  :)

apocalypticfiction

• Student
    • View Profile
    • Apocalyptic Fiction
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »
When I've voted on a poll, it was usually because of an intriguing question I saw on my Twitter feed.

BTW, where'd you get those floating social media buttons? Is it a plugin?

Thanks for your suggestion! I think you're right, the poll needs to be intriguing or maybe even slightly controversial to get people's attention.

The floating social media buttons is a wordpress plugin called floating social media icon by Acurax. They have a free and premium version...the one I use is free, the premium one is $25 and gives you more options such as where it floats, etc. ...Oh and just so you know the floating icon does not function properly on my iphone - the icon continues to float down towards the bottom right corner causing the screen to become extremely small...I don't think it ever stops moving down that way either...I guess the screen becomes smaller to infinity... :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 09:06:23 AM by apocalypticfiction »

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »
Exactly, then I would have to go and be my nosy self! ;D

Seriously, that or some kind of contest always pulls me in.

Thanks for the heads up on that plugin. I appreciate it.

BillyS

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 07:10:01 AM »
I'm starting a fun kind of poll on Twitter that I will eventually move over to my blog as a "research results" post. I don't have very many followers yet, so I'm hoping to gain more. Mine is very simple. Each day I ask a question: Which is scarier- Clowns or Old Dolls? Which is scarier- Being buried alive or being burnt at the stake?

I'm taking notes of the results and in a couple weeks I'll post a bracket and show the winner.

But it's definitely more of a social network thing than a blog thing at this point.