January 21, 2018, 08:54:21 AM

Author Topic: Recommended e-book formatters  (Read 2097 times)

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Urban Farm and Beehives
Recommended e-book formatters
« on: July 27, 2012, 05:22:43 PM »
Someone here recommended Pat Flynn's podcast on smartpassiveincome.com. I've listened to the whole thing in the past three weeks, and it's awesome. Pat recommended someone for e-book formatting. Anyone know who it is? Or does anyone have anyone else to recommend?

Thanks!
Mil

Fjorgynn

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Swedish Prepper
    • Email
Re: Recommended e-book formatters
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:55:52 AM »
How do you mean? If you sign up for his newsletter you'll get his ebook about how to write a pdf-ebook.
Do you know Swedish? Read my blog, Swedish Prepper
Forum threads I recommend: Remove noise in Audacity, Basic SEO for bloggers

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:43:39 PM »
How do you mean? If you sign up for his newsletter you'll get his ebook about how to write a pdf-ebook.

He suggested a certain person to do the formatting of an e-book. I can turn all my pages into a PDF format, but I was looking more for someone who can beautify the look of my e-book. Like how his e-book looks.

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 10:20:21 PM »
Only quasi-related... but don't over-format your book!

Don't forget a HUGE market for your book. E-Readers... specifically kindle.

If you put in nice margins and fancy boxes and shit it won't work on the kindle.

So plan to make either 2 version or just K.I.S.S. and get it out there and sold.

Your ad copy is much more important. Not saying you shouldn't have a good quality product... but content is king and to be frank.. you've already got their money at that point.
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

UFAB

• Sr. Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:17:43 PM »
Kindle is becoming big. I just read a 1 star book review on Amazon; the person didn't like the Kindle formatting and gave it a 1 star because of it. She said she loved the book. Interesting...

save our skills

• Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Save Our Skills
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
UFAB.. the moral is Microsoft Word... write the book... use good picutures... done! No need to hire a graphic designer unless it is to do you Ad or your cover
Save Our Skills
It is up! The Survival Channel If you have a survival or prepper blog please PM me!

ag2

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »
I would agree to keep in simple.  However, if you want to provide some choices to the buyer, it can be very easy to do.  Create your book in MS Word or most any word processor. 
Download this program called "Calibre".

http://calibre-ebook.com/

I use it all the time to manage my library because I can purchase Kindle books and convert them to e-pub for my Nook.  I prefer Nook over Kindle.  I owned and sold the Kindle because most public libraries let you borrow their ebooks.  These are all in e-pub format.  So I do less converting this way.

So using Calibre, you can convert word to PDF, Kindle epub and many other formats.  You can also see how they look in each format without the needs to buy both Kindle and Nook.

msharman

• Student
    • View Profile
    • The Sum of Business
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »
Thanks ag2!

I just downloaded Calibre and am working through the tutorials, but that definitely gives me a better look at what the ebook I am working on will look like in the different formats... great tool!

-Mark
http://TheSumOfBusiness.com/ and http://CrossroadsAccountingLLC.com/
Let me know if you have any accounting or business finance questions and I would be happy to help you out!

Chris Stelzer

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Agricultrual Insights
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
Do you guys/gals have an opinion about whether or not to use standard formatting, 2 or 3 columns? I'm more of the keep it simple stupid persuasion =D, so knowing that, what would your recommendations be? Also, does anyone have any example of their ebooks? Maybe one you give away for free. I have Pat Flynn's, and it's a little fancy.
Agricultrual Insights a blog dedicated to sustainable agriculture and grazing.